All about Swoop

1 hour ago, MD2 said:

Every time Air Canada apologists try to defend it, they just embarrass it more...and themselves!

First, it was asserted that in 2006 British Airways did not have flat bed seats in its club class!! (very easy to check and I personally know)

Then it was that Air Canada did not have bail-outs!! (well, the last one was in 2009 for over a billion and easy to check)

Then that Air Canada was a "newly merged airline" in 2006!!! ( and therefore it was ok for them to sell business class in old B767 with seats that hardly reclined!!)

(again easy to check and see in December of 1999 Air Canada took over Canadian. How long it took to merge the operations was its own prerogative and problem. By any account, even if it was 2001, it was hardly a "newly merged airline" in 2006, whatever that means!!

Please stop defending Air Canada, it's getting ridiculous and boring!!!  

Yet for every critical post about WestJet or Swoop, you reply with one about AirCanada.   Talk about boring. ? And the official date of the take over was Jan 01, 2001 not 1999.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an attempt to be fair, WestJet main and it's offspring Encore appear to be holding up well which of course does raise the question re Swoop and why it is not doing so good.  

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

Yet for every critical post about WestJet or Swoop, you reply with one about AirCanada.   Talk about boring. ? And the official date of the take over was Jan 01, 2001 not 1999.

In one post you suggested that the trip in 2006 on an Air Canada B767 must have been on Rouge!! This begs the question: in what year did Air Canada start Rouge?!!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Marshall said:

Re AC 767. There are of course 2 versions, one operated by AC and one operated by Rouge.https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Boeing_767-300ER_v2.php

So it would appear the passenger was on Rouge. 

At least read your airline's history!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/air-canada-timeline/article20448625/

Nov 05th, 1999: Onex scraps offer to buy Air Canada

Nov 08th, 1999: Air Canada goes ahead with plans to buy Canadian

Dec 05th, 1999: Canadian board recommends shareholders accept the offer

Dec 21st, 1999: Air Canada's offer gets Federal government (their buddies) approval

Jan 03rd, 2000: Take over becomes official.

Speaking of 2001, that was when Air Canada started its "Tango" which the competition Bureau "credited" for bankrupting Canada 3000.

10 hours ago, MD2 said:

In one post you suggested that the trip in 2006 on an Air Canada B767 must have been on Rouge!! This begs the question: in what year did Air Canada start Rouge?!!

At least read your airline's history!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/air-canada-timeline/article20448625/

Nov 05th, 1999: Onex scraps offer to buy Air Canada

Nov 08th, 1999: Air Canada goes ahead with plans to buy Canadian

Dec 05th, 1999: Canadian board recommends shareholders accept the offer

Dec 21st, 1999: Air Canada's offer gets Federal government (their buddies) approval

Jan 03rd, 2000: Take over becomes official.

Speaking of 2001, that was when Air Canada started its "Tango" which the competition Bureau "credited" for bankrupting Canada 3000.

Re Rouge, That was suggested when you first posted your remarks re BA and 767s without any dates or routes. so at that time it was a reasonable guess. 

and I quote: 

•  
  • MD2
  • Members
  • 778 posts

Speaking of "getting what one pays for", I recall a friend recounting his experience on a trip once back from Europe.

Booked in club class with BA in the morning, he decided to catch a midnight flight on Air Canada to arrive a little earlier. The flight in "business class" of Air Canada, which actually cost more, ended-up on an old beat-up B767 with seats that barely reclined and no screens! They did have a few beat-up DVD players, few of which actually worked, and some people did manage to get one! Then on the taxi, the flight had a mechanical problem and ended up sitting on the taxiway for several hours. The flight ended up being late arriving barely ahead of the original BA flight with its flat beds and great service! So yes, one gets what one pays for, although ironically that flight did cost more!!

My history is from the AirCanada site as posted.

Toward a merger with Canadian

Air Canada and Canadian Airlines International Ltd. officially merge on January 1, 2001.  http://moments.aircanada.com/timeline/1999-toward-a-merger-with-canadian-airlines/  I tend to believe the official AC site rather than a newspaper ?

As to reading my airline's history, my airline isn't nor was it ever AirCanada. 

Air Canada was invited to look at buying Canadian (a couple of times) and some people from Montreal spent a LOT of time in Calgary looking at the books.

A decision was made at Air Canada to take a pass as it just wasn't worth the trouble or money.

Then the Federal Government stepped up the pressure on Air Canada and the Feds recommended that an offer be made.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:15 PM, Fido said:

Air Canada was invited to look at buying Canadian (a couple of times) and some people from Montreal spent a LOT of time in Calgary looking at the books.

A decision was made at Air Canada to take a pass as it just wasn't worth the trouble or money.

Then the Federal Government stepped up the pressure on Air Canada and the Feds "recommended" that an offer be made.

"recommended" ????

LOL

19 hours ago, AIP said:

"recommended" ????

LOL

That is why I put it in quotes.

There were things said by Lieberal cabinet ministers like 'The government owns the CP international landing rights and will decide who gets them.

One of many reasons why I would never vote Liberal.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, Marshall said:

As to reading my airline's history, my airline isn't nor was it ever AirCanada. 

Ok then, I stand corrected. See it's not hard to acknowledge one's mistakes!!

On the issue of the merger date, not that it makes a whole lot of difference, but I believe the third party, as opposed to the airline's propaganda or agenda on how they want to spin things....

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, livin' said:

MD2, while you’re throwing stones and being a bit of a jack**, don’t forget that WJ was at least partially built on corporate espionage.

First of all, it takes one to know one. And secondly speaking of corporate espionage, just because Air Canada wasn't caught, doesn't mean it didn't start it. I know all about Air Canada's "corporate espionage", like cleverly (they thought anyway) funding various "groups" to fight Porter's expansion plans. Not to mention multitude of frivolous lawsuits. Take care now. 

23 hours ago, MD2 said:

First of all, it takes one to know one. And secondly speaking of corporate espionage, just because Air Canada wasn't caught, doesn't mean it didn't start it. I know all about Air Canada's "corporate espionage", like cleverly (they thought anyway) funding various "groups" to fight Porter's expansion plans. Not to mention multitude of frivolous lawsuits. Take care now. 

oooh you got me real good there S.

Instead of being an internet troll why not just enjoy what you have instead of trying to bring others down.

Internet troll:  In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topicmessages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Archived