Airlines we remember and / or worked for

Malcolm

I bet there is a lot of history locked up in the memories of this forum's members, so..... Starting off:

I joined Canadian Pacific Airlines in 1965. (retired after 35 great years, was always fairly treated) and enjoyed most of my time.

We were trained in Richmond and once training was complete we were sent out to bases across Canada. Our starting wage was $200.00 a month and after a 6 month probation, that was increased to $220.00. Our work week was a full 40 hours. As passenger agents we make reservations, checked passengers in at the airport (after a bus and ferry ride to Digby), completed a load sheet (OD10), marshalled the aircraft in, chocked the wheels, started and plugged in the GPU and then placed the airstairs (rear hatch) ........ then best of all we greeted the Stewardess who helped open the door. While the arrival activity was taking place 2 of the transport drivers unloaded the holds and reloaded based on the OD10 the baggage / cargo for the next station. The morning route of the DC6 was YVR, YXT, YPR, YZP, YVR. In the afternoon the reverse route was followed.

Being on an island, we quite often were hampered by fog. 

Please add your memories etc to this thread re the airline / airport you worked for.

And then of course were the airlines:

TCA -(tin can airlines)

CPA (Crash and Panic)

SAS (sex and satisfaction)

Central Northern Airways (became Transair after merging with Arctic Wings), Alaska Coastal, Wardfair,  TWA, Continental, BOAC, Air France, Olympic Airlines, South African and the list goes on.

19 hours ago, Falken said:

I offered an outside chat that UP posted at a wedding where I was sitting with the photographer who

kept saying it over and over again even as his date tried to shut him up.😡 

Just wondering what this post meant. Falken?

Getting back to long forgotten carriers...27 years ago joined Canadian Regional airlines, DHC8 FO in YYC. I was one of the lower time guys with 4500 hours. Starting wage $24K.  Had to take on a part time instructing job to help make ends meet.

1 hour ago, UpperDeck said:

Just wondering what this post meant. Falken?

My WAG........Perhaps he meant that Scare Ontario was a demeaning "name" for Air Ontario and as this guy was repeating it  he was ready to go outsiude and "chat" ( with few words ), more action ,OUTSIDE.....  with the  guy that kept on saying it.

28 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

My WAG........Perhaps he meant that Scare Ontario was a demeaning "name" for Air Ontario and as this guy was repeating it  he was ready to go outsiude and "chat" ( with few words ), more action ,OUTSIDE.....  with the  guy that kept on saying it.

Interesting take, KP.

As you probably know, Air Ontario was preceded by "Great Lakes" known generally as "Great Shakes". That was a widely-used reference.  "Scare" Ontario was also an oft-used reference by most....well, many.....employees and within the employee group, was considered more a term of endearment than a disparagement.

Why would a photog at a wedding keep saying "Scare Ontario"? One assumes Falken worked for AO which was known to this fellow? Hmmm.

14 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

Why would a photog at a wedding keep saying "Scare Ontario"? One assumes Falken worked for AO which was known to this fellow? Hmmm.

Doesn't sound normal to be repeatedly saying something like this. Maybe he had or knew someone who had a scary F-28 takeoff.

4 hours ago, Falken said:

Upper Deck - it was because of the Scare Ontario comment.

PS: I think you stole one of our lovely Flight Attendants🤔 

One?!! Hah! I think I had a "thing" for women in uniform! However....one of the former AO Fa's did commit theft. She stole my heart but by then, she was working for Cdn.

The instigators included former girlfriends from AO and a pilot or two.

• Haha 1