So what was all that about snow tires?

Mitch Cronin

Might we hear from some of you critics of snow tires now? ...Do you still think your "all season" tires are fine? icon_question.gif

....just thought I'd gloat a little... I saw you guys without snows all across yyz today... pathetic... tongue.gif

I don't think I was a critic but I was skeptical. It's quite coincidental I was thinking of the snow tire thread as I was driving home tonight. Drawing on the collective wisdom of the AEforum star chamber braintrust I decided to experiment and bought a set of 4 around new years. Practically gave up trying to find any of them in YYZ but green and ross on Markham rd had a set. Michelins!

As for the results versus buying new all seasons radials every two years. Well, Even in tonights snow storm I can't say I've noticed a big difference but then I drive overly cautiously at off hrs on lightly travelled back roads. I will say they're's enough of a confidence boost that the drive is a bit more carefree. If there was any advantage at all I'd say they do seem to plow through the deep stuff more easily and track more comfortably in the snow and they are a bit softer in terms of the ride on the really cold days.

Of course, In the past, on days like this I might have worked from at home instead of driving in.

Al in all, In my particular case - no significant advantage gained. For somebody on more regular hours, real or imagined, definitely more peace of mind about not getting stuck.

There is no substitute for getting a good set of tires designed for snow/ice/slush IMHO. I've installed Michelin's in the winter time for about 20 years now and the Arctic Alpen's as they used to be known as of a couple of years ago now, or now the X-Ice tires (even better) have saved me from at least 2 crashes in the last 5 years or so. (I've never had a crash BTW). Winnipeg, when I lived there, had some of the crappiest conditions on the street in the country when it came to ice and packed snow. The Michelin's always worked well enough to stop 2 tons of steel in a reasonable distance compared to when I still ran all season tires.

I had an incident last week in Edmonton on cold snow packed streets and someone in a large pickup truck went pisswhistling through a stop sign about 75 feet in front of me and the Michelin's saved the day even when the anti-skid lit off and got me stopped. At least I could still steer. (I had to go and try and help the guy out after he hit a light standard though). Those tires did their job. If I'd still had the all seasons on I'm sure I would have broadsided the guy.

About the only downside to a good set of Michelin's is that they have to come off in the spring and then put back on in the fall because they wear out very quickly at road surface temps above about 5C for any length of time. That just reminds me in the spring to change the synth oil in the engine however.

There is another maker - Nokian - that apparently can take summertime roadway surface temps without needing changing and wearing out prematurely, but I'm waiting a bit longer to see what other folks experience have with them.

In the end I wouldn't drive any other tires right now.

The benefits of proper snows will be even more noticeable if you are using any type of low profile performance summer tyres. I have 18" 45% profile Bridgestones and even cold temps make a difference. They are designed for warm temps. Run onto any snow and they might as well be skis.

The side walls and tread are too firm to throw out any snow so they essentially become slicks.

Four snows on their own steel rims are the way to go IMO.

They may not look too pretty but they look better than a deployed airbag.

i'm on my very first set, Goodyear Nordics. While I don't see much difference accelerating(probably a good thing), the stopping performance is significantly better. Glad to have them. They're great for cornering too!

Had Nordics last year, went with Hakkaapiilittaas this year, holy jumping!!!! what a difference. We got about 20cm yesterday here in YOW and the travel in this AM on snowy roads was not a problem, where as last year, the car was sliding all over, do not even want to contemplate what it would have been like with all seasons. blink.gif

I've got 2 questions....

1. Where did you get them in YOW, and;

2. just how the double hockey sticks do you pronounce that name other than Hakka's when trying to explain it to the tire guys?

4 different tire shops hadn't heard of them when I tried to let them know what I wanted..

I'm in Edmonton so maybe those names haven't made it out here in the stubble jumping part of the country.

Guest rattler
I've got 2 questions....

2. just how the double hockey sticks do you pronounce that name other than Hakka's when trying to explain it to the tire guys?

4 different tire shops hadn't heard of them when I tried to let them know what I wanted..

I'm in Edmonton so maybe those names haven't made it out here in the stubble jumping part of the country.

Edmonton, even there you could visit a Kal Tire outlet the same as we can in YYC.

How about those Oilers??? biggrin.gif

Hakkapeliitta Q

Passenger Winter

Features/Benefits

Constructed to offer responsive handling and driving control on all types of road conditions while providing a smooth ride combined with a long tread life for safe winter driving. Innovative Spiral Sipe System offers tremendous grip on ice, improving braking capabilities, particularly with ABS braking systems. Aggressive tread design with hundreds of biting sipes provides for a self cleaning tread to expel ice, snow and water from tread area for exceptional winter traction.

Meets Rubber Association of Canada severe snow performance requirements.

Speed Rating

Q

Tread Sizes

155/80R13

165/70R13

165/80R13

175/70R14

185/R14

195/70R14

195/R14

205/70R14

205/65R15

225/70R15

195/75R16

205/65R16

205/R16

215/65R16

215/75R16

I've got 2 questions....

They are pronounced HAKA Pal Ita

I goy mine at Frisby Tire. You will have to look under the name of NOKIAN.

I have 195-55-15.

These are with out a doubt the best winter tires I have ever had.

Good on ya Robert! They're awesome tires. Our Celica is on the second set and my g35 is also wearing them... and they're made for larger vehicles as well... I had a set on my Suburban. (at least they were, maybe they've stopped?)

You can check sizes at http://nokiantyres.com

Unbelieveable control in snow! ...and on a speed rated tire! I don't buy that bunk about long tread life though... the first set we had on the Celica only lasted 3 winters.

Good on ya Robert! They're awesome tires. Our Celica is on the second set and my g35 is also wearing them... and they're made for larger vehicles as well... I had a set on my Suburban. (at least they were, maybe they've stopped?)

You can check sizes at http://nokiantyres.com

Unbelieveable control in snow! ...and on a speed rated tire! I don't buy that bunk about long tread life though... the first set we had on the Celica only lasted 3 winters.

Thanks Mitch,

I agree, they are the best. I wanted to get a set for my wifes Matrix, but due to the new tire law in La Belle Province, winter tires here in YOW are difficult to find.

I found a set of Gislav nordfrost, did some research on them and found the reviews were excellent. I had them installed yesterday and they are very good in the snow.

Bean had Dunlop 315/35/R20 on the back and 275/40/R20's on the front and they were as useful in snow as a sliding patio door on a submarine.

Changed over to Dunlop 255/55/18's and I'm considering a drive to the peak of Mt. Washington this weekend.

Anyone who thinks All Seasons are as good as winters is dreaming.

Buy 4 snows, put 'em on inexpensive rims, (cause they'll get beaten up in the winter) and you'll never regret your decision.

cool26.gif

Archived