UPS........ wha.................t ??

Kip Powick

Have you ever used UPS??? I had a shipment coming to me from a company near Toronto. I lucked in and got the last "item" . They are now sold out and will not get anymore for about 6 months.

If you open the attachment you will see that the item was scanned out of Concord ON and into Belleville ON and was "out for delivery" 16 Feb, (Yesterday).

Well the package is gone/missing/lost. I called UPS and asked questions. I mean it should be on the delivery truck…right?…..I mean it was 'scanned' out of Concord ON and scanned into Belleville….. right??

What I was told……. The tracking advice you get when you enter the tracking number at the UPS website really means nothing. The packages are not physically scanned, it is just a paper exercise and an entire truckload of packages is sent from one UPS center to another but each package is not physically scanned by machine or a human…..a list is just send from depot to depot and "hopefully" they all arrive…….sometimes they don't and a "Trace" is commenced.

What can Brown do for you today ?angry[1].gif

After my experience with their exhorbitant brokering fees for trans-border shipments, I have sworn off UPS for the rest of my life. FedEx and Puralator work just fine and I ask anyone shipping things to me from the US to use the US postal service. Works great and very reasonably priced.

After my experience with their exhorbitant brokering fees for trans-border shipments, I have sworn off UPS for the rest of my life. FedEx and Puralator work just fine and I ask anyone shipping things to me from the US to use the US postal service. Works great and very reasonably priced.

Agreed!!!! With my GTO restoration project on the go, I have piles of parts coming in and I always ask for anything out of the USA to either come via USPS or Fed Ex. The brokerage fee is now up to $40, a complete rip off!!!!!

If UPS must be used out of the USA, I usually have it sent to the UPS store on the other side of the border and drive in and pick it up, still cheaper than the brokerage fee.

Well I agree with all of you and I use FedEx all the time as well, plus there is that Employee Discount !! The trouble with my situation is that the company I bought the item from uses UPS so basically I had no choice......supposed to have an idea of what is happening by Friday...either the item .............or a full refund.scratchchin.gif

Well I agree with all of you and I use FedEx all the time as well, plus there is that Employee Discount !! The trouble with my situation is that the company I bought the item from uses UPS so basically I had no choice......supposed to have an idea of what is happening by Friday...either the item .............or a full refund.scratchchin.gif

If you have a tracking number, then UPS is on the hook and are responsible to either deliver or give you a full refund.

If you use UPS standard for trans border they stick you with the $40 brokerage. If you opt for their expedited service it is a fairly small amount more but there is no $40 brokerage fee.

I ran into this with photography stuff. In fact B&H, (excellent New York based photo store) will only use the expedited shipping after too much uproar from trans border shoppers being surprised with the brokerage fee.

I agree about Fed Ex etc but some shippers must have some sort of contract with UPS so if you can't avoid them look at their charges for expedited.

If time is not a factor US Postal service is the cheapest but you may not get a tracking #.

I recently purchases from Amazon Canada and they also use UPS for delivery. Like Kip's experience, the online waybill tracking is useless. My package showed departed, arrived, on truck for delivery and it never came. The next day, the AWB showed "Missed pickup" and showed back at the origin with pick up for the next day. When the dust had finally cleared, I was told to expect the package on Monday and got it on Friday.

Geminoid

I haven't had any delivery problems with UPS. Have probably had 40 or 50 items delivered through them, but I did learn, as did others, that Expedited is cheaper than Standard for cross-border items. And USPS is best if you can get people to ship that way.

As for FedEx, even though airline employees get a great % discount, I find their base charges to be much, MUCH higher than UPS or Purolator, and you have to go to the FedEx store (which isn't near my house). Without a discount, on my last shipment to the US, UPS was $38 and FedEx, with discount, was $32. Not worth it for me to drive for half an hour.

UPS Update.....

1. The store in YZ said they started a trace yesterday afternoon.

2. UPS Canada says a trace has not been started as the store that sold me the item has not notified them that the item is lost.

3. The store in YZ says that UPS told them that the item will be delivered today.

4. UPS Belleville says they DO NOT have the item and it is NOT on the delivery truck, in fact the item never made it to Belleville.

5. My UPS tracking shows the item "out for delivery" from Belleville two days ago.

6. UPS Canada says it is not their problem.....contact the store.

7. The store says it will initiate a "trace" this evening if I do not have the item by 7:00pm.......UPS Belleville shuts down at 5:30pm

8. The store says I will have to wait 8-10 days for the trace to run its course then I am to apply for a refund.

9. I tell the store to refund me today

10. Not possible says the store...must wait 8-10 days

11. Not waiting I say and if the item ever arrives here, I will not accept (sign) for it.(return to sender)

12. Silence

13. Store says it will initiate a refund

14. I say .."immediately?...I'm not waiting for 8-10 days cause if it arrives here in one hour or 14 days I will not be accepting it"

15. Silence

16. Store says they will initiate a refund "immediately"

17. I say, " thank you, I will watch my MasterCard statement for the date of refund, and advise my attorney to standby(bluff).

This whole episode was a Cluster F. All that UPS had to do was ask YZ/UPS to check their stuff in YZ but to this moment, and after numerous promptings it has not been done. Item is probably sitting in a corner in YZ ....or has been stolen.

Off to a store in Belleville tomorrow to buy the item there...same price and if I had been smart I would have bought it there in the first place......but I needed two items so "ordered" them from the same store...shipping was included in the price so why drive 35km round trip if it was going to be delivered to the door?white.gif yeh right..............

Rant over...gonna watch the hockey game.rolleyes.gif

As everyone knows--your own experience matters most in the formation of opinions. I had an important package sent to me by Fed-Ex. I was already dubious about their services because of an unfortunate experience in Miami but blamed that on "cultural differences"--after all, I WAS in a different country! Anyway---the Fed-Ex package shipped and was "out for delivery". I received a phone call from a driver asking; "How do we get to your house?" Directions given---no one arrived. I checked with Fed-Ex. The delivery schedule was noted; "Attempted delivery--no one home". I tried to "flip" but had no one really to complain to so I vented "nicely" to the call center. The package arrived the next day. The problem was the use by Fed-Ex of an unreliable sub-contractor.

Wherever and whenever possible, I use UPS and have never had an issue. Ordered a bunch of toys including a 17'6" VHF antenna at the Miami Boat Show and had everything by Tuesday--the second business day following the order. One "rider"---I generally use my post office box in the US for deliveries--unless someone else is paying.

Archived