this Guy Can Ride

J.O.

Pretty impressive handling of a big bike. What do one of those weigh?? 500 lbs??

Depending upon the year plus the radio setup, the 'normal weight', (dry), is about 725 Lbs.....si I would certainly agree, this rider is exceptional, especially at slow speeds :tu:

Even more impressive with a 200 lb + guy plus gear he balancing around 1000lbs at those sloooow speeds. He certainly dosen't have much clearance between the cones and the saddle bags on a lot of those tight sections.

There is a guy named Jerry "motorman' Paladino that has a course he runs in the US. He trains these guys for Motor Officer Training. He taught a 15 year old girl that could not touch the ground when sitting on a full dressed Harley Police special to run a similar course. It was very impressive to say the lease. She weighed less than 100 pounds.\

I took a very similar course in YOW last year and believe it or not handling an 800 lb buke at slow speeds is easier than it sounds. It is nerve racking for sure but once you are taught the methods and tricks it becomes easier. Practice helps too. Most of these bikes are very stable with a low Cof G.

Having said that this guy is a great rider and deserves applause for that clean ride.

lookup gerry motorman paladino or ride like a pro on youtube to see his training videos.

If you ride get the video he offers and practice it. invaluable lessons there

Yeah, he's pretty good but check out this girl!

"Pretty good"?....................He's damned good. There is no comparison to someone having a good balance on a bicycle and a person manhandling 700+ lbs of motorized machinery in a very enclosd space. The young lady is neat to watch...but no comparison...not even in the same league.....just MHO.;)

"Pretty good"?....................He's damned good. There is no comparison to someone having a good balance on a bicycle and a person manhandling 700+ lbs of motorized machinery in a very enclosd space. The young lady is neat to watch...but no comparison...not even in the same league.....just MHO.;)

I was being sarcastic when I called him "pretty good", he is an excellent rider, and I've been riding for over 30 years but I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this one Kip. IMO, the skills the girl possesses far exceed the his driving skill. As boestar says, the Harley has a low centre of gravity and tons of stability - how much stability do you think the pedal bike has with her standing on the handlebars? I guess the "proof" is that he runs courses (a weekend?) to teach regular riders to do this while I'd bet it's taken years for her to learn.

I think the guy should have got some time penalties for all the chrome he left on the pavement. He was using his footrests like training wheels. B)

The footboards have skid plates on the bottom that can be utilized for just the purpose he was using them for.

• 2 weeks later...

Moe. there are no skid plates on the floorboards. Just Chrome. Dragging them is a normal part of these maneuvers. I drag my boards all the time is tight corners, it's just a way of the bike saying you are ALMOST to the limit. The boards do however fold up when they contact or the bike would dig in and that would be the end of it.

Moe. there are no skid plates on the floorboards. Just Chrome. Dragging them is a normal part of these maneuvers. I drag my boards all the time is tight corners, it's just a way of the bike saying you are ALMOST to the limit. The boards do however fold up when they contact or the bike would dig in and that would be the end of it.

If you're dragging "the boards" you are are past the limit. It's like flying around with the stick shaker activated - beyond the normal operating range.

No There is almost a half inch to the chicken strip at that point. Lots of tread left when dragging the boards. The scraping boards are just a warning that you are getting close.

No There is almost a half inch to the chicken strip at that point. Lots of tread left when dragging the boards. The scraping boards are just a warning that you are getting close.

No, I still believe if you're draggin' any part of the bike you're over the acceptable limit - the tires don't know what kind of bike they're on so the fact that there's tread left means nothing.

You're not giving the designers much credit. That's like saying that the stall warning on your aircraft is useless because the wing doesn't know which airplane it's on. :Scratch-Head:

Well, that's not really what I'm saying. Boestar says it's ok, to drag the footboards since he'll still be within the tire bank limits when he does it - I'm saying nothing should be dragging. On his bike the footboards set the limit not the tires.

You are correct. As they do on the HD Ultra and Electra that are used by the police Motor officers. I had the opportunity to watch a demonstration at the Cap Breton bike fest last weekend and sure enough they routinely dragged the boards. Oddly enough so do the Golden Helmets arguably the best riders in the world.

You're not giving the designers much credit. That's like saying that the stall warning on your aircraft is useless because the wing doesn't know which airplane it's on. :Scratch-Head:

Do you often change to new wings from the Tire Rack?

Archived