Living in Alberta

Kip Powick

A young pilot in Alberta was overheard saying .. "when the end of the world

comes, I hope to be in Alberta."

When asked why,............. he replied he'd rather be in Alberta because everything

happens in Alberta 20 years later than in the rest of Canada.

biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this mean that Alberta will soon be voting Liberal en masse, like Ontario has been doing for close to 20 years? blink.gif I highly doubt it, but wouldn't it be ironic at a time when maybe, I said just maybe, Ontario's voters have finally had enough?

Guest long keel

A young pilot in Alberta was overheard saying .. "when the end of the world

comes, I hope to be in Alberta."

When asked why,............. he replied he'd rather be in Alberta because everything

happens in Alberta 20 years later than in the rest of Canada.

Alberta has been 20 years in the past in so many ways, such as:

Sunday Shopping. (1'st in Canada)

Winter Olympics. (1'st in Canada)

Debt Free. (1'st in Canada)

No sales tax. (only one left hopefully for 20 more years or better, not a bad thing)

No state run liquor sales. (2'nd to Quebec) Free enterprise man, what a concept.

Largest producer of alternative (wind + solar) energy in Canada.

Home of the first town on the continent to have all heating needs met by solar energy. (Vulcan, AB)

Makes me wonder why blink.giftongue.gif the heck I moved back to Ontario, home of the coal and nuclear plants, traffic jams on par with Mexico city, smog alerts, PST, LCBO, and Mel Lastman scaring the African leaders to the point of keeping the Olympics out of Hogtown for decades to come. Oh yah, and the most efficient cost effective international airport to grace the nation of Canada, Lester B. Pearson. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

lk

Guest rattler

Hey does that mean I have to wait ten more years for curbside recycling and a smoke free restaurant?

In Alberta the choice re smoking has been left up to each city. In YYC, smoking is banned in all restaurants that serve folks under 18 years of age. With ref. to curb side recycling, a recent trial has concluded that the same folks who take their items to the various recycling stations setup around Calgary are the same who will/would use the more expensive curbside service. In other words, those who want to recycle items will and the rest of the folks continue to "can not be bothered".

The Alberta Recycling Management Authority (ARMA) manages Canada's first province-wide end-of-life electronics recycling program. Since February 1, 2005, consumers pay an environmental fee on new purchases of televisions, computers and related equipment. These fees range from $5 to $45, depending on the item. The funds generated subsidize the transportation and recycling of old and unusable televisions and computers that would otherwise end up in our landfills.

Electronics Recycling Depots in Calgary

The City of Calgary recently formed a private-public partnership with Maxus Technology Inc. to provide for the collection of end-of-life electronic equipment. Old and unusable (end-of-life) televisions, computer monitors, CPU's (central processing units), laptops, electronic notebooks, printers and peripheral devices are accepted for recycling at the locations listed below.

There's no charge to drop off these items designed by the Alberta Recycling Management Authority (ARMA) program. Maxus Technology also will accept other types of electronic equipment for a fee.

"Hey does that mean I have to wait ten more years for curbside recycling..."

I had an interesting debate with my Father from B.C. over the way we recycle in Calgary. He thought it was "inconvenient" and crude to have to haul my own recyclables to the bin at the shopping centre.

My position was that it was more cost effective and evironmentally friendly. I'm going to the shopping cenre anyway for groceries, no cost there, one truck comes to the central site to pick up the stuff instead of a fleet of trucks and personnel going door to door... Fewer workers, less cost, fewer trucks burning less fuel, less pollutants...

Cheers.

I had an interesting debate with my Father from B.C. over the way we recycle in Calgary. He thought it was "inconvenient" and crude to have to haul my own recyclables to the bin at the shopping centre.

My position was that it was more cost effective and evironmentally friendly. I'm going to the shopping cenre anyway for groceries, no cost there,  one truck comes to the central site to pick up the stuff instead of a fleet of trucks and personnel going door to door... Fewer workers, less cost, fewer trucks burning less fuel, less pollutants...

Cheers.

That's like saying it's more environmentally friendly to take your car to work instead of carpooling or public transit blink.gif

I had an interesting debate with my Father from B.C. over the way we recycle in Calgary.  Cheers.

Believe it or not, this little "burg" has one of the best recycling efforts in Ontario....but..... I sent a letter to City Hall to ask why we don't put all the recycle boxes on only one side of the residental streets andf if that wouldn't fly why not alternate the side of the street for the boxes, (one side one week the other side the next week)...that would mean the recycle truck would only have to go down/up the street ONCE

(Save gas etc).. I also suggest the same for trash pick up.

The reply???.."Thank you for your suggestion...we're looking into it" That was 4 months ago..arrrgggghh unsure.gifsad.gif

"That's like saying it's more environmentally friendly to take your car to work instead of carpooling or public transit"

Not quite. On the off chance you misread my post, instead of having a fleet of small trucks all over the city going door to door and the manpower to operate and maintain them, there are fewer larger trucks servicing central sites. Fewer trucks, less pollution, less manpower = cost savings.

