Yikes!

Mitch Cronin

Mitch is trying to link an Airliners photo. Their linking system can get a little buggie sometimes, try this one...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1171294/L/

Unfortunately it looks like another DC9 hit the dust. I hope it isn't NWAs plan to let the DC9 retire by way of ramp rash. sad.gif

At the rate those DC9s are getting busted up (one went a month ago at YYZ), I might have to book a quick trip through MSP just to say good bye to the DC9. I have many memories of sitting a DC9 between YEG-YVR. Great airplane for AC.

Guest rattler

Feb 5, 2007 1:28 pm US/Central

Tug Collides With NWA Airplane At MSP

(WCCO) Minneapolis A Northwest Airlines DC-9 aircraft was damaged when it was struck by the tug vehicle pulling it, according to airline authorities.

According to an NWA spokesperson, the tug came loose and slid underneath the plane, sending the nose of the aircraft into the air and damaging it "significantly."

No passengers were on the plane at the time of the accident.

The accident happened at the end of the E concourse.

The tug driver was injured in the collision, but authorities said his injuries were not life-threatening.

Last month another DC9 had a off runway experience.

SUNDAY, Jan. 21, 2007, 1:49 p.m.

By Meg Kissinger

Update: Plane had engine problem

Engine problems led pilots to abort a take-off today of a DC-9 from Mitchell International Airport, an airport official said.

Pat Rowe, communications director for the airport, said she did not know what type of engine problem caused the pilots to abort the take-off. Northwest Airlines spokeswoman Jennifer Bagdade said she could not comment on the cause.

Two buses took 99 passengers and their luggage back to the airport terminal early this afternoon. The airport reopened at 12:07 p.m. after a 35-minute closing caused by the accident, officials said.

There were no serious injuries to the passengers and crew aboard Flight 1726 bound for Detroit, Rowe said.

Northwest Airlines released a statement this afternoon on the incident that said:

"During its take-off roll, the crew of flight 1726, a DC-9 departing from Milwaukee to Detroit with 99 passengers and five crew, opted to discontinue its take off. The aircraft came to a stop off the runway surface.

"Passengers are being deplaned using stairs and are being bused back to the terminal. Passengers will be accommodated on the next available Northwest flight.

"Preliminary reports are that one passenger is complaining of a sore back. This passenger will be examined by medical personnel. No other injuries have been reported.

"Northwest apologizes for the inconvenience the delay of this flight has caused its passengers."

Minneapolis A Northwest Airlines DC-9 aircraft was damaged when it was struck by the tug vehicle pulling it, according to airline authorities.

The Tug is backwards underneath the aircraft isn't it??

Yup, tug door is undr the rt wing root

Looks like the tug came loose and the aircraft "ran" over it and spun it around. Look at all the damage on the Rt hand side of the nose...that probably came from the aircraft hitting the tug and pushing the tug around.

I would think they were probably towing at a good rate of knots rolleyes.gif

Guest rattler
Yup, tug door is undr the rt wing root

Looks like the tug came loose and the aircraft "ran" over it and spun it around. Look at all the damage on the Rt hand side of the nose...that probably came from the aircraft hitting the tug and pushing the tug around.

I would think they were probably towing at a good rate of knots rolleyes.gif

Here is a link re the type of tug used. It is touted as being capable of high speed tows.

http://www.goldhofer.de/english/produkte/a...lepper-ast2.php

AST-2 F/L

The Towbarless Aircraft Tractors  AST-2 have been designed for faster, safer, more flexible and cost-efficient handling of aircraft up to 280 tons MTOW (e.g. A340-300 / B777-300).

The  capabilities of the AST-2 tractor reach from pushback, extended pushback, gate-to-gate movements to high-speed long distance maintenance towings (AST-2 F) and low-speed short distance towings (AST-2 L) .

Everyone knows that Mitch's computer skills are sometimes lacking... biggrin.gif

huh.gif ... dry.gif ... somehow, I'm sure I must have earned that lump... you dog.

wink.gif

Sorry folks, I linked to the photo instead of the page it was on, and I guess that's not allowed for some reason.... The odd thing is, I see the photo still when I look at this thread! icon_question.gif

Thanks for helping me out there better4me...

...very sad photo...

Guest rattler
huh.gif ... dry.gif ... somehow, I'm sure I must have earned that lump... you dog.

wink.gif

Sorry folks, I linked to the photo instead of the page it was on, and I guess that's not allowed for some reason.... The odd thing is, I see the photo still when I look at this thread! icon_question.gif

Thanks for helping me out there better4me...

...very sad photo...

Mitch, I think they are having you on. The photo displays correctly for me as well (in your initial post)

Archived