Who Needs Those Pesky A M E's?

J.O.

Just kidding of course but this one made me laugh.

Animals Were Sacrificed To Fix This Broken Jet

In 2007, Nepal Airlines sacrificed a pair of goats to help solve some of its aircraft maintenance issues.

According to the BBC, the airline confirmed that the animals were slaughtered at Kathmandu's international airport in front of the airline's malfunctioning Boeing 757-200.

According to the news organization, the 757 - one of two in the airline's fleet - had been suffering from a series of electrical malfunctions in the time leading up to the sacrifice.

In addition to making physical repairs, the airline also decided to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu god of sky protection.

"The snag in the plane has now been fixed and the aircraft has resumed its flights," a senior airline official told Reuters.

Following the ceremony, the aircraft safely completed a flight to Hong Kong.

Nepal Airlines is the government-owned national carrier for the small Himalayan country. Flying is the most effective way to get in or out of the mountainous country.

Unfortunately, the country's aviation safety record is far from stellar. In fact, Nepal Airlines has been rated as one of the least safe airlines in the world by AirlineRatings.com.

Last month, the European Union banned Nepal Airlines planes from entering its airspace.

"The current safety situation in Nepal does not leave us any other choice than to put all of its carriers on the EU air-safety list," European transport commissioner Siim Kallas said in a statement. "We do hope that this ban will help the aviation authorities to improve aviation safety."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nepal-airlines-sacrificed-a-pair-of-goats-it-fix-its-broken-jet-2015-1#ixzz3O953DbHz

Don't know about sacrificing goats but there's a few pilots I'd like to have offered up. The conversations have usually gone kind of like this:

Pilot: :Sob:

AME: :rolleyes:

Pilot: :Furious:

AME: :Furious:

Pilot: :Furious::Furious:

AME: :Furious::icon_axe:

Don't know about sacrificing goats but there's a few pilots I'd like to have offered up. The conversations have usually gone kind of like this:

Pilot: :Sob:

AME: :rolleyes:

Pilot: :Furious:

AME: :Furious:

Pilot: :Furious::Furious:

AME: :Furious::icon_axe:

I am sure there are pilots who would like to sacrifice a few of us too lol

I am sure there are pilots who would like to sacrifice a few of us too lol

Only one. He read me the riot act when I wrote up a snag that grounded the aircraft at an out station where there were no parts. Even threatened to call the chief pilot. He was none too pleased when he received a call from that same chief pilot a few minutes later. Called me everything but Rumplestiltskin as I walked away grinning.

Only one. He read me the riot act when I wrote up a snag that grounded the aircraft at an out station where there were no parts. Even threatened to call the chief pilot. He was none too pleased when he received a call from that same chief pilot a few minutes later. Called me everything but Rumplestiltskin as I walked away grinning.

That was you?????

Sorry about that lol.

Just kidding.

I had one pilot who got the old brake dust soaked glove treament.

He called us up on an Embraer because he dropped his pen by the rudder pedals and did not want to soil the knees of his pants by bending down and picking it up.

When I said no, he said and I quote " I wear a white shirt and you will do what I say"

I laughed and walked out after leaving a big hand print on the back of that white shirt.

For the most part, the pilots have been great and there is a great mutual respect.

Tech Specs/FEs/AMEs….

I don’t want to sound condescending but I have never had to deal with one who was not trying to do his/her best to fix a problem. Nor have I ever had to report a specific individual and while it is true I have had to call “home” and explain that I could not accept the aircraft based on my understanding of the present Regs and Rules, I did my best to ensure that the individual was well aware of why I was making the call.

I still feel that there are some pilots out there who feel that they are the axle that the airline revolves around and unfortunately it would seem that “some” will never realize they are just another spoke in the wheel and while their job is certainly important, the wheel only revolves when all the spokes co-operate and function within the parameters of the operation…… with safety being the most important.

It is a very old cliché but is still very accurate...There is no "I" in "Team".

But Kip! You're forgetting the 'm' & 'e' :stirthepot:

I had a similar experience with an ex-VpO one day. Discussing an issue during that meeting I used the no " i " in team reference to which he said "yes, but there's an M and and E.....and it's all about me". He was serious and I had never heard anyone say that before. Lost total respect at that moment.

Getting back to the topic, I've been lucky and only had good experiences with all aircraft maintenance personel. If you've ever helped change an engine on a DC3 under a tent being heated by a Herman Nelson, you will have a life long respect for the people who keep aircraft flying.

Tech Specs/FEs/AMEs….

I don’t want to sound condescending but I have never had to deal with one who was not trying to do his/her best to fix a problem. Nor have I ever had to report a specific individual and while it is true I have had to call “home” and explain that I could not accept the aircraft based on my understanding of the present Regs and Rules, I did my best to ensure that the individual was well aware of why I was making the call.

I still feel that there are some pilots out there who feel that they are the axle that the airline revolves around and unfortunately it would seem that “some” will never realize they are just another spoke in the wheel and while their job is certainly important, the wheel only revolves when all the spokes co-operate and function within the parameters of the operation…… with safety being the most important.

It is a very old cliché but is still very accurate...There is no "I" in "Team".

Kip

In the near 30 years I have been working on aircraft, I can count on less than 5 times I had to scold a pilot.

I have found the pilot group to be nothing short of spectacular.

Are there some who need egos deflated? Yes there is. But the same holds true for the AME group.

There is one personal story of a pilot I will never forget. It was My Travel in yyz. The entire lav system was down. It was July and hotter than the hobbs of hell.

I had the aft cargo walls open trying to solve the issue. It was an easy 100 plus in the aft section. I was sweating a river trying to solve the issue. Suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder. It was the captain standing there with a tray with a pile of ice a few plastic glasses and a bottle of water and orange juice. The captain sat me down while he made me a few cold drinks.

I ended up solving the issue and the flight crew were so pleased that again the captain opened the booze trolley and said I was to have my choice of any bottle.

Being on duty I could not. But I did thank him.

As I previously stated, the vast majority of the flight ops people are great.

Archived