Passenger Lands King Air

J.O.

Yeah, amazing except for the fact that the passenger was actually a pilot too!

I mean good job and all, but it wasn't as if he didn't already have significant training.

I guess the headline;

Pilot lands Airplane (for which he wasn't typed) isn't quite as exciting.

laugh.gif

c'mon, it makes for a sensational bit on a slow news day!

Just another nail in the coffin of media credibilty. cool.gif

Not very impressive for an untrained pilot to be able to land a King Air anyway but if the guy had landed an MU-2 or maybe a Jetstream I would have been impressed. laugh.gif

It's also funny that in the middle of this story about a "heroic" passenger and one dead pilot the controller spokesman still manages to fit in the union line; "by the way we're underpaid for what we do."

(No mention of what they did with the dead guy.)

Was it the tainted meat or the dodgy fish?

I read this story in Grade 9 english.

It was called Flight into Danger by John Castle and Arthur Hailey. CBC did a teleplay with it in the late 50's that included actor James (Scotty) Doohan.

A more satirical version was released in 1980, (Airplane!).

Awaiting various posts expressing righteous indignation......

cool26.gif

Didnt one of the Airport movies do this as well. I seem to remember Karen Black or something trying to fly a 747 with a hole in it.

Didnt one of the Airport movies do this as well.  I seem to remember Karen Black or something trying to fly a 747 with a hole in it.

That is correct. They ended up dropping Charlie Heston in through the hole in the cockpit that was made by a collision with a light airplane, who's pilot had, wait for it, a heart attack. By far the worst "thriller" movie ever made. It even gave credibility to The Poseidon Adventure. Such a shame after the pretty decent job that they did on the first Airport movie. Where's Joe Petroni when you need him!

Was it the tainted meat or the dodgy fish?

I read this story in Grade 9 english.

It was called Flight into Danger by John Castle and Arthur Hailey. CBC did a teleplay with it in the late 50's that included actor James (Scotty) Doohan.

A more satirical version was released in 1980, (Airplane!).

Awaiting various posts expressing righteous indignation......

cool26.gif

I think there was a fictional Canadian book called "Runway 08" that had a food-poisoned crew (salmon) replaced by an ex-Spitfire pilot. The book was set in the mid 50s and, if I recall correctly, it was a TCA flight (DC-6?) from YWG-YVR and the crew became incapacitated somewhere over Calgary. Of course any nearby airport was fogged in and the only guy onboard that could save the day was an ex-Spitfire pilot who hadn't flown in more than 10 years. He eventually flies a full-procedure non-precision approach to minimums in YVR and saves everyone.

Subsequently to this Air Canada amended their FOM to disallow both crew members from eating the same meal before or during a flight.

They ended up dropping Charlie Heston in through the hole in the cockpit that was made by a collision with a light airplane, who's pilot had, wait for it, a heart attack. By far the worst "thriller" movie ever made.

Yup, that was AIRPORT 1975...one of the worst airplane movies ever made. The only thing that was kinda cool was the scenes of the 747 flying through the mountains as that was actual footage.

The "hole" on the plane was merely paint.

Heston was a real pain..a real pompous ass.....but what else would you expect after he played Moses in The Ten Commandments rolleyes.gif

I may have related this story on here before. When I was an instructor in the early 80's, I had a student who had a total of 6 hours of dual instruction in C150s when he went along with a work colleague on a flight from YFD to YUL in a C172. His colleague suffered a massive heart attack just north of the Burlington Skyway. My student declared a PAN with YYZ ATC and asked for radar vectors to YHM. He even had the presence of mind to realize that his first approach was too high and did a go-around. His second approach was perfect and he got it on the ground safely. Unfortunately his colleague had passed away.

Check your settings wink.gif

It's still there!

Resource is no longer available!

The requested URL is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please inform the author of the referring page that the link is outdated.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 410

dailywav.com

Mon Apr 13 16:47:14 2009

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) PHP/5.2.8 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7m mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.7

Then there's Mythbusters Airplane Hour

An untrained civilian can be instructed how to successfully land a plane over the radio.

Based off of multiple airplane movies, this myth posed a challenge to the Mythbusters because they could not afford to test it using real aircraft.

Instead, they used a NASA simulator. For their first test, both Adam and Jamie decided to see if they could land a plane unaided. However, since both Mythbusters had no flight experience and had no idea what most of the instruments and controls did, they both were forced to crash land their planes. In their second runs, a licensed pilot give them instructions via radio.

With this help, both Adam and Jamie were able to land their planes safely. However, even though the test was a success, the pilot pointed out that most modern planes are so advanced that their autopilot systems can literally land the plane by themselves, negating the need for a civilian pilot.

This information, coupled with the lack of any recorded incidents, led the Mythbusters to declare the myth plausible.

Why do I have the feeling this is going to be the start of a long, tortuous thread?

biggrin.gif

I may have related this story on here before. When I was an instructor in the early 80's, I had a student who had a total of 6 hours of dual instruction in C150s when he went along with a work colleague on a flight from YFD to YUL in a C172. His colleague suffered a massive heart attack just north of the Burlington Skyway. My student declared a PAN with YYZ ATC and asked for radar vectors to YHM. He even had the presence of mind to realize that his first approach was too high and did a go-around. His second approach was perfect and he got it on the ground safely. Unfortunately his colleague had passed away.

Did you move up the seniority list ?? laugh.gif

....most modern planes are so advanced that their autopilot systems can literally land the plane by themselves, negating the need for a civilian pilot.

This is true....Given enough time, a fair weather day, a competent instructor pilot who happens to be near a radio, a relatively stable and intelligent person sitting in the seat, a mechanically serviceable aircraft and lots of fuel, compliant ATC and a good airport with an ILS it is possible that an untrained person could program the FMS and get the aircraft on the ground safely.

Did you move up the seniority list ?? laugh.gif

The guy was a work colleague of my students, not of mine. He was also my next door neighbour. I should have known that the way I wrote it would cause confusion.

with this result................

Resource is no longer available!

The requested URL is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please inform the author of the referring page that the link is outdated.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 410

dailywav.com

Mon Apr 13 18:08:34 2009

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) PHP/5.2.8 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7m mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.7

Edit ::::,,,,((Ooops saw the post above...I'm using IE so I won't see the link and don't feel like puting in FF just for the link laugh.gif )

Archived