Wayne's wife in the news

Kip Powick

EWING, N.J. (AP) -- Wayne Gretzky's wife and about a half-dozen NHL players placed bets -- but not on hockey -- with a nationwide sports gambling ring financed by Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet, New Jersey authorities said Tuesday.

At first, Gretzky expected Tocchet to be on the bench for the Coyotes' game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday night. But at the request of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Tocchet did not attend the game. Gretzky said after the game that Tocchet would meet with Bettman in New York on Wednesday.

"The sad thing about this whole scenario is that Rick is a wonderful person and a great guy, so I hope everything works out in his favor," Gretzky said. "It's hard because I love the guy. He's a great guy, you know. I just hope it all works out for him."

Gretzky, considered hockey's greatest player, is in his first season coaching the Coyotes and is a part-owner of the team.

Actress-wife Janet Jones was among those implicated, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because no bettors have been publicly identified.

Gretzky said his wife was in California. The two talked, he said, but she did not speak about her involvement.

"We didn't get into it other than she was concerned about Rick and she felt it was a tough situation with him," Gretzky said, "and she would sit down at some point and answer questions that everybody has for her and be her own person."

Gretzky said "absolutely not" when asked if she had placed bets for him.

Except for trips to Las Vegas, Gretzky said, he's no gambler.

"I'm standing here trying to answer questions and it's not even me this is about," Gretzky said to reporters. "It's the frustrating hard part for me but I understand. I'm a big boy and you guys have a responsibility and a job to do and that's fine."

State police Col. Rick Fuentes said an investigation -- named "Operation Slapshot" -- into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball.

The developments came at a sensitive time for the NHL, which is trying to win back fans after a season-long lockout and just days before many of its best players will showcase their talent at the Turin Olympics.

Tocchet was served with a criminal complaint Monday and was expected to travel to New Jersey to answer charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy, Fuentes said.

A criminal complaint informs Tocchet of authorities' intention to formally charge him and the need for him to arrange to travel to New Jersey for formal charging, or face arrest.

"It's not a hockey-related issue, it's a football thing. And at this time I can't comment any further," Tocchet said after the Coyotes practiced earlier Tuesday.

Gretzky had said Tocchet would work Tuesday night, and it would be "business as usual." But Bettman changed that plan, summoning Tocchet to New York.

The Coyotes lost 3-1 to the Chicago Blackhawks without Tocchet.

Tocchet acknowledged that a New Jersey state trooper arrested in connection with the gambling ring case is his friend. Tocchet said he would cooperate with the investigation but didn't answer when asked if he'd surrender to authorities.

It's not a hockey-related issue, it's a football thing.

-- Rick Tocchet

"We

Some reports are saying that there is a tie to organized crime through the NJ cop who has been named. That's a pretty big deal if true, and certainly embarrassing for Gretz, the Coyotes and the NHL.

Guest rattler

Question...as long as they didn't bet on their own sport and money laundering was not the case, what is wrong with gambling?  Would it be illegal for me to phone in a bet to Las Vegas on a game?  Just not sure what the issue is here. ohmy.gif

The problem, according to the press, is that folks in the NHL & NBA etc. cities are a close knit group (jocks to tend to hang out with each other) and the fear is that the hockey types could be calling the other athletes and asking questions such as "how is George for tomorrows game" and then adjusting the point spread based on the insider information.

The other point is of course, what they were doing was / is illegal in most of the states in which it was done.......

State police Col. Rick Fuentes said an investigation -- named "Operation Slapshot" -- into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball.

The final point is their actions were just plain dumb and I would expect the NHL to take some sort of action in an attempt to keep their image "clean".

discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball.

$1,700,000/1000 = $1,700 average wage. For a $1M+ player to wage $1,500 - $2,000 on a game would be like us betting 50 bucks. They were having fun and not trying to make big bucks. rolleyes.gif

Listening to the local talk show in YYC the other day. A lawyer from Colorado involved in these types of cases basically said that this type of gambling (re: Bookmaking) is illegal in all states except Nevada. If you bet on a game the bet has to be made in Nevada and then collected or lost in Nevada. Anything made from out of state or in fact any bet made to a bookie in any state other than Nevada is illegal. So of course the Feds will probably get involved now because of mail and wire fraud: bets made over the phone from across state lines.

