OT (Mini-Rant) Justice ??

Kip Powick

26 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

To what crimes are you referring.???

I suspect there is a thought  that everyone, no matter how heinous their crimes can be re deemed / changed.  I for one do not believe that. Evil is evil. full stop.

A lot of emphasis in our justice system is placed upon the altar of rehabilitation. I'm all for that because I believe that everybody makes mistakes, deserves a second chance. When rehabilitation fails, society has a problem. Repeat offenders have used up their second chance with me. When I read the newspaper or watch the TV news and learn of "known to police" criminals with 10, 20, 30 and more convictions on their rap sheet then I think that it is a legitimate question to ask: "Why are these people allowed out on our streets?" When I read about a drunk driver killing one or more people in an automobile accident and then learn that this driver has 2,3,4,5,6, ... 10+ convictions for drunk driving, then I think that it is a legitimate question to ask: "Why is this person allowed to be on our highways and behind the wheel of an automobile?" Well, she/he's probably not "allowed" but he/she is out there because they don't give a damn and have no respect for my life or that of anyone else. By their behaviour, they abandon their rights to walk/drive among us. Mandatory sentences have a place in the "justice" system and such sentences are for the protection of society at large. They may not serve as a deterrent to criminals but they are definitely protective for the rest of us.

I have to agree, and have stated before:

In the case of murder, give them a fair trial, allow an appeal if found guilty, if still guilty beyond a doubt (aka Bernardo) execute them.

If it isn't clear cut (aka Millgard) then incarcerate, as it has been proven that new evidence can come to light over time with new tech.

Save all of us not only the cost, but also be an example to the rest going forward.

And to answer the question of would I push the button, pull the trigger, flip the switch?  In cases like Bernardo, where there is clear evidence, yes.

1 hour ago, Rich Pulman said:

Personally, I'd be much more upset if they let him back in the country. Otherwise, let him be someone else's problem. 

Really, I mean really.....think about what you posted...:o.

It's OK to commit one of the most demeaning crimes, (sexual assault), and leave the country...because once you leave the country Canada won't let you back in...so no problem ???

And "Sorry victim...that's how we work in this government". !!!

Really ????

An aside......my daughter married a man with dual citizenship. He came to our house  a little over 10 years ago to ask permission to marry my daughter. I said, "Let's go for a walk and  have a talk".....

We went for a walk and before I could say anything he said., "Oh, XXXX already told me that you said that if anyone physically assaulted her, and fled the country, you would hunt him down, no matter where he went, and when you found the individual you would kill him."

Our discussion went very well once he found out I wasn't kidding....

Going to see them and our granddaughter in a week or so.;) 

Sentences are supposed to be as much about deterrence as they are to punish the guilty party.

Short of continuing to lock perps in cages for varying periods, do any of you have anything to offer that hasn't already been in use and failed to achieve the public objective for the past fifty years, or so?

If you believe in the "broken window" policing method as some cities adopted years ago you will notice a distinct drop in all crime.

However, in some places in Canada, Vancouver and Victoria for two, you can openly use any illegal drugs you want on the street and you will not get arrested, or even have your drugs taken away. Better yet the city is going to give you a nice dry, safe place to consume your illegal drugs.

You can't smoke cigarettes anywhere in a public building but if you "need" to smoke medical pot, fill your boots. 

Incarceration rates in the US are tied to the fact that the US prison system is a private enterprise.  The Mandatory minimum sentencing practice was put in place to prop up that enterprise and funnel money to government cronies.  The more people in prison, the more the government pays the system.

Fortunately the Mandatory Minimum sentencing practice is being removed in many states since it really does not work.

Well that's the point isn't it.

Mandatory sentencing puts a guy in Jail for 10 years for something like possession of Pot.  Another guy automatically get s the same sentence for selling Coke.

which one is worse?  in much of the US they are no different.  in fact there are people presently in Jail for something that is completely legal in some states, Possession of Pot for personal consumption.  Really?  Why waste the tax payer money on that?  Well because someone is getting very rich off of it. 

The bigger issue is that the guy in on the little charge may well become "hardened" while serving time only to be released and become a dangerous offender.  

The american system is NOT one I would model mine after.  Maybe the Netherlands is a better example.

Today I came out of store and there was a man asking for a hand out.

Being it as Christmas I was in the mood. After giving him  x # of dollars

I asked how he came to this as he looked quite healthy and fit. The

story was he had it all - good three meals every day, living in a nice

warm place, medical, dentist and doing on line for a degree. I asked

" what happened?'  He said " I got paroled."

Archived