Just Let It Go............

The province of Quebec has been advertising this 400th birthday as a great Canadian event with (I am sure) all of the funding Ottawa can send them. Any grade 9 Canadian history student can tell you who took the checkered flag at this battle......

July 17, 2008

McCartney tells Quebec nationalists to smoke ’the pipes of peace’

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

QUEBEC — Paul McCartney is telling critics of his upcoming concert in Quebec City to “smoke the pipes of peace.”

McCartney told Radio-Canada today he doesn’t understand Quebec nationalists who say his presence is out of place at Quebec City’s 400th birthday celebrations.

Some have argued he shouldn’t be playing because of the battle between his native Britain and the French in Quebec in the 1750s.

But the ex-Beatle says that logic means he should never visit Germany due to the world wars that pitted Britain against Germany.

The controversy over McCartney’s concert on the Plains of Abraham hasn’t dampened his spirits.

He says he’s looking forward to the show and hopes concertgoers have the best night of their lives.

Organizers are expecting around 200,000 people for the open-air show.

This story reminds me of the pilot I once knew who was constantly venting about flight attendants wearing wings on their uniform. I told him he should be thankful that was all he had to complain about. Same goes for these nationalists.

I hope he hangs a huge Union Jack on his stage... Just to remind the petty dinks who's zoomin' who.

What a pile!

Maybe he'll cancel and they can get Celine instead. laugh.gif

Hah, you beat me to it. I hope he tells them to stuff their concert and just goes someplace where he's appreciated. It's not like he needs the money.

... Just to remind the petty dinks who's zoomin' who.

"The culmination of a three-month siege by the British, the battle lasted less than an hour. British troops commanded by General James Wolfe successfully resisted the column advance of French troops and New French militia under Louis-Joseph, Marquis de Montcalm. Both generals were mortally wounded during the battle; Wolfe died on the field and Montcalm passed away the next morning. In the wake of the battle, France's remaining military force in Canada and the rest of North America came under increasing pressure from British forces. Within four years, nearly all of France's possessions in eastern North America would be ceded to Great Britain.

Toronto Star article from Quebec City show.

....Several Quebec sovereignists have questioned McCartney's participation in Quebec City's 400th anniversary celebrations because of his British roots. They claim his presence evokes painful memories of Britain's conquest of New France in 1760.

If there is a 248 year old Quebecer out there someplace, Lloyd Robertson should be interviewing him/her. Here is the rest of it:

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/464043

....Several Quebec sovereignists have questioned McCartney's participation in Quebec City's 400th anniversary celebrations.....

All 3 of them??? Sounds like the other 199,997 people had a real good time! biggrin.gif

Archived