For Those That Frequent Airports...

Kip Powick

This is an excellent initiative!

One of the basic things we all should do is take a First Aid course. It won't teach you everything, but it will help you to make a difference when it's needed. I will never regret it!

Another thing to consider, is that if you are healthy, become a blood donor. They have removed the age limit. You can give as long as you are healthy. Doesn't cost anything other than an hour of your time every couple months, and you will have an awesome feeling when you are done!

Iceman

I'm a first aid instructor and do teach the use of the AED. If you can read and have common sense, they are a wonderful instrument. All your trying to do is keep the person alive, until the paramedics get there with the big tools.

The AED will also tell you to NOT defribbulate and only continue CPR if the machine reads the heart signs that say do not shock! The new protocol for CPR is 30 compressions - 2 breaths - 30 compressions and so on till help arrives. In an adult your looking for at least 2 - 3" of compression on the chest. ( in older patients - you can and might break ribs - they heal if the patient survives )

Take the test, you may need to use it sometime

We have all walked by the Red Cross sign in airports indicating where

a heart machine is located.

Do you know what is in them and how to use it?

Try this video and see what you think.

If you pick the wrong choice-the man dies

Choose wisely

http://www.heartrescuenow.com/

Thank you for this post Excellent.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

My First aid and CPR have expired. I am waiting for another course to come up at work. I try to keep it current. This and Kips little pill keychain and we are doing well...

I've had first aid courses.... a lot of them.... every 4 years, or whatever it is... and every time I think the best thing for anyone near me whose in big trouble is to look somewhere else! I'd be useless! I watched a motorcycle accident happen once... My knees got weak as I saw the damage the two riders had sustained... I felt faint.... I was the first one to a scene of a Baaad car crash once also.... back when I drove cab, a car with 4 teenagers in it had gone straight at a t-bone intersection and slammed HARD into a brick school wall.... I was good for nothing but getting my dispatcher to call an ambulance. ...weak knees again.... weak mind, I guess? ...when it comes to maimed human bodies anyway.

Somehow, I think I could handle anything if I knew I was the only option, but I'm damned sure my first choice would be to look for someone -Anyone!- else to tell me what to do. Even the voice on that defib gizmo would do the trick. I'll bet those Difibs for Dummies have saved a lot of lives.

Mitch:

I don't blame you at all for feeling that way. Seeing the carnage done to a human body in a Car /Bike accident is not for the weak of stomach at all. I was behind a large accident on the 401 on the way home from work one morning and stopped to render assistance until the EMS arrived. The destruction was unbelievable. Fortunately no one was killed but there were broken limbs everywhere. It was all I could do to contain the contents of my stomach. however the training does help you to "get in the game" and perhaps save a life.

Once the situation was contained and EMS was on scene it all sank in. You wanna talk stress??? I could never do that as a profession for certain.

Archived