Aircraft Accidents

I have commented recently on the increasing number of accidents involving pilots that may have been relying on technology or just a lack of experience…..here is another accident which raises some questions:

Does anybody know of a Piper Lance … CFBWH?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-after-single-engine-plane-crashes-40-nashville/story?id=107796017

The flight originated in Ontario — specifically Milton, according to reports — and made stops along the way that were likely to gas up, including in Erie, Pa., and Mount Sterling, Ky., McCarter said. Before the pilot radioed in the emergency, the plane had been on a normal flight track with no mechanical irregularities reported while it flew in from the Kentucky airport, McCarter added.

The plane was based at the Brampton Flight Centre, which is owned and operated by the Brampton Flying Club, said its general manager, Allan Paige. He could not say whether the plane took off from there, however, as the airport is uncontrolled and does not have flight records.

The Canadian Civil Aircraft Register shows the aircraft was registered to a numbered company as of last July. The business is registered to an address in Vaughan, Ont., according to provincial business records.

Seeing as the pilot reported an engine failure to ATC, I'm not sure how a reliance on automation would be a factor here. So far it sounds like he struck a major set of power lines as he was trying to put it on the highway.

3 hours ago, J.O. said:

Seeing as the pilot reported an engine failure to ATC, I'm not sure how a reliance on automation would be a factor here. So far it sounds like he struck a major set of power lines as he was trying to put it on the highway.

I got a knot in my stomach reading the article above.  1600 feet.  Over a city. dark and engine out, equals no good options.

My condolences to the family.

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, Kip Powick said:

Sounds like the pilot let his ego get ahead of common sense...

Do you know the hardest maneuver for a pilot to complete???

It’s a 180! 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, st27 said:

It’s a 180! 😉

I did thousands of 180's. Mind you, it was as a spray pilot.

17 minutes ago, st27 said:

It’s a 180! 😉

I think the hardest maneuver for a pilot is to admit he is not as good as he thinks he is, and now needs help.....ergo...ego

• Like 3

So the plane lands, pulls up to the terminal, the gate is put in place, ground power is put into place and, whoa.... the drama of travel isn't over.

• Sad 1

On 5/14/2024 at 10:56 AM, dagger said:

So the plane lands, pulls up to the terminal, the gate is put in place, ground power is put into place and, whoa.... the drama of travel isn't over.

someone finally hit it with a fire extinguisher almost 5 minutes later.

On 5/15/2024 at 9:37 PM, conehead said:

Here's another shot of that brand new Bombardier Global at the run-up area at Pearson;

No alt text provided for this image

is there a story anywhere?

8 hours ago, boestar said:

is there a story anywhere?

No, I can’t find one. You know anyone that works there? It would be interesting to learn the details… we’ve seen this sort of thing several times over the years.

I am sure that by now  almost everyone knows the President of Iran, (+6 or 7 ?), died in a helo crash yesterday. I happened to have CNN on when the news hit. It appears " Iranian goverment sources" were stating that it was not a hard landing just rather an abrupt landing due to weather..

As we all know, best you have actual facts before pontificating about any incident concerning aircraft.

If you have seen the video of the crash site, I wonder how the Iranian "spokes person" would describe a "catasthrophic landing".

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/21/one-dead-as-singapore-airlines-flight-encounters-severe-turbulence.html

One dead, 30 injured as Singapore Airlines flight encounters severe turbulence

KEY POINTS
  • One person died aboard a Singapore Airlines flight which encountered severe turbulence and diverted to Bangkok, the airline said Tuesday.
  • The flight had left London for Singapore, and was rerouted to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport.

And I wonder how many of the injured, and possibly the deceased individual, were wearing seat belts.

Funny how people in cars wear a seatbelt, (mandatory just about everywhere), and max speed might be 120km/hr yet sitting in a tube, without air bags etc, doing  over 950km/hr  figure they will never hit a bump....

Doesn't matter how smooth it is the SEATBELT should ALWAYS BE FASTENED. (yeh, I know, preaching to the choir here😅)

On 5/19/2024 at 8:17 AM, Kip Powick said:

Jumped the chocks while doing a run-up is all that every article has.

My sources tell me that during a high power engine run, with the parking brake set, the brakes failed. They are no longer allowed to carry out engine runs at that location, they must go out to the runway.

16 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

laugh.jpg

image.png.594f561e0616da6ca6ff5e882f75773d.pngAn air pocket, also known as clear-air turbulence (CAT), is an area of rapidly changing air pressure that can cause sudden and violent movements of an aircraft. They are often invisible to the naked eye, and can occur at any altitude, but are most common in the troposphere, the lowest layer of Earth's atmosphere.Aug 3, 2023