Airline Offers Gays, Lesbians Travel Discounts

wjafa

PHOENIX, Calif. -- It pays to be gay when flying America West Airlines.

With a few points and clicks on the airline's Web site, gay and lesbian travelers can find some perks -- including 10 percent discounts.

For the 10 percent airfare discount to a gay pride event anywhere in the United States, travelers have to log on to the airline's Web site.

The airline offers the reduced-price fares using an honor system. There's not a check in place with which the airline can confirm a traveler's sexual orientation, of course.

National statistics suggest that the gay and lesbian community spent $581 million last year to travel.

Some industry experts said many gay travelers, who may not have children and can be more flexible in travel plans, are a valuable economic community to attract.

"It's a marketing niche-driven decision. It's no different than targeting seniors or other groups that have a lot of time to travel, high disposable income and tend to travel more," said Michael Mcfall of the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

In the past, gays and lesbians booked most of their flights on so-called gay-friendly airlines, including American. America West hopes to change that with its new promotion, but some travelers said the special offers aren't fair.

"I just feel, if you do it for one, you do it for all. I doubt that will ever happen," traveler Meredith Jaramillo said.

But that's not true, according to America West.

"Any group that has research that shows they have a high disposable income, frequent travelers and tend not to choose America West, we would be very interested in that data," said Elise Eberwein of America West Airlines.

America West Airlines Web site

I have little doubt that I'll regret asking this question, but I'm going to anyway....

What, I wonder, would be the reaction to a discount offered to heterosexuals? unsure.gif

When will people learn that in order to stop the "us and them" nonsense, it's necessary to stop the "them and us" too?

I have little doubt that I'll regret asking this question, but I'm going to anyway....

What, I wonder, would be the reaction to a discount offered to heterosexuals? unsure.gif

When will people learn that in order to stop the "us and them" nonsense, it's necessary to stop the "them and us" too?

Mitch, I know you will regret this -- MANWEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - but think about it this way. There are group, convention, age group and special interest rates for just about any conceivable slice of the population. You got an event? You can get a discount rate. Listen, the next time the Cronin clan has a big reunion, ask AC for a convention rate.

I dunno Dagger... there are some distinctions that are a bit too sensitive to be casually offering discounts.

How about a discount for blacks during black history week for example?

I'd like to see us celebrating our kinship rather than our differences.

I dunno Dagger... there are some distinctions that are a bit too sensitive to be casually offering discounts.

How about a discount for blacks during black history week for example?

I'd like to see us celebrating our kinship rather than our differences.

Actually, why not a deal for Caribana... ?

Most using it will be African Americans or black Canadians. So what?

The "so what" is that you could never do that for "whites"... Nor should you. So, in my mind, it should never be done for "blacks".

Anything that serves to highlight the more sensitive differences among us... the kind of differences that people have been stupid enough to fight over... hate over... even kill over, in some cases... if you can't offer a discount to the one "side" without fueling a fire, why should you assume that any benefit offered to the "other side" won't also fuel a fire?

JO... laugh.gif No thanks. I'll wait 'til they offer a discount to white, bearded heterosexuals... mind you, if they ever do, we're either in really big trouble, or we'd be such enlightened beings that airplanes won't be needed. biggrin.gif

JO... laugh.gif No thanks. I'll wait 'til they offer a discount to white, bearded heterosexuals... mind you, if they ever do, we're either in really big trouble, or we'd be such enlightened beings that airplanes won't be needed. biggrin.gif

Don't the "White, Bearded Heterosexuals" have their own transportation?????

Called "Greyhound Buslines" laugh.giflaugh.gif

Guest rattler

I am waiting for discounts for Scots on Robbie Burns day or perhaps just free drinks during the flight that day ...... Scotch of course....

I remember hearing on the news a few years ago that "Ford Motor Company" had decided that the Gay community was a very large, well educated, high disposible income, un-tapped market.

So they decided they were going to market the "Jaguar" to the Gays. Never heard much more about it, although I had a good laugh with a buddy that owns a Ford Dealership.

I've never looked at the Jag the same since.

As a male F/A told me years ago:

You "Breeders" are so sensitive!

Archived