Q400 Single Engine Taxi

I've noticed lately (YYZ & YVR) a few Encore Q400's taxiing for departure with the left engine shut down. Prior to their operating this model, I'd only seen the left engines feathered but still running. What's the recommended policy on single engine taxi for the Q400?

I didn't read the entire document provided by Malcolm, but from what I saw, the advice regarding fuel efficiency during various climb profiles did not appear to consider wind speed and direction in their conclusions? I mean, what's the point of conducting a high rate climb to save fuel at altitude when you're looking at 120 kts on the nose once there?

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

I've noticed lately (YYZ & YVR) a few Encore Q400's taxiing for departure with the left engine shut down. Prior to their operating for this model, I'd only seen the left engines feathered but still running. What's the recommended policy on single engine taxi for the Q400?

It's not just Encore, I've seen others practicing this as well.

At Jazz we only do single engine taxi-in.  Taxi out is done on 2 engines.  I believe it's the same at WEN and PD.  

Flybe in Europe I believe does single engine taxi out (and perhaps others), but there are some issues and risks associated outbound that may or may not pass the "risk assessment" for that procedure.  

There are significant fuel savings, and the airplane actually handles just as easy with one shut down in the right conditions.

Nothing worse that getting close to departure and the second engine wont start.  Then its a trip back to the gate or at least a hold to wait for maintenance

That too, but I believe every jet from the CRJ to the 777 does it.

The lack of certain automation on the Q400 would make it riskier than a single engine taxi out on a jet I think.  Autofeather is just one thing that comes to mind.

Porter crashed into the terminal in YHZ several years back taxiing single engine... Can't remember which hydraulic system runs the main brakes, but you need to have the STBY/PTU activated if you want both braking systems available single engine... Guess they figured it out the hard way...

14 hours ago, conehead said:

It's not just Encore, I've seen others practicing this as well.

In this case I'm referring to the taxi out for departure. :)

I'm also curious if Westjet/Encore's departure PA makes reference to the left engine that's not running? 

12 hours ago, Canoehead said:

That too, but I believe every jet from the CRJ to the 777 does it.

The lack of certain automation on the Q400 would make it riskier than a single engine taxi out on a jet I think.  Autofeather is just one thing that comes to mind.

Yes 777 arrival taxi if conditions are dry and no slope on ramp to gate but not recommended for taxi out at heavy weights. Don't know about CRJ policy. 

On 2016-03-08 at 9:35 AM, Malcolm said:

Blues..... this should provide the answer you are looking for. 

Single Engine Taxi
The Q400 average fuel burn for Two Engine Taxi is approximately 12 lb/minute.

The Single Engine Taxi Operations – Considerations and Procedures are presented in the Q400 AOM, Section 3.4.3.11. The potential fuel savings (for
1 engine operating, one engine shutdown) are on the order of 40% for the Start and Taxi fuel.

For example, a standard departure that includes a two engine start followed by a 15 minute taxi will result in a fuel burn of 92.5 kg (204 lb). A single engine start, followed by a 15 minute taxi and delayed second engine start will consume approximately 54.4 kg (120 lb) of fuel.

Archived