AC 777 YYZ crosswind

HST

Unbelievable…..crosswind landings are the norm in YZ ….and the wind wasn’t even that strong….pretty close to a wing tip scrape…can’t imagine what the mood was like in the cockpit taxiing in (or the cabin, for that matters)

Nothing like the media covering an aviation story:

An Air Canada flight was caught on video making a hard landing at Toronto Pearson Airport in Ontario, Canada on Monday evening as gusty crosswinds battered the runway.

I wouldn’t call 310 10-22 exactly battering the runway.

The incident was expertly handled by the pilot who stabilised the aircraft and avoided a crash landing on the runway at the end of the 12-hour flight.

If it was expertly handled, we wouldn’t have the video being covered by an paper half way around the world. Imo

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/air-canada-flight-crosswinds-rough-landing-b2447558.html

Perhaps we should wait for the investigation?

Watch the video carefully.  The decent rate increases suddenly at about 100 feet with a pitch up.  

looks like wind shear to me.  Then the right gear hits the ground first and caused a roll to the left.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Perhaps we should wait for the investigation?

Watch the video carefully.  The decent rate increases suddenly at about 100 feet with a pitch up.  

looks like wind shear to me.  Then the right gear hits the ground first and caused a roll to the left.

Unlikely that any investigation will be done by the TSB, so I doubt there is anything to wait for. Might as well comment. It seemed like the wings went back and forth significantly on short final. Supposedly the 777 is susceptible to this and I believe that it was mentioned in the HKG tailstrike.