We [might] Interrupt Reality to Bring You This Distraction:

OK... I need answers...

I'm interested in discovering whether it's just that she's pretty and I've fallen for that magic, or is this as awesome as I think it is?

I know there are a lot of Floyd fans here... Please have a listen and let me know what you think?:

https://youtu.be/lHYbrc2D40I

Mitch,

I have every record/CD that Pink F made and she is good and really throws it out thee  but the piano alone is no match for the acoustical mix that Pink F has..... The Wall is probably the best album PF made

Yes she is pretty  and here is another pretty lady.... Her playing starts my day off with uplifted spirit.

Hey Mitch, here's another cover of a PF tune that you may enjoy. He doesn't have some of the piano players attributes, but he sure can play (and he's only 17 yrs old!) Check out his YouTube channel - he's got a bunch of great stuff.

All that counts is that you like it Mitch. You don't need the internet's help to verify if what moves you is "good" or "bad". That's the great part about art. If it works for you...it is awesome! I continually use this explanation for why I am a Rush fan.

4 hours ago, J.O. said:

Hey Mitch, here's another cover of a PF tune that you may enjoy. He doesn't have some of the piano players attributes, but he sure can play (and he's only 17 yrs old!) Check out his YouTube channel - he's got a bunch of great stuff.

He's brilliant, J.O., Mitch, yours is good too, but instrumentals won't quite capture the full breadth of 'Floyd's collective genius .... unless they can cover this :Grin-Nod::P -

Cheers - IFG :b:

22 minutes ago, IFG said:

He's brilliant, J.O., Mitch, yours is good too, but instrumentals won't quite capture the full breadth of 'Floyd's collective genius .... unless they can cover this :Grin-Nod::P -

Hmmmmm   IMO..good mixing but certainly not music...?

On 3/23/2021 at 7:38 PM, JL said:

All that counts is that you like it Mitch. You don't need the internet's help to verify if what moves you is "good" or "bad". That's the great part about art. If it works for you...it is awesome! I continually use this explanation for why I am a Rush fan.

Right on the money JL.  ...But the thing I wanted to discover was whether my ear had been influenced by my eyes... I can certainly forgive myself for that, given the pleasure of seeing such a beauty, but I'm inclined to think in this case my ears alone would have made me a fan of hers. 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, IFG said:

Dangit, I always thought that was an instrumental. ;)

On 3/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, J.O. said:

Yessir! I've been listening to Kent Nishimura for a little while now. He can make a guitar neck seem malleable... or like he's got 8 fingers on each hand!

But in his case, I know it's my ears. :) 

Cheers all...

I think most of the longtime AEFers know that I am infected with a love of "good" music and...... humour, that crosses the spectrum....

The other weekend I suffered through the Grammies  where, in my opinion, each singer on the show had background singers and dancers  who appeared to be  in a competition to see who could get through their song with the least amount of clothes on.

Needless to say, the entire show was not enjoyable and it brought back memories of actual live shows I have attended and the music that had core values...  One of the groups I had the pleasure of seeing in person follows and even though their '70s outfits are now rather awkward, the means of projecting their music was so very memorable... I did notice they have also had  over 136 million views so I assume there are many that fall into the 'like'  category of this music......enjoy..

13 hours ago, Mitch Cronin said:

.... Dangit, I always thought that was an instrumental. ;) ....

A Cappella? .... :whistling::P

I hate to be the first (only?) contrarian but I'm not a fan of either the piano cover or the acoustic ones.

I've thought about this since Mitch posted the link - why don't I like it and can I successfully explain it without looking like a uni-brow cretin.

Clearly all three are highly accomplished musicians but to me the piano version sounds aggressive, almost angry - it's lost the haunting melodic quality and juxtapostion with "comfortably numb" in exchange for a pounding piano.   She's playing the same notes as the original (mostly) but the entire theme and point of the piece is lost.  Pink is numb therefore the music is melodic and flowing  - somehow crashing piano chords does not seem to convey that.

The second acoustic guitar arrangement has extra fills, strums, florishes and odd chord changes that are not in the original - a stylistic choice.  Quiet, slow parts from the original are filled - I don't think it's an improvement.

The first acoustic (Time) is the most palatable to me but I'd still rather the original.

Sorry, I applaud their skill but didn't enjoy the performance.  Probably from 50-some years of listening to the originals - it's as if someone makes your favourite recipe but decides to use tarragon instead of basil - it might be alright but it's not your favourite.

I can see why some would like it as an accomplished variation on a classic piece of music and wouldn't denigrate anyone for liking it.

(this should not in any way taken taken a discouragement to post more)

Respectfully, it’s a tough stretch to suggest that Dark Side wasn’t the peak of their creativity and collaboration as a group. It’s truly the best example of what they could do when they were all fully committed to the result. The Wall was mostly Waters’ anti-war project.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:11 PM, seeker said:

Probably, but Animals is close.

Nah. I'd have to agree with J.O. on that. I think both Dark Side and Wish You Were Here are better than Animals.

...and here we come to the point we all recognize it's a good thing we all have different preferences, otherwise all men would want the same lady. ;)

In your previous post, Seeker, you nailed it with the favourite recipe analogy. I get it, and I agree, really. I'll always prefer hearing Gilmour's classic guitar work, but for a change, I thought I'd listen to the pretty piano lady and was quite surprised to hear how well she pulled it off.

Cheers all,

M  

On 3/25/2021 at 10:10 PM, FireFox said:

Gabriella Quevedo's beautiful arrangement of PF's Another Brick in The Wall...

I've been lost listening to several from her.... Yessir, she's good. 

19 hours ago, Mitch Cronin said:

Nah. I'd have to agree with J.O. on that. I think both Dark Side and Wish You Were Here are better than Animals.

Knowing full well that it's a fool's errand to try to convince someone that their choice of music isn't the best I'll put this forward - Dark Side was an amazing accomplishment and, obviously, a creative highpoint for the group but to me it comes across as more of a soundtrack than a masterpiece in it's own right.  It's the perfect music to be playing in the background on a sci-fi movie.  Animals is the movie.  Dark Side is what the synth salesman plays to show off the capabilities of the instrument.  Animals is what a songwriter/musician plays to take you somewhere and tell you a story.

I like them both but to me Dark Side is the cool sound effects of clocks, cash registers and synths while Animals is commentary on the human condition.  Dark Side is what you play when you want to show off your new stereo to your buddies, Animals is what you listen to for your own enjoyment.

Simply my opinion - not to say it's right and that your's is wrong.

Interesting topic - I listened to all 3 albums before writing this reply so it's valuable simