GTAA Buys International Center

deicer

From the linked article:  

"But with the Greater Toronto Airport Authority (GTAA) pushing hard for its multibillion-dollar transit hub, there are concerns this land could be used as its future site.

The proposed transit hub is part of the GTAA strategy to drive passenger growth at Pearson airport." 

Ahhh, the GTAA can't even handle the passenger levels it has now, how would ever handle "growth."

Maybe the GTAA has found that operating an airport is just too expensive and complicated so they will be closing 05/23 to allow construction of more stores and food concessions. The convention centre will complete the retail experience.

One of the great things about the international Centre is the free parking.  It is a very attractive venue for that very reason.  Attending an event at say the Enercare centre will set you back $25 for parking alone plus the price of admission.

I can see the GTAA monetizing the parking at the venue which will have a negative effect on it viability ongoing.

8 minutes ago, boestar said:

One of the great things about the international Centre is the free parking.  It is a very attractive venue for that very reason.  Attending an event at say the Enercare centre will set you back $25 for parking alone plus the price of admission.

I can see the GTAA monetizing the parking at the venue which will have a negative effect on it viability ongoing.

I would bet the "free" parking would be the first thing to go.

The free parking aspect of the International Centre is one of its biggest perks. There are other options. The Congress Centre nearby has free parking and can house a lot of the same events. It even has the advantage of single fare TTC service, whereas you have to pay double fare on the TTC to get to the International Centre. The trade centre in Mississauga on Derry Road west of the airport is a popular - and easily expandable venue. Lots of vacant land.

My take is that this is about the transit hub, but it's not inconceivable it could keep the International Centre as a trade show and events venue. The centre is really large, and parking could be expanded by building an above ground parking garage. There is a GO rail station right at the International Centre, so that is likely part of the rationale for tying down space at the centre. But there is no regular connection from that station to the airport, as there is from the YYZ long-term parking garage. I suppose they could extend the terminal cable train to the Intl Centre location. Or they could add a separate rail link, which would just complicate things at the airport itself. The potential Eglinton LRT and BRT/LRT link to the Mississauga transit network would be better served by a transit centre at the long-term parking garage. Otherwise, it means extending them further, at more cost. Extending the Finch LRT to the airport would work better if the transit hub is at the International Centre.

The best way to do this sort of thing is to have the rail/subway stop at the airport.  I'm not from Toronto so I have nothing to gain or lose but the subway system should have be arranged/designed with the airport at one end of a line.  Yeah, I know, at the time there was no development along the corridor that would support the airport end of it but if you build it they will come.  If the subway system had the airport at the end of one of the lines the corridor would have been built up with condos, apartments, malls, etc.  So now we're stuck with all sorts of cobbled together nonsense - buses, UPexpress, cable-car trains.  Short-sighted.

The international centre does not seem like the correct spot.  Any connection to transit from the city would need to bypass the airport to get there.  It works for Brampton and Points northeast but not south.

The Layout posted by J.O. makes more sense as it is central to the airport.  Problem is they already built a big parking garage on that land and it does not look like that is incorporated into the design.

Malton GO station is adjacent to the IC but that same line (from the other direction) feeds the UP Express.  Would it not make more sense to have the Transit hub in a position that can link it as well? (ie further southeast) 

For all of the land surrounding the airport, IMHO the IC is in about the worst spot of them all.

Archived