Congratulations Theo

Mitch Cronin

I think the last 4 or 5 that got knocked out were better singers than Mitch, but he dun me proud with his straight up honesty. Good on 'im. ....

Theo was definitely the right pick, out of them all, his talents stood out all the time.

(those of you who have no idea what I'm on about, never mind... it's a couple kids learning to fly, that's all. wink.gif )

WhoGAS? I do. I love hearing good singers singing their hearts out, and that's what you get with the "Idol" shows... they give it every last little mmph they've got, and then some! (Like the guy who smashed his guitar for effect and then stood there holding his head and staring at the pieces.. Mookie)

Remember how Joplin could sound when she gave it everything she had (and wasn't smashed while doing it)?...

Or, maybe a better way to explain... You know what's missing so often when Celine sings? ...well that's never missing when you hear these contestants doing their level best to dramatically change their future.

... as for my "man card" laugh.gif Ok Choc. Thanks for lettin' me know. I think I'm ok without one by now... I'm too mean and ugly to be anything else. wink.gif

Mitch,,,

Don't get me wrong, it's not the talented individuals that I rail against.

It's the fact that it's an overdrawn popularity contest that I don't like. Some of the better talent gets booted just because they don't look right, or don't attract enough votes that particular week.

The first Idol season's weren't bad, but it has been going on too long.

Between Idol, Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother, ad nauseum, they drag out the franchises tooooooo long.

That's why I don't pay attention to any of the reality series anymore and file them under WHOGAS.

Besides, which Idol winner has gone on to actually have a career? The only one I can think of that did well was Jason Hogarth(sp?) who is doing awsome with Hedley.

The rest don't have enough talent that even with the push of Idol, they can't do anything more than play bit parts in Ross Petty Productions at Christmas.

Just my opinion as a music fan.

Iceman smile.gif

I'm with you Mitch. I would prefer it without all the hype but at its essence it is really just an old fashioned talent show.

Theo was definitiely the most talented and its great to see another southern Albertan win but I do want to point out that Medicine Hat beat out Lethbridge with a first place finish by 2 years. biggrin.gif

Greg

Sorry Don, I almost went off to bed without saying anything... I listened to that this morning right before leaving for work. Holy Smokes! That man can SING! Absolutely terrific, and thank you for the link. Yeah. That's what I like about the talent shows. I know peoplae are turned off by so many "reality" shows, and I don't watch any of them. But I don't think that's what these are at all...

There was one girl in one of the Idol shows that did really well in the competition, who'd been singing alone to herself in her bedroom prior to trying out for the show. Her voice, and the expression she could give it, ....just awesome.

These people really give it all they have, and even when it hurts to listen, I appreciate that much. But many of them are really a joy to listen to!

I've seen that clip with Paul Potts singing many times, and it still gives me goosebumps!

I wasn't going to weigh in on this thread, cause I didn't want to further jeopardize Mitch's already tenuous man card membership laugh.gif , but I totally agree with him about these amateur singing competitions - every once in a while you hear something that takes your breath away.

One of my favourite Canadian Idol shows was when they did Gordon Lightfoot's music. The individual performances were fantastic, but on the second night when the six of them sang Canadian Railroad Trilogy - I thought it was a beautiful, uniquely Canadian moment.

Thanks for the link. I missed that. One note about Kalan Porter who was a winner. He had to postpone his career due to illness in his family. He made a personal sacrifice and will be coming out with his new cd this fall.

Archived