Also heard on Jim Rome this morning that Janet may have dropped about 500,000 GR over the past while and 75 G's on the super bowl!

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- Wayne Gretzky was recorded on a wiretap talking to the alleged financier of a gambling ring, discussing how the hockey great's wife could avoid being implicated, a person with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Gretzky, coach and part-owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, can be heard on wiretaps made within the past month talking about his wife with assistant coach Rick Tocchet, the person said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

Gretzky's wife, actress Janet Jones, allegedly bet at least $100,000 on football games over the course of the investigation by state authorities, the person said.

There is no evidence that Gretzky placed any bets, according to the person.

Authorities say from Dec. 29 through Feb. 5 -- the day of the Super Bowl -- bettors placed a total of $1.7 million in wagers with the ring run by a New Jersey state trooper, Tocchet and a South Jersey man. All face charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy and are scheduled to be arraigned in Superior Court in Mount Holly on Feb. 21, the state Attorney General's office said Thursday.

Jones has not been charged.

Investigators are looking into whether anyone involved in the 5-year-old ring, which authorities say had a connection to organized crime in Philadelphia and southern New Jersey, bet on NHL games. Gretzky is not the main focus of the probe, the person said.

The Star-Ledger of Newark, citing unidentified law enforcement sources, first reported of a wiretap involving Gretzky in Thursday's newspapers. The newspaper also reported that Jones bet $500,000 during the investigation, including $75,000 on the Super Bowl.

Earlier in the week, Gretzky denied any involvement in the ring.

"My love for her (Jones) is deeper than anything. The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved. Am I concerned for both of them? Sure there's concern from me. I'm more worried about them than me. I'm like you guys, I'm trying to figure it all out," Gretzky said Tuesday.

Gretzky did not attend the Coyotes practice in Phoenix on Thursday. He would not be available until after Thursday night's game against the Dallas Stars in Phoenix and the team would not comment, said Coyotes spokesman Rich Nairn.

Lawyers involved in the case said details of the three-month investigation should not be made public.

"I have never been involved in a case where the prosecution has engaged in such inappropriate conduct in terms of making investigators available to the press, appearing on nationally syndicated television," said Kevin Marino, a lawyer for Tocchet, who was granted an indefinite leave from the NHL Wednesday. "It's improper, it's unwarranted and I will not tolerate it."

"We are not going to try this case in the press and we're not going to let them either," he said.

Attorneys for all three men charged in what authorities have dubbed "Operation Slapshot" said they will fight the charges.

"This case will not be a guilty plea," said Charles A. Peruto Jr., who is representing James Ulmer. Ulmer, along with Trooper James Harney, is accused of taking wagers and cuts of the bets.

The allegations have sent waves through the hockey world.

State investigators said they will interview more hockey players who were believed to have placed bets, in part to determine whether there was any gambling on hockey. So far, authorities say, they do not have evidence that there was.

The NHL has hired Robert Cleary, a former federal prosecutor who handled the Unabomber case, to investigate.

Cleary said Thursday that he was not sure how long his work might take, in part because he wants to stay out of the way of law enforcement agents who are continuing to investigate.

Hockey players are prohibited from making NHL wagers, legal or otherwise. There are no rules that forbid them from betting on other sports.

The NHL Players' Association posted a message on a secure Web site Wednesday advising any players who are contacted by law enforcement authorities -- or even the league itself -- to contact their lawyer "before talking to anyone," the Toronto Star reported.

Asked about the scandal Thursday, Gov. Jon S. Corzine expressed confidence in law enforcement.

The New Jersey State Police is also investigating itself in the case.

"I'm convinced that the state police are doing a thorough investigation of their own affairs," Gov. Jon S. Corzine said at a news conference Thursday.

I'd say... too late.

"Wayne Gretzky was recorded on a wiretap talking to the alleged financier of a gambling ring, discussing how the hockey great's wife could avoid being implicated, a person with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press on Thursday."

Hey, I wonder if this is one of those side effects of Bush's spying on their own population? Maybe in their hunt for terrorists, they came across this, and forwarded it to the proper department?

