What do 777 pilots say about the machine?

I've been wondering how our new machines are to operate and just generally what those doing the operating think of them??... Are they at all like a '67 to fly?

...I saw a video recently of their development, production and first flights... The Boeing test pilots obviously weren't about to dis them on film, but it did appear the enthusiasm was genuine....

Does anyone here have any first hand knowlege?... or, barring that, even any second hand tales?

Nothing negative on the ACPA forum...the only thread has to do with "how come no side stick?"

No real comments as to guys who are flying it being in love with it...yet...probably still feeling their way through the "magic". tongue.gif

The answers range from "easier progression from B767" to a Boeing rep saying the reason there is no side stick is "NDH".... (Not Developed Here) wink.gif

Thanks Kip. So I take it a lot of sidestick flyers prefer them over a traditional yoke?

I would guess the 777 would be an easier progression from a '67 than from a bus of any kind... Boeing does seem to have been learning a few new tricks over the years, but their airplanes still ooze Boeing from all sorts of nooks and cranny's. Just as all Airbus's reek of Airbus everywhere you poke your nose. tongue.gif

Hi Mitch

Actually I've heard that because of the technology the transistion to the "Triple" is easier if you've come off of the 340 than it is if you're off the 67. But that may have just been one person'e opinion.

Greg

A neighbour of ours up here (and coursemate of Greg's) is on course right now, coming off the 340, and he loves it.

We know a couple of guys who are on it, and haven't heard anything negative about it.

Cheers, Jennifer

First 777 seriously damaged in Toronto today. She was all loaded up, bridge was off, tractor hooked up..... Captain released the brakes, aircraft rolled, bent the towbar, nose wheels moved 17 feet before fuselage came into contact with the bridge, punctureing fuselage. Bummer. sad.gif

First 777 seriously damaged in Toronto today. She was all loaded up, bridge was off, tractor hooked up..... Captain released the brakes, aircraft rolled, bent the towbar, nose wheels moved 17 feet before fuselage came into contact with the bridge, punctureing fuselage. Bummer. sad.gif

curious, if the tractor was hooked up how did it roll ??

Where was the driver ??

Details are sketchy at this point (at least the ones I've heard are huh.gif ) Two stories emerging.... One says tug was "wrong" tug and the a/c pulled it as it rolled, even though the tug's brake was set! - That one I might have less trouble believing if we had our airplanes sitting on a great walloping slope at the gate, but they're purt-near level s'far as I can see, and knowing something of the power required to get these airplanes to even begin to roll....especially when loaded.... dry.gif

Next tale has someone pushing the gas pedal in the tug.... the trouble with that tale is; even though it's much more believable, it's being told by people who weren't anywhere near the scene. tongue.gif

Chico is right though.. not much to see... it's only a small wrinkle... still, it's sad.

Oh, and yes Spinny, that green area is 2024 al you mini um - a little less of it on one of them now.

The plot thickens... a third story has emerged...

I just heard the aircraft was pushed back with the door open, and is still out of service.

Amazing, but typical of the airline industry, that one incident can so quickly spin so many different versions.

Anyway, if anyone hears something plausible from a reliable source, I'd be interested to know what really happened. wink.gif

Cheers, Jennifer

I just heard the aircraft was pushed back with the door open,

Now THAT doesn't seem too likely.....

And yes, it is still out of service. The estimate is now noon on Tuesday.

Archived