I am already driving to the shopping centre where the recycle receptacles are, so I combine a trip and drop off the recycling on my way to do the grocery shopping. I'm combining a trip so there is no increase in fuel use or pollution.

Cheers.

In Alberta the choice re smoking has been left up to each city. In YYC, smoking is banned in all restaurants that serve folks under 18 years of age. With ref. to curb side recycling, a recent trial has concluded that the same folks who take their items to the various recycling stations setup around Calgary are the same who will/would use the more expensive curbside service. In other words, those who want to recycle items will and the rest of the folks continue to "can not be bothered".

The Alberta Recycling Management Authority (ARMA) manages Canada's first province-wide end-of-life electronics recycling program. Since February 1, 2005, consumers pay an environmental fee on new purchases of televisions, computers and related equipment. These fees range from $5 to $45, depending on the item. The funds generated subsidize the transportation and recycling of old and unusable televisions and computers that would otherwise end up in our landfills.

Electronics Recycling Depots in Calgary

The City of Calgary recently formed a private-public partnership with Maxus Technology Inc. to provide for the collection of end-of-life electronic equipment. Old and unusable (end-of-life) televisions, computer monitors, CPU's (central processing units), laptops, electronic notebooks, printers and peripheral devices are accepted for recycling at the locations listed below.

There's no charge to drop off these items designed by the Alberta Recycling Management Authority (ARMA) program. Maxus Technology also will accept other types of electronic equipment for a fee.

Hey rattler.

I've lived everywhere but 3 provinces, compared to everyone else, Alberta's recycling sucks, in my opinion of course. If you don't make it easy, it all goes to the same landfill.

BUSTED!!! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah funny but I actually do recycle, it's just a pain and I know none of my neighbors make the effort. Vancouver was recycle to extremes and easy. Halifax had a good system, garbage every second week and compost every other. Recycling was picked up in special bags you could purchase at Costco, right at the curb. I understand Steam Driven's point but I know a lot of people just don't bother to do it. Calgary is currently working a way to 'reduce' to five bags per week (yup, more than five right now).

They should all take a lesson from the "Beer Store" in Ontario, ya, ya, give me a second to explain.

The Beer store has a 99% return rate on all it's packaging, that's bottles, cases, and caps. All for a 10 cent deposit.

Just think of how clean our environment would be if there were deposits on disposable items such as what I see at every highway offramp.....

Tim's cups, water bottles, liquor bottles, cans, jars,,,,

The list is endless.

Once you get used to the system, it becomes invisible and the end result is that the material is returned properly and the environment is the big winner. And for those who throw the stuff around anyways, there will always be someone who will pick it up for the deposit.

biggrin.gif

Iceman

Guest rattler
They should all take a lesson from the "Beer Store" in Ontario, ya, ya, give me a second to explain.

The Beer store has a 99% return rate on all it's packaging, that's bottles, cases, and caps. All for a 10 cent deposit.

Just think of how clean our environment would be if there were deposits on disposable items such as what I see at every highway offramp.....

Tim's cups, water bottles, liquor bottles, cans, jars,,,,

The list is endless.

Once you get used to the system, it becomes invisible and the end result is that the material is returned properly and the environment is the big winner. And for those who throw the stuff around anyways, there will always be someone who will pick it up for the deposit.

biggrin.gif

Iceman

In actual fact Alberta has a deposit on containers (including tetra packs) and all you need to do to collect it back is to take them to the nearest bottle depot or wait for the next brownie, scout or sport team bottle drive.....

Just think of how clean our environment would be if there were deposits on disposable items such as... water bottles, liquor bottles...

They already do in my community. Included in that list are waxed cardboard juice boxes if they have a plastic spout and tetra packs.

Oops! I see Rattler beat me to it.

Anyhow, the bottle depot takes much more than they used to and the implication is that many people are literally throwing their own money away when they chuck potential recyclables into the land fill. Saving stuff for bottle drives is an excellent alternative for those items.

Excellent then thumbup.gif

But my main push was for the coffee cups that litter the roadsides. Ever since they got rid of window cranks to hang a garbage bag on, people just seem to think that the window it the place to put their garbage through.

Just think of how rich the homeless would become if there were a nickel deposit on Tim's cups tongue.gif

Iceman

... most provinces were doing this stuff 20 years ago, Alberta wasn't.

It depends upon what berg in Alberta you are referring to. Edmonton's recycle system is very complex, but easy to use. It has been around for at least 20 years.

"Yeah funny but I actually do recycle, it's just a pain and I know none of my neighbors make the effort. Vancouver was recycle to extremes and easy. Halifax had a good system, garbage every second week and compost every other. Recycling was picked up in special bags you could purchase at Costco, right at the curb. I understand Steam Driven's point but I know a lot of people just don't bother to do it. Calgary is currently working a way to 'reduce' to five bags per week (yup, more than five right now)."