Guest rattler

US = Illegal thus the fuss. Canada = Legal

EG:

Sport Select game information - Point Spread

STETTLER, AB, Feb. 11 /CNW/ -

NOTE: EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 12, 2006

MB/SK AB NO. SPORT VIS HOME V H

BASKETBALL

Sun Feb 12

12:00 P 11:00 A 31 BKT PHI WSH -4.5

12:00 P 11:00 A 32 BKT SA IND -6.5

2:30 P 1:30 P 33 BKT DET MIA -1.5

5:00 P 4:00 P 34 BKT MIL NJ -7.5

5:00 P 4:00 P 35 BKT ORL BOS -4.5

5:00 P 4:00 P 36 BKT POR TOR -6.5

7:30 P 6:30 P 37 BKT NY HOU -8.5

8:00 P 7:00 P 38 BKT ATL SAC -8.5

8:00 P 7:00 P 39 BKT DEN SEA -0.5

9:30 P 8:30 P 40 BKT CHI LAC -7.5

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Sun Feb 12

12:00 P 11:00 A 42 BKT ILLIN OHST -3.5

12:00 P 11:00 A 43 BKT NCST GATEC -5.5

1:00 P 12:00 P 44 BKT CINCI PITT -8.5

6:00 P 5:00 P 45 BKT WVIRG GTOWN -6.5

7:00 P 6:00 P 46 BKT NC MIAFL -1.5

HOCKEY

Sun Feb 12

3:00 P 2:00 P 61 HKY STL EDM -1.5

3:00 P 2:00 P 62 HKY DAL LA -0.5

4:00 P 3:00 P 63 HKY BUF CAR -0.5

4:00 P 3:00 P 64 HKY COL DET -0.5

7:00 P 6:00 P 65 HKY SJ PHX -0.5

7:00 P 6:00 P 66 HKY CHI ANA -1.5

9:00 P 8:00 P 67 HKY MIN VAN -1.5

Times listed are cut-off times for wagering

and subject to change without notice.

In the event of any discrepancy between this information

and the official information from Western Canada Lottery

Corporation (WCLC), the latter shall prevail.

I don't understand why Tocchet's picture isn't plastered on the front page of our newspapers? He's the one being implicated in all this, will his picture not sell newspapers!? It's a shame. Not only are they putting Wayne's face on the front page, they're using a picture of his face during a Coyotes game where he is obviously frustrated to twist or insinuate that he is somehow frustrated at what is happening..... its pathetic.

Juvenile...... 

sad.gif

I'm with you mate!

I don't understand why Tocchet's picture isn't plastered on the front page of our newspapers? He's the one being implicated in all this, will his picture not sell newspapers!? It's a shame. Not only are they putting Wayne's face on the front page, they're using a picture of his face during a Coyotes game where he is obviously frustrated to twist or insinuate that he is somehow frustrated at what is happening..... its pathetic.

I guess people don't know Tocchet but they know Gretzky. Anything to sell papers. Those favorite professionals we all love...reporters, lawyers and politicians. What would the world be like without them? dry.gif

And the same could be said (more tellingly) of mullahs, imams, priests and....evangelists!!

To the point. Wayne ALLEGEDLY was taped asking what could be done to avoid implicating his wife. Martha et al were convicted of "obstructing justice" in similar circumstances.

Rational? No. But...financing a betting ring in the US? Illegal. Conspiring to assist someone in a criminal enterprise? Also illegal (RICO).

Hence, I assume, the interest of the reporters.

And the same could be said (more tellingly) of mullahs, imams, priests and....evangelists!!

To the point. Wayne ALLEGEDLY was taped asking what could be done to avoid implicating his wife. Martha et al were convicted of "obstructing justice" in similar circumstances.

Rational? No. But...financing a betting ring in the US? Illegal. Conspiring to assist someone in a criminal enterprise? Also illegal (RICO).

Hence, I assume, the interest of the reporters.

Apparently what Wayne’s wife did is NOT illegal so Wayne asking how to avoid his wife from being implicated is not obstructing justice but obstructing the media onslaught. Something any good husband would do! wink.gif

Archived