Ya know… I mean … aaand tower….

dragon

Whats up with the hockey, football and baseball guys.. can they not articulate 10 thoughts without 8 of them beginning with "Ya Know" or "I mean".. ?

and, my real pet peeve..

who starts a freakin sentence with "and.."?

and, Johnny, pass the potatoes..

and, Honey, whos yo daddy?

and, man I'm sleepy

and, whos on first

and, apron

and, ground

and, tower, . . .

I used to think it was a 'Rookie" thing - obviously it's not. Where do we learn this stuff?

Talking about professional athletes and their limited vocabularies: next time you see one interviewed, count the number of times he/she says "obviously" and "unbelievable".

Obviously. Unbelievable. My personal pet peeves.

"I mean, you know, obviously Giggy played unbelievable for us tonight..."

T9

Guest MidLvl CP

I like..."requesting 350, if available"... so does that mean, please don't give me 350 if it's not available, I only want it if it's available?

In my long PPL flying career (115 hrs C172), I can assure you it's trained into us (me) from the beginning. And the only reason I have a habit of doing it, is because my instructor did it, and have heard many, many others do it as well. Maybe it's a YXU thing :) But I agree with everyone that it's incredibly annoying - and more importantly, if it's not pertinent, you shouldn't be using up airtime in saying it.

As for athletes, you should probably look at the average level of education to see where their superior communication skills originate :)

CDB

What kind of bus you drivin.... airbus or school bus ?.. ;)

You may notice that you are in the minority on this one. Seriously though, next time out, as you begin your ramp check, listen out on the ground frequency. I bet you hear someone start in with 'and' before you pick up your clearance..

Just never understood that…

Wow.. I was hoping nobody would say that, I suppose it was inevitable. Can you do us all a huge favour and call your ex instructor and advise that not only does no manual prescribe this telephony technique, the fact is, is that it is time consuming as you correctly note as well as awfully amateur ish.I have been over the pond hundreds of times.. I am trying to think if I have ever heard it in Europe - other than from a munjicake [sp] that is...

Thanks for chimin in CDB

Aaaand that don't make it right.

You can find "irregardless" in a dictionary too if you look in the wrong one.

I've heard the "Aaaand" prefix to communications alot too... I wondered if it might have evolved from people using bad microphones that had sticky ptt switches... or maybe voice activated switches, with the "aaand" used just to begin the activation?

First I've EVER heard..

I am in shock.. can you put me onto some of that literature? Not saying it ain't so, just that my brain will not allow me to believe it so..

They teach it in schools? Any idea what schools? and on CBC? where, as part of something aviation related..

I only ask because like I said, just that my brain will not allow me to believe it so..

cheers

Guest Dockjock

CDB, now that you are aware of it, and realize that it is wrong it is up to you to break your own cycle. When you've got your commercial and start to instruct, DON'T PASS THIS AWFUL HABIT ALONG TO YOUR STUDENTS! Hopefully it will go away.

I haven't flown in a little while and don't plan on instructing - but if I did I would certainly make it a point not to pass on that horrible habit :)

Guest leftbase

I think it may be for a related reason, but not a ptt..I think it's just a mental laziness, it allows you that extra split second to think about what you're going to say, even while you're hitting the button. I know I've been guilty of saying the callsign even while I'm still trying to remember the flight number. Usually I can remember the number in time so there's no gap in the tx, but some days...

And I KNOW I'm not alone, many times I've heard "Centre, it's Air Canada............................5468, etc, etc.". (Not picking on AC, could be anyone.) So saying the big "ANnnnnndd...." gives a chance to compose the thought, while you think about what it is you want to say. ("Hmm...am I talking to Cleveland or Boston now?" ;)

Just my theory. And I agree it's sloppy, better to give that thought a second before pushing the button!

Guest Touchdown

Ready in sequence just means that we're ready but realize that we may not be the first aircraft in the line to go. I tend to use this as a courtesy when I arrive at the runway with multiple aircraft at various entry points all waiting. It just let's tower know we are ready but not "expecting" to go next so as not to make the other aircraft think that we're arrogant (although if you work for AC you get that tag whther you deserve it or not). Perhaps the other aircraft are waiting for slot times.....or such. Who knows...

Touchdown

Don't you think that the tower knows your order. How do YOU know what the sequence is? Just announcing that you're "on tower and ready" should be plenty.

I agree with Touchdown - when someone tells me he is ready in sequence I know that he knows that there are other aircraft waiting ahead of him and it sounds more polite.

On the other hand - I expect you to be ready when you get to the end and don't really need a call at all - just listen out - and when you hear your ident followed by either "taxi to position" or "cleared for takeoff", move on out smartly.

Archived