Air Canada cuts 255 jobs in Winnipeg: union

internet

I love some of the comments ...

Biff the Spiff wrote:

Posted 2009/12/18

at 11:15 AM ET It's about time layoffs started happening with this company. The share price is way to low, and it is unable to operate effectively. The unions need to be curbed back. Well done to the executives for this; keep up the good work..

I'd like to know the reason for layoffs. This is the A320 shop, I presume. Are these Air Canada employees or AVEOS employees?

If the latter, the entire article is wrong since staffing levels would reflect third party as well as AC work, and I suspect there is very little third party work coming North with a 93-cent dollar. I know that the IAM employees have bumping rights, blah, blah, blah, but if Air Canada isn't the one laying them off then the story is incorrect.

Now if we are talking about the finance department or line maintenance, that's different. Or if I missed the news that AC now runs its own maintenance ops.

Dagger; Air Canada has somehow gotten approval from Transport Canada to extend the period between heavy maintenance checks on the A320 family. Management has informed the Union that this will translate to approximately 850 layoffs system wide.

Dagger; Air Canada has somehow gotten approval from Transport Canada to extend the period between heavy maintenance checks on the A320 family. Management has informed the Union that this will translate to approximately 850 layoffs system wide.

I thought that was because Airbus told all A320 family operators that they could do this based on its now two decades-plus of experience with those models.

If job cuts are needed, then so be it. I myself am getting tired of reduced block hours.

btw, according to a source, all F/A leaves and job mitigation programs have been cancelled as of January 1. Perhaps things are turning up, or it might be that there has been more attrition.

Archived