Potato, patah-toe I suppose...

I find getting rid of my recyclables painless and easy. I've got a bag in the garage that I fill with beer cans, wine bottles and juice containers. I drop that off at the Bottle Depot and collect my $9 and have lunch at McDonald's, or I just give the whole shooting match to the Scouts when they come to the door.

I've got a coupla bins in the pantry that I fill with Newspapers, Plastic Bags and cardboard. I drop them off when I'm on my way to the Safeway.

Family of 4 and we usually put one garbage can out on the curb. Spinnaker says that the average is 5 bags or more? Wow, that's pitiful. ohmy.gif

Guest rattler

Don't get me wrong, I like the place and it's going in the right direction, but it takes us back to the original post; most provinces were doing this stuff 20 years ago, Alberta wasn't.

So give me a list??? biggrin.gif Some cities perhaps, YVR Bluebox program did not start until 1990, but def. not most entire provinces.

Backgrounder

April 1, 2005

The Blue Box program was first launched in the fall of 1988/spring of 1989 throughout the former Metro Toronto

The first materials to go in the blue box were glass bottles, jars , metal cans and newspapers

Throughout the years other paper products were included such as magazines, telephone books, catalogues, pizza boxes.

In 2001, the City of Toronto expanded the program to include milk and juice cartons, empty aerosol cans and empty paint cans.

In 2004, The City diverted more than 310,158 tonnes of residential waste away from landfill. This represents a 36% diversion by Toronto residents (single-family and multi-family residences, combined).

Expansion of the blue box program to include plastic food jars, tubs and lids will divert an additional 2,000 tonnes a year, or 58 fewer trailer truck loads of garbage to Michigan each year.

Guest rattler

Family of 4 and we usually put one garbage can out on the curb. Spinnaker says that the average is 5 bags or more? Wow, that's pitiful. ohmy.gif

Spinnaker is not quite accurate. Following is the official story and as you can see it is about limits set during spring cleanup, nowhere does it say anything about the average being 5 bags per house.

Date: Mon Apr 5 08:58:08 2004

Subject: 'Spring cleaning’'garbage limits may be in effect

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CITYSOURCE - CITY OF CALGARY NEWS SOURCE

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CALGARY - The arrival of spring brings the onset of yard

clean-up for many Calgarians. And that means heavy garbage

volumes for The City of Calgary Waste & Recycling Services

collection crews.

That's why Waste & Recycling Services will be exercising an

'as-needed' five bag or can limit on the amount of garbage

collected per household throughout the spring.

The five bag or can limit will be used to ensure that a

weekly collection service is provided to each household and

to maintain collection schedules. Similar to the fall

period, when similar restrictions apply, the focus will be on

removing household waste first and any yard waste as time

permits or over subsequent collection periods.

Waste & Recycling Services implemented a similar five bag

limit last spring in response to heavy garbage volumes

following the Easter long weekend. The unusually warm

temperatures and extended weekend resulted in a concentration

of yard clean-up waste that went beyond the capabilities of

Waste & Recycling Services’ resources. In the event of a

similar situation, the five bag or can limit would apply.

"During this period, residents who produce more than five

bags or cans are asked to place their regular household

garbage out in front of any yard waste. Making it easy to

access will ensure that it gets picked up, and won’t be left

behind causing potential odor issues," says Rick Valdarchi of

Waste & Recycling Services.

Keeping your garbage area clean and tidy is another way to

help the collectors move swiftly and efficiently through

their routes. Residents are also reminded that the maximum

weight limit for bags or cans is 20 kg.

Residents are also encouraged to turn their yard waste into

useable compost with a backyard composter. Watch for further

information on our subsidized backyard composter sales event

in June.

For the real poop on Calgary Garbage you can goto:YYC Garbage Collection

In Peel Region we have blue boxes for our metals, glass, and plastic recylables. Then there is a grey box for paper, cardboard, etc. It is all collected by one segregated truck.

And during the summer we have yard waste pickup, where you can put it out in a separate marked garbage can, or large paper bags that you can buy everywhere(grass clippings, tree trimmings, etc) and it is picked up and taken to a composting site. The compost is then sold back to the community, or used in city parks.

Overall, we're told that the recycling and composting is revenue neutral because of what they get for selling the used newsprint, cardboard, cans, glass, etc. All it takes is the will to be wanting to separate your recyclables.

I am active in teaching not only my children, but those who I lead in Scouts about this, and am proud to say that with very little effort, our house of four only generates about 1/3 of a standard can of garbage a week.

Even that should go down because they are implementing a "green box" program that will collect kitchen waste(veg peels, meat scraps, used napkins) over the next 18 months.

Anything that can be diverted from landfill is a good idea in my books smile.gif

Iceman

Blue boxes are great. You fill em up and the truck collects them and takes them to the dump. When asked what sort of recycling operation this is they say "it's too expensive to recycle, this is just to make the people feel good. wink.gif

Archived