Off Topic - Yea or Nay?

I don't have children in school but the decision will be very interesting.

I've noticed the CBSA and CFIA dogs in use at airports more often recently and it will be interesting to see which way the decision in this case goes. I also notice that the article refers to bomb-sniffing dogs and tries to make a distinction between the two, but I suspect that if the decision is made that use of drug dogs without a warrant is unlawful than so to would the use of a bomb dog...

Yup, it should be an interesting day at the SCC...

"Do we want an environment where schools and children are policed?"

Of course we do! That in part is what the job of the teachers and principal is.

"But police had a longstanding invitation from the principal to come with their dog, he said."

This is legitimate. What can the courts possibly see as unreasonable search and seizure? If the principal had decided to do a locker search, it would be legal. Wouldn't it? The open invite to the police would simply be an extension of that authority. Would it not?

Maybe we as crewmembers should launch a class action to determine if we are being searched unconstitutionally as we go to do our jobs.

Our Canadian society is sinking deeper and deeper into ridiculousness in the courts.

Yes would be the short answer.

Minor's have all kinds of special protections built into the law for them and are smart enough today to use them to their advantage.

Take another example; a bomb / gun sniffing dog is brought into the school for demonstration purposes and accidentally discovers little Billy's hidden guns. Consequently, the plot is discovered and many lives are saved.

The needs of the many outweigh the so called rights of a few!

Guest rattler

Yes, police should have free access to public schools, along with the right to search lockers. Individual rights should not be allowed to place the general school population in peril.

When I went to school people dealt drugs out of their lockers all the time. The smarter ones kept them with 'em, but most left them in their locker. It might feel like its an infringment of your righs but your in a public school and your doing something illegal. The only thing I might not agree with is a lockdown....

Most definately ! !

If these types of "supervision" stop even one kid from using drugs because it is not as easily available, or one kid from having a gun or some other device, then it is entirely worth it imo.

Back in the 50's and 60's it wasn't unusual to have a fire drill (on a nice day) and students were quite happy to spend some time at our designated assembly points - out in the soccer fields away from the school buildings.

Only the most naive of us didn't think this was a convenient time for a locker check, with or without the K-9 detatchment.

Wasn't a problem then and I don't see a problem with it now.

Henry

The needs of the many outweigh the so called rights of a few!

Nice paraphrase from Mr. Spock wink.gif

We should feel that way not only about schools, but in many other areas and aspects as well.

Bring on the cameras, dogs, and whatever else it takes to make society safe!

Iceman

The fact that those who would end up being charged as a result of these searches are protected from having to deal with the full consequences by the Young Offenders act, or whatever it's called now, is the perfect rationale as far as I'm concerned. If they're considered too young to do adult time for an adult crime, they shouldn't be entitled to all adult rights and freedoms, especially while they're in school.

What's next? Should we charge the teachers with illegal confinement for giving out detentions?

Yes please.

The high school my daughter attends has a cop who, along with one other school, makes it his full time job. He has his own office. I was quite glad to hear that given what I'd heard happens in high schools nowadays!

I was quite glad to hear that given what I'd heard happens in high schools nowadays!

Like the Hells Angels recruiting kids to deal the pot they grow in grow ops? I knew a handful of people who did just that.. a few even helped these guys cut the plants once they were ready. But it wasn't just pot they ended up dealing... exstacy, crystal meth, coke, shrooms, acid, and just about every other drug you wanted. I don't know how things are now but they sure were bad when I was in high school!

No. Guns, and knives and really nasty gang violence related stuff that scares the hell out of me.... Drugs shouldn't be in the school [and I'm happy to see cops there to keep that out], but a lot of that other stuff can kill 'em.

Guest rattler

Sadly underscores the need.

Toronto high school locked down after shooting

Updated Wed. May. 23 2007 4:32 PM ET

toronto.ctv.ca

A 14-year-old boy has been shot at a high school in north Toronto, forcing a lockdown as police investigate the incident.

There were no other reported victims and it appears to have been an isolated incident.

"At this stage in the investigation, the only information we have is that the 14-year-old male victim was in critical condition when the police arrived at the school," Const. George Schuurman told CTV Newsnet.

He added that no arrests have been made.

The young victim was reportedly hit once at 2:30 p.m. at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute, at 340 Sentinel Rd., in the Finch Avenue and Keele Street area.

The teen has been taken to Sunnybrook Hospital with serious injuries.

He was shot while on the second floor of the school near a swimming pool, but it's unclear what type of weapon was used, CTV's Jim Junkin reported.

Police are guarding the school, but Sentinel Road has not been closed to traffic.

Anxious and nervous parents are waiting outside the school.

About 850 students attend the school.

More details to come...

sad.gif ...That's what I mean... Drugs you can educate your kids about... teach them to "just say no" or whatever.... but no amount of education can help them avoid a bullet if it's coming their way.

What a sad scene!

What a sad scene!

One reason, IMHO is that there are no substantial consequences for uncivilized actions attributed to many of the youths of today.

Perhaps "Spare the rod - spoil the child" actually meant someting to the older generation.

Archived