Ya know… I mean … aaand tower….

dragon

Amigo,

I have asked a few of my co-workers who begin radio calls with "and" why they do it and would you be surprised to know very few of them know they are using "and" to begin a sentence. I then point out that in our other official language no one begins a call with "et" ( for those who don't speak French "et" = "and"). To make matters worse some continue to use "and" after we have spoken about it....go figure.

The other habit that bothers me is those pilots that attach " 's " before the flight number and after the call sign! What is that all about?

Regards,

60N30W

p.s. chat with you in a bit

How else can you be ready but in sequence? The tower will give you clearance when it's your turn, what ever sequence that may be. As this whole thread started about saying something not required. It's obvious if your ready, you're ready in sequence.

IMHO

No offense, but I sometimes ask the F/O to "jog your memory" when it appears that we'll have to come to a dead stop at the hold line and there isn't another airplane in sight. (This seems to happen a lot on 23 at YYZ.)

This relates directly to your "smartly". I'm sure you guys are aware of the considerable time lag for the engines to spool and the aircraft to start rolling....

Okay. From now on I'll be sure to say "Ready, and, yes, I do see that guy on final, so no, I don't expect to go immediately, but I just wanted you to know that we could accept the clearance now ahead of the 3 company flights waiting for Wait and Balance to send the numbers." ;-)

The other day we hear,"AC123 ready in sequence". My partner then says, "Elvis wore those too"......I chuckle every time I hear it now.

Guest Ray Darr

>>>...and the signs said: "Long-haired, Freaky- people need not apply"<<<

...sometimes it works.

However, I too cringe when I hear that pesky "And..." on our freq's. Save it for the good tunes, like above!

Here's the challenge: Next time y'all hear someone mumble "And..." on their transmission, someone else jump in and finish their thoughts by saying "long-haired freaky people" and I bet we can eventually rid the radios of this annoyance!

(If you don't "get it" ...ask one of us that is slowly going grey and you might understand afterwards.)

:-D

~R.D.>

Guest Gino Under

Just a suggestion.....

take out an Elementary School English test book and you'll quickly discover that starting a sentence with AND is part of our language and composition.

FYI

Archived