How to use quotation marks correctly - some info to share

chockalicious

I thought I woukd share this as a boarrd service so that some posters may figure out when to use quotation marks in their postings.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Quotation-Marks-Correctly

• Quotation marks may also be used around a single word or group of words to indicate use of a borrowed word or phrase. The reader is to understand that anything within quotations was spoken or written by someone other than the author of the work that contains it.
    Example: In a TV interview, Jackson showed off his "slam jam" dance move.
  • A single word or a short phrase may be enclosed in quotation marks to indicate ironic use.
  • Single quotation marks are used to set off a quote within a quote.
    Example: The newscaster said, "Tonight on TV5, city official Amy Murphy stated that 'our local economy is a disaster,' which is true."
    Although it happens rarely, when a quote within a quote contains yet another quote, the innermost quote is set off by double quotation marks. Single quotation marks and double quotation marks continue to alternate in this way as more direct quotations are added inside others.

• Teachers, don't forget to look at the other wikiHows in the English grammar category for additional articles on grammar that you can easily incorporate into your teaching.

• Running Quotes: If a full paragraph of quoted material is followed by a paragraph that continues the quotation, do not put close-quote marks at the end of the first paragraph. Do, however, put open-quote marks at the start of the second paragraph. Continue in this fashion for any succeeding paragraphs, using close-quote marks only at the end of the quoted material.
    Example:
    "I think you're wrong.
    "That is what you do so well: Being wrong."
  • The title of an essay/article is not enclosed in quotes; it's italicized or underlined at the top of the page of the work itself.

Do not use quotations to add emphasis to a word or words in a written work. Only use them when they are words being borrowed from someone else.

Do not use quotations to add emphasis to a word or words in a written work. Only use them when they are words being borrowed from someone else.

Let me be the first to admit that I'm guilty of doing that. I'll have to try to be better. Otherwise old my grade 8 teacher may come back to haunt me some day. :075:

Let me be the first to admit that I'm guilty of doing that. I'll have to try to be better. Otherwise old my grade 8 teacher may come back to haunt me some day. :075:

Yes, I do this too but chockolicious' post is not complete. I use the ironic quotes often and here's what I found on wikipedia:

Irony

Another common use of quotation marks is to indicate or call attention to ironic or apologetic words: He shared his "wisdom" with me. The lunch lady plopped a glob of "food" onto my tray.

Quotes indicating verbal irony, or other special use, are sometimes called scare, sneer, shock, distance, or horror quotes. They are sometimes gestured in oral speech using air quotes, or indicated in speech with a tone change or by replacement with supposed[ly] or so-called.

Signaling unusual usage

Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense: Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into.

In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a neologism, or slang, or special terminology (also known as jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric, or contain a pun: Dawkins's concept of a meme could be described as an "evolving idea".

People also use quotation marks in this way to distance the writer from the terminology in question so as not to be associated with it, for example to indicate that a quoted word is not official terminology, or that a quoted phrase presupposes things that the author does not necessarily agree with; or to indicate special terminology that should be identified for accuracy's sake as someone else's terminology, as when a term (particularly a controversial term) pre-dates the writer or represents the views of someone else, perhaps without judgement (contrast this neutrally-distancing quoting to the negative use of scare quotes).

The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition,[9] acknowledges this type of use but, in section 7.58, cautions against its overuse: "Quotation marks are often used to alert readers that a term is used in a nonstandard, ironic, or other special sense... [T]hey imply ‘This is not my term,’ or ‘This is not how the term is usually applied.’ Like any such device, scare quotes lose their force and irritate readers if overused."

Use–mention distinction

Either quotation marks or italic type can emphasize that an instance of a word refers to the word itself rather than its associated concept. Cheese is derived from milk. "Cheese" is derived from a word in Old English. Cheese has calcium, protein, and phosphorus. Cheese has three e's.

A three-way distinction is occasionally made between normal use of a word (no quotation marks), referring to the concept behind the word (single quotation marks), and the word itself (double quotation marks): When discussing 'use', use "use".

The logic for this derives from the need to distinguish use forms, coupled with the mandate to retain consistent notation for like use forms.[10] The switching between double and single quotes in nested citation quotes reveals the same literary device for reducing ambiguity.

Writing about language often uses italics for the word itself and single quotation marks for a gloss, with the two not separated by a comma or other punctuation, and with strictly logical quotation around the gloss – extraneous terminal punctuation outside the quotation marks – even in North American publications, which might otherwise prefer them inside:[11] Latin ovis 'sheep', canis 'dog', and equus 'horse' are nouns.[11]

Titles of artistic works

Quotation marks, rather than italics, are generally used for the titles of shorter works. Whether these are single or double depends on the context; however, many styles, especially for poetry, prefer the use of single quotation marks.

• Short fiction, poetry, etc.: Arthur C. Clarke's "The Sentinel"
  • Book chapters: The first chapter of 3001: The Final Odyssey is "Comet Cowboy"
  • Articles in books, magazines, journals, etc.: "Extra-Terrestrial Relays", Wireless World, October 1945
  • Album tracks, singles, etc.: David Bowie's "Space Oddity"

As a rule, a whole publication would be italicised, whereas the titles of minor works within or a subset of the larger publication (such as poems, short stories, named chapters, journal papers, newspaper articles, TV show episodes, editorial sections of websites, etc.) would be written with quotation marks.

• Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
  • Dahl's "Taste" in Completely Unexpected Tales

Nicknames and false titles

Quotation marks can also offset a nickname embedded in an actual name, or a false or ironic title embedded in an actual title; for example, Nat "King" Cole, Miles "Tails" Prower, or John "Hannibal" Smith.

Nonstandard usage

Quotes are sometimes used for emphasis in lieu of underlining or italics, most commonly on signs or placards. This usage can be confused with ironic or altered-usage quotation, sometimes with unintended humor. For example, For sale: "fresh" fish, "fresh" oysters, could be construed to imply that fresh is not used with its everyday meaning, or indeed to indicate that the fish or oysters are anything but fresh. As another example, Cashiers' desks open until noon for your "convenience"could be interpreted to mean that the convenience was for the bank employees, not the customers

How would one properly punctuate; "Doesn't take criticism well" or "More willing to give than receive"?

Your attempt at backhanded humour lacks quality, to say the least. You have no idea of the relationship between Malcolm and I, (we are friends), and the fact that at times we have both had issues with our PCs and browsers.

Before you attempt a supercilious retort to my question posted for Malcolm, perhaps you should have waited for his reply and finally, I am what I am.... and your approval is certainly not required. :closedeyes:

Your attempt at backhanded humour lacks quality, to say the least. You have no idea of the relationship between Malcolm and I, (we are friends), and the fact that at times we have both had issues with our PCs and browsers.

Before you attempt a supercilious retort to my question posted for Malcolm, perhaps you should have waited for his reply and finally, I am what I am.... and your approval is certainly not required.

FINALLY. A good, old-fashioned food-fight. Haven't seen one here for awhile! Back to you, UD! :whistleblower::P

Before you attempt a supercilious retort to my question posted for Malcolm, perhaps you should have waited for his reply and finally, I am what I am.... and your approval is certainly not required. :closedeyes:

Now that is called "proof in the pudding". Perhaps you should consider (or re-consider) the use of large words the meaning of which quite clearly you find elusive----"supercilious"?

Seriously-----don't take yourself so seriously. Life is wayyyyyy too short.

FINALLY. A good, old-fashioned food-fight. Haven't seen one here for awhile! Back to you, UD! :whistleblower::P

Nah! I'm on a diet---no food to waste.

Family member diagnosed with cancer the other day. One quickly appreciates that there are more important things in life than petty bickering.

And the exercise of kindness and generosity of spirit consume much less energy than the converse.

Now that is called "proof in the pudding". Perhaps you should consider (or re-consider) the use of large words the meaning of which quite clearly you find elusive----"supercilious"?

Seriously-----don't take yourself so seriously. Life is wayyyyyy too short.

I am well aquainted with the word, and its meaning, as well as all of its synonyms, I don't consider it a "large" word and it should be quite clear that I do not find the meaning elusive. The tone of your previous post, in my opinion, justifies its use.

In actual fact, no. For somereason the videos don't show up except as a blank box.

Ah.... and thus your comment :Grin-Nod:

If memory serves me correctly, you are using IE9 with Win 7............. correct??

I am using XP with IE8.

My netbook has Win7 with IE9, I'll try that but I would think it is one of your settings.............)internet Options/Advanced.

I will take a peek on mine...OK Looked at my laptop and netbook and my browser settings in all three, no matter if it is IE8 or IE 9 are the same in MULTIMEDIA

>Tools

>Options

>Advanced

>Scroll to MULTIMEDIA

>Ensure all boxes are checked

>Apply

RESTART IE ???

Let us know if that fixed it

I know how you feel...both my boys want me on a Mac as well but I just don't have enough time to learn a new system....I like the PC and I'm having enough problems learning the ins and outs of Win7 on my new Netbook that I don't want to temp the voodoo mechanics patience by going to another system. :Grin-Nod: !!

At least my daughter is still on a PC so at least we can talk about our problems, should they arise.

Have a great Super Bowl day .... I will not be one of the individuals devouring the over 1 BILLION chicken wings today !! :blush:

Nah! I'm on a diet---no food to waste.

Family member diagnosed with cancer the other day. One quickly appreciates that there are more important things in life than petty bickering.

And the exercise of kindness and generosity of spirit consume much less energy than the converse.

Very sorry to hear of your family news UD. Best of luck. I'm certain that is a universal wish on behalf of all here. We still need to laugh though from time to time.

Stiff upper lip, now... :crossfingers:

I'm also considering switching to the Mac, but I'm a windows type. As my laptop is only 1.3 yrs old, I'll be waiting till next year to step over to the other side.

One solution, if you get a Mac, use bootcamp to partition your HD, mac on one side and windows on the other. Of course you must have a boot disk to install windows. Since windows7 doesn't provide that, I'll be using my XP instead. Microsoft still support XP. You will need to install an anti-virus program for the windows side.

Suggest you have a very large HD, 750+ (450 + 300) and at least 8 megs ram. You can use 4 megs but it may run a bit slow as Mac will be in the background. I've tested it out by using Oracle VitualBox on my windows7, with XP installed. A bit slow as it is an emulation on top of Win7. On the Mac it would run faster as only the bear minimum is in the background. I'm able to run all the programs that windows7 will not recognize. Win7 is 64 bits and is backward compatible only one level to 32 bits. XP is 32 bits thus able to run 16 bit programs.

Just one solution. Cheers

From my experience, it's best to install Bootcamp on your Mac when you first buy the computer and prior to installing any software beyond that which is installed when it's new. Your hard drive needs to be partitioned when you install Bootcamp and this is much less hassle to perform when it's new.

Archived