Jetsgo to launch 42 new city pairs

CanadaEH

Read in the Vancouver Sun that Jetsgo is going to launch year-round service to YEG from YXX and YYJ, as well as YVR-YXS. The article also mentioned that those routes are part of Jetsgo's 42 new city pairs that it will be adding. I have not found a press release from Jetsgo, however. Could this be the announcement that is to be coming out this week?

This is an interesting development (as are all official announcements of new services!). Of course, the announcement strives to make it seem to be much more than it is. I count about 64-65 new flights per week, each of an hour or so duration. I would think that could be handled nicely by two new aircraft. The significance, I think, lies in what it suggests for the future.

1. I am still not certain of what Jetsgo's business model is, exactly. From their actions I speculate it is purely opportunistic. They move services to wherever the market seems to have some strength, relying on low operating costs to offset the yield penalty they incur by being number two (or three!) in a market.

2. In the western domestic market, they are going after Westjet's business mostly. (Air Canada is no longer the main player). There may be a bit of connecting traffic to be gained travelling east. They may also create new traffic through low fares and new routes, but since the Abbotsford-Edmonton route is the only relatively undeveloped route, I cannot se 'market development' as a major motivation.

3. The relative emphasis on Edmonton this time around may or may not be significant. Superficially I would attribute it to pure opportunism. Air Canada and even Westjet have reduced frequencies at Edmonton over the last two years, while the airport's traffic numbers are at record levels. To Mr. Leblanc this might look like there is more opportunity there than elsewhere. Of course, Westjet may respond.

4. We will have to wait to see if Jetsgo's western expansion continues. They are at the stage now where I feel they must be profitable to continue to expand, and we do not have access to their financial statements. The west has been friendlier to new airlines than has the east. We shall have to wait to see if that works out for Jetsgo.

Just my analysis.

Good thoughts, proview.

I see oppotunity as well.

YEGYXX - no service or competition. However, Westjet did operate this route at one point and dropped it because of lack of demand. Can Jetsgo pull it off?

YEGYYJ - Westjet operates 2x daily service, not sure about Air Canada.

YVRYXS - Westjet operates 3x daily service, Jazz operates 5x daily Dash8 service. Both Jazz/AC and WJ offer better connections, I wonder how Jetsgo plans to lure customers away from the two?

YYC-YMM - Air Canada is starting direct service, and WJ offers 2x daily one-stop service plus cargo contracts. Can Jetsgo fill an MD80?

YYC-YMM - Air Canada is starting direct service, and WJ offers 2x daily one-stop service plus cargo contracts. Can Jetsgo fill an MD80?

I think YYC-YMM WILL take trafic from WJA. The fact we stop in YEG is a turn off for our YYC folks. We can easily do direct as well.. but then it doesn't utilize the aircraft as well to contiue the YEG-YMM direct. JetsGo is beefing up YEG, and as proview states, traffic is up there. WestJet will only upset people by reducing service. Around we go and hats off to ML, that part of the plans looks well thought. I don't see them doing well in YXS and and I see YYJ being a coin toss.

Someone better tell M.L. to bring a truckload of de-ice fluid (including type IV) to YXS if he wants to start service in January. I'm also curious where he'll find experienced airline people in YXS to work for him (maybe laid off Jazz people)? Whatever, this will all start adding more cost to his operation - in January.

What constantly amazes me is that an airline can grow to 30 aircraft in such a short time and not have issues related to growth. WJ took 7 years to get to that level and look at the problems we're having. I've talked to a Jetsgo dispatcher and they are working 60-70 hrs a week and many are burning out. Just keep in mind that YMM, YXS, and perhaps YLW.....these are all challenging airports with X-wind, JBI issues, Non-precision approaches, and mountainous terrain. From what I'm hearing the experience level, especially on the F-100's is pretty low. Be careful out there boys and girls...January isn't a great time to start flying into these airports. An incident won't help any of us.

What constantly amazes me is that an airline can grow to 30 aircraft in such a short time and not have issues related to growth. WJ took 7 years to get to that level and look at the problems we're having. I've talked to a Jetsgo dispatcher and they are working 60-70 hrs a week and many are burning out. Just keep in mind that YMM, YXS, and perhaps YLW.....these are all challenging airports with X-wind, JBI issues, Non-precision approaches, and mountainous terrain. From what I'm hearing the experience level, especially on the F-100's is pretty low. Be careful out there boys and girls...January isn't a great time to start flying into these airports. An incident won't help any of us.

Alot were saying the same things about WJ way back when as well.

Not much of a big deal with YMM and YXS, cannot be any different than places out east. Maybe WJ will lend SG the allmight RNP approaches into YLW and YXX.

Guest rattler

Hmmmm seems to me that they might be used to tough operations based on their Eastern Experience, except of course for the Mountains.....

hmm, i wonder what the average length of runway is that they're used to operating out of...

Also, maybe someone with better Royal experience can post, but I've been told numerous times over the years how ML's strategy was to become a major pain in the butt and then sell off the airline... could it be he's trying that now?

Yes, it will be interesting to see if ML can pull it off.

Proview--JGO has never 'moved' services only added new routes. ML has built some routes and added fequency incrementally. Regardless of what people think of him he has survived anf continues to grow. Whether his plan will work or not will be bourne out in the future but he does have a plan and he has stuck to it.

Jumpy--certainly some growing pains. As for inexperience on the F100, as of a few months ago when I saw the stack of interview not one had less than 9000 hours--Cathay, Royal, Air Canada/Canadian and a bunch from overseas.

CC--ML is in his 60's so my guess is he does plan to go public and 'cash out' at some point--when is the question!

Having flown out East, I would agree that it's challenging, but YMM and YXS have their own unique challenges.....namely short strips, crappy weather, and poor approach aids.

As for inexperience on the F100, as of a few months ago when I saw the stack of interview not one had less than 9000 hours--Cathay, Royal, Air Canada/Canadian and a bunch from overseas.

It's one thing to put in a resume while your company is in CCAA, it's quite another to actually leave the company to go to JetsGo. So trader, how many people from AC or for that matter Cathay have come over to JetsGo? I would bet not many. All I'm hearing are Metro, PC-12 and B-1900 guys going over. Do you also realize that there are many days when you only have one certified dispatcher working? Do you really think they have time to look closely at each and every flight plan created by the trainee dispatcher? You cannot expect to grow this fast without problems.

Archived