Accident in Northern Saskatchewan

J.O.

Looks to be pretty basic but in good condition. Just have to know when to use it.

My deicing equipment during my DC3 days consisted of a broom and the ability to land on my feet when I slid off the wing. 

Edited by blues deville
  • Like 1

The deicing equipment shown in the pic is intended to deice props, not entire aircraft.

When pilots survive a crash and are shown to be negligent, they need to be jailed, otherwise the lessons that were supposed to be learned through Dryden will never be  respected.

If the pilots elected to T/O and it's known ice was involved, charges of criminal negligence causing death would seem to be appropriate in this case.

Edited by DEFCON

Well, yes and no.

When the proper deicing equipment isn't available, or aircraft MEL status creates other operational deicing difficulties and the only option left to the pilot is to cancel, some will think they know better, or fear the boss, or whatever their excuse, but they are the ones that are most prone to making dangerously stupid and or willfully negligent decisions to keep the show going.

Fortunately for all concerned, in most circumstances nothing else goes wrong on departure and other than the pilots, no one else is otherwise aware of the danger now passed.

It's through this sort of near death experience that the novice pilot learns a most important lesson, or becomes the  type of idiot that is encouraged by his bravado & successes; he will continue to make dangerous decisions until something, or someone intervenes.

Do yourself a favour and take the time to read the Dryden Report; it really is a good read.

• 3 years later...

Investigators release findings into 2017 West Wind Aviation crash in northern Sask

atrdown.jpg.9c8ef6f2869fd709671084ed3b2e6e59.jpg

'Company departures from remote airports, such as Fond-du-Lac, with some amount of surface contamination on the aircraft’s critical surfaces had become common practice, in part due to the inadequacy of de-icing equipment or services at these locations. The past success of these adaptations resulted in this unsafe practice becoming normalized and this normalization influenced the flight crew’s decision to depart.'

West Wind ATR 42 - TSB Final Report