Former COO of AC on Industry Fees

FA@AC

Aren't the conservatives under Mulroney the ones who made them non profits which in turn actually introduced the AIFs?

Edited by Specs

2 hours ago, deicer said:

Better take cover under your desk 😉

Good one!  I've got no respect for idiotic government decisions - no matter where they come from.  As I've mentioned in the past - I've voted for Liberals as often as Conservatives.  I was a big fan of Cretien and Martin so I'm not welded to the Conservative Party.  

2 hours ago, Specs said:

Aren't the conservatives under Mulroney the ones who made them non profits which in turn actually introduced the AIFs?

Back in the day, the Airports wanted AIF to be able to generate new funds, they held the airlines up and forced them to agree to the AIFs and their collection by the airlines.  The airlines initially refused the idea but the airports , said no worries if you will not accept the idea and do the collection and we will simply increase the fees you already pay us but of course this will mean you will need to increase your ticket fees with no ability to break out where the extra cost was coming from ( the passengers would assume it was the airlines imposing the extras costs when in reality was the airports).  I know this for certain because  I was involved in the negotiations. 

Re privititation of the airports, this was done in 

When were Canadian airports privatized?

The government further reformed airport governance with the introduction of the National Airports Policy in 1994. 6 Under this policy, small and regional airports were sold to their communities, usually for a nominal amount.

The governing party at the time was

35th Parliament of Canada
17 January 1994 – 27 April 1997
Parliament leaders
Prime Minister Rt. Hon. Jean Chrétien November 4, 1993 – December 12, 2003
Cabinet 26th Canadian Ministry

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was in YVR the day they went into effect there.  it was $10 and you paid before security.

You're being disingenuous Malcolm.   The process was started  well before Chretien came to power.  It was Mulroney's Pet project.     

Minority Report

"What comes through to all sorts of people critical of our government is some sort of a quick pay off to friends who want to develop airports and it doesn't taste well and it doesn't sound well and it leaves all sorts of suspicions and it doesn't add up or balance."

- Don Blenkarn, Conservative Member of Parliament for Mississauga South, writing to Transport Minister Jean Corbeil, March 13, 1992

"The hard facts of the case must therefore be that [the Right Honourable Kim Campbell] chose to authorize the signing of the Pearson Airport agreements at a time when she knew that she would not be able to take responsibility for the consequences of that decision. And that looks very close to me like the work of a government which has already lost the moral authority to govern. To say that her decision was a constitutionally inappropriate exercise of power is, in my view, to put it mildly, but in the context of our customs and those of other parliamentary systems it, in my view, is also enough to justify whatever steps have to be taken to terminate the agreement."

- Professor John Wilson, professor of political science at the University of Waterloo, testifying before the Special Senate Committee on the Pearson Airport Agreements, September 25, 1995.