Chopper Pax Trapped By Unauthorized Harness

Kip Powick

New York City’s deadly helicopter crash has prompted the National Transportation Safety Board to call on federal regulators to prohibit commercial flights that use passenger harness systems that do not allow for easy release. Five passengers who couldn’t free themselves from their harnesses drowned.

NEW YORK—The pilot of the helicopter on a deadly sightseeing flight that crashed into the East River was wearing less-restrictive safety gear than his passengers, federal investigators found.

The five people who drowned in the March 11 crash were wearing harnesses that had not been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration. Safety belts attached behind them during the open-door flight.

The pilot, Richard Vance, wasn’t wearing a harness —only lap and shoulder belts —and escaped from the rapidly sinking Liberty Helicopter Airbus AS350 with only minor injuries, the National Transportation Safety Board said Monday.

“It was a death trap,” said lawyer Gary C. Robb of Kansas City. “They were momentarily shocked by the landing, upside down in frigid water, harnessed in the back, looking for a knife, because they were harnessed in the back. You would have to be Houdini to get out.”

Robb said the victims drowned 5 to 8 feet below the surface in 4 C degree water.

“Unless you have had extensive training in getting out that kind of harnesses, it is virtually impossible,” he said.

Robb represents the family of Dallas native Trevor Cadigan, 26, who drowned in the crash.

Investigators said the helicopter was 11 minutes into the 30-minute evening flight when it lost power and dropped from the sky.

The helicopter rolled over and sank in seconds, even though it was equipped with floats, which may have malfunctioned. Investigators are still examining the float system.

The harnesses, attached to a lanyard to prevent passengers from falling out of the helicopter, were installed by FlyNYON, the company that sold the tour. The harness system had never been evaluated by the FAA, the NTSB said.

Had the flight ended normally, FlyNYON staff would have released a locking carabiner to free the passengers.

“Despite being given a briefing on how to remove these additional harnesses using a provided cutting tool, none of the passengers were able to escape after the helicopter rolled over into the water,” the NTSB said.

The safety equipment should have had a single point release mechanism, but the one on the flight did not, investigators said.

Investigators noted that after a 2008 crash, three survivors said their difficulty in understanding how to get out of the restraint slowed their attempts to get out of the aircraft.

The NTSB urged the FAA to order helicopter companies to ban open door flights unless they are equipped with quick release safety harnesses.

“While we applaud the FAA’s intention to move forward on banning these types of doors-off flights, the FAA has not outlined how or when they plan to take action,” said NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt. “And definitive action needs to be taken.”

On Friday, the FAA ordered operators and pilots across the country to replace overly restrictive restraints, and banned open door flights that involve restraints that can’t be released quickly.

The FAA will also examine its rules to see if any changes are necessary.

“We have taken action to suspend these ‘doors-off’ flights, and will review rules to ensure proper application among operators of these types of flights,” an agency official said.

Sightseers take open-door flights because they can take better pictures of the city skyline. The FlyNYON website contains pictures of sightseers with their feet hanging out of the aircraft hundreds of feet in the air.

A FlyNYON official did not return a call, nor has Liberty commented.

Passenger’s choice to have the doors removed for better photos and thrills on these NYC helicopter rides. You’re shown a safety video which no one really pays any attention to much like airliner videos. Don’t know the story about the straps not being FAA approved but it would certainly be a difficult situation underwater and having to remove the extra seat restraints. Not my kind of thrill. 

I took my two (late teenager) children on one of these helicopter tours a few years ago.  I was satisfied with the safety protocols in place - seemed like safety was being given prime importance.  There was a well marked path from the terminal to the helicopter, guides who were professional, a clear and detailed safety video, every passenger was weighted for W+B, inflatable vests and instructions on how and when to use them, upon entering the helicopter every person donned a headset and was in direct 2-way communication with the pilot who gave a further briefing.  The flight itself was smooth and the pilot was very conservative with rates of turn, bank angles etc.  Based on my personal experience I have recommended the helicopter tour as a must-do when in NYC.

31 minutes ago, seeker said:

Based on my personal experience I have recommended the helicopter tour as a must-do when in NYC.

Passengers couldn’t free themselves while submerged due to the emergency floatation devices on the skids not inflating evenly. The pilot managed to survive so it’s good to know his priorities too. 

Again, not my kind of thrill. The lawsuits have already begun on this accident but I’m sure there was a passenger consent form/waiver signed at some point before takeoff. 

If one has ever seen the training the Oil Rig workers go through before getting on a helicopter to go to the rig, you would wonder why flight over water is even allowed with regular tourists.  even if it is just the river.

Oil Rig workers go through extensive training on extricating them selves from an inverted and underwater helicopter in frigid waters of the north atlantic.  The training is done in a large pool with rescue divers on standby should anything go wrong.

To think that mom and pop kettle on a trip to NYC could even fathom escaping in those circumstances with nothing but a 5 minute briefing is ridiculous.   Especially when the harness is more difficult than it needs to be.

imagine if the 5 point harness on your pilot seat undid behind your head by unclipping a LOCKING caribener instead of reaching to your crotch and turning the release.

1 hour ago, boestar said:

magine if the 5 point harness on your pilot seat undid behind your head by unclipping a LOCKING caribener instead of reaching to your crotch and turning the release.

For Those That don't Know....

This is a slide auto locking carabiner... not safe as it is easy to accidentally unlock

Traditional-Auto-Locking-Carabiner-Opening.jpg

This a screw gate locking carabiner......The knurled  sleeve must be spun up on threads to lock it, Can only be undone by reversing the procedure. Very safe for rock/ice/mountain climbing

Image result for locking carabiner

Not aware of what kind the chopper was using but if it was "screw gate", one would be hard pressed to get it undone while choking on cold  water in a panic situation.

I only use  screw gate carabiners...from  Black Diamond in Utah

"To think that mom and pop kettle on a trip to NYC could even fathom escaping in those circumstances with nothing but a 5 minute briefing is ridiculous."

I appreciate your point Boestar, but how well would mom & pop be expected to do if their 777 flight ditched in the middle of the North Atlantic?

I have to add; I think the technology has its place for sure, but I never did feel real comfortable with a flying machine that depends on so many large moving parts to remain in flight.

31 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

"To think that mom and pop kettle on a trip to NYC could even fathom escaping in those circumstances with nothing but a 5 minute briefing is ridiculous."

I appreciate your point Boestar, but how well would mom & pop be expected to do if their 777 flight ditched in the middle of the North Atlantic?

Mom & Pop Kettel aren’t making it out of the 777 either. They (the plane) just vanish and are never seen again. 

Archived