Need real rivets ?

Kip Powick

I think that is the final state of the repair. If you look at the last photo you can see that all the bolts are painted and that they have accumulated dirt on one side exactly like they would after a few hundred hours of flight.

couple of points;

did a pilot do this? laugh.gif

he surely used the "never use a hammer when the handle of a screwdriver will work" rule.

if he did he didn't use enough bolts (especially the square ones)!

Finally I'm sure it must have been a pilot since he knew that lining up the bolts in straight rows to the slipstream would result in less drag (not much less but less).

I think that is the final state of the repair.  If you look at the last photo you can see that all the bolts are painted and that they have accumulated dirt on one side exactly like they would after a few hundred hours of flight.

Heck.....

And you fellas worry about a little mist on the spoilers ohmy.gif

Iceman tongue.gif

I actually saw a similar repair on an AC 747-200 years back on the Trailing edge flap. The "Boiler Plate" repair was good until "C" check.

Ailerons on the 320 are not "balanced" as they are powered flight controls and the flutter is damped by the PCU.

Still....Pretty Ugly and I hope Temporary.

B

Boestar... a couple of points... The "boiler plate" repair you saw was very likely done properly, as per detailed instructions and probably with either large rivets, or hiloks... not with stove bolts and old used chinese wagon bumper bolts... dry.gif

and... look again, that repair's not on the aileron. smile.gif

...it doesn't close the trailing edge to moisture and it's doubtful it's done to any specification other than the fella who drilled the holes... If you ever see anything like that flying on our fleet, you make some noise, ...that shore ain't right! wink.gif

The other thing about the wing is that the bolts look like they aren't on the aileron, just the outboard section of the trailing edge of the wing. It's gotta be a Boeing though, doesn't it? Or maybe some wierdo Chinese thingy. Asian and Russian plane builders make some funny looking stuff sometimes. In fact, I'll bet these photos were taken outside the finishing department at the factory. Further in fact, I'll bet the guy up there working on it got paid a double bowl of rice for all his work that day. That must have taken a long time to do. I don't think they have any air tools over there do they? I'd think his arms are pretty tired and sore tightening all those fasteners.

If it was an Airbus though, those bolts better be made out of plastic, kinda like the rest of the plane. ;-) tongue.gif

Actually looking at the wing position light on the trailing edge in the first photo it almost looks like an L-1011 wing tip.

Mitch:

The 747 repair I saw was made with 5/16 bolts and fibrelok nuts. right through the flap. Was a nasty looking repair for sure but it was approved. Not a rivet or Hi-Lok in sight. I can recall it being there for quite some time too, several a-checks anyway.

You are correct the repair is not on the aileron but the outboard fixed trailing edge.

B

Looking at the line of access panels just aft of the leading edge, just fwd of the front spar, and the chopped trailing edge.... I'm thinkin' it's gotta be an airbus....

- no winglet... A300 of some variety... I don't remember which ones have a Naca scoop for the tank vents...

I was curious about this one too, so I spent some time tracking it down. The wingtip belongs to an A310-200 model without winglets. It's obviously not an A320 as it has neither winglets nor an aileron. Likewise A300's are out as the -B2s and -B4's have ailerons and the -600s have an end plate.

In fact, if Kip's source who says that the aircraft is in China is correct, then you can actually narrow this down to one of only two airplanes, the only two wingletless A310-200s in China. It's either B-2301 or B-2302 both of which are currently operated by China Eastern Airlines. I'd say that it's highly likely that the aircraft in the pictures is one of these two. Once you eliminate the operators who simply wouldn't do this sort of repair work like Fedex and the Belgian Air Force, and then eliminate the carriers whose paint is significantly different, you're down to only a handful of possible aircraft worldwide.

The internet is a miraculous thing and with a little effort I was able to track down these pictures of B-2302. Have a look at the wing details. It's a match right down to having a label on the fuel tank inspection hatch beside the wing strake ... with one big difference ... both of the China Eastern airplanes have registration marks that should be clearly visible in Kip's first photo.

The answer to this lies in the fact that China Eastern leased the airplanes for many years to another Chinese operator, China Northwest, which China Eastern eventually bought out a couple years back. So, Kip's pic probably dates back a few years to when the aircraft were in China Northwest livery and the registration marks were painted slightly more inboard.

And, the reason why I'd care enough to look all this up? Because among the people who have flown these airplanes are a number of ex-Wardair pilots who are mutual acquaintances of Kip, myself and probably Mitch as well.

The world truly is getting to be too small. Next time I see one of those guys I'll have to ask how well they did their walkarounds when the were in China

Pete

A310-200 Wingtip:

post-5-1130925632_thumb.jpg

Excellent sleuthing, Pete. I was curious as well, and had it isolated to A-300/310 but the lack of aelerons had me snookered.

.... And, the reason why I'd care enough to look all this up? Because among the people who have flown these airplanes are a number of ex-Wardair pilots who are mutual acquaintances of Kip, myself and probably Mitch as well ....

.... and probably several others on this board - small world and shrinking every day cool26.gif

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

Wow...great work there "Sherlock".

Yeh, the Net is a great place for info ...the only problem is that when one digs up an enormous amount of hidden data, one begins to wonder what one does with any OTHER free time one has biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Too many "ones" icon_question.gificon_question.gif

Nicely done Pete !

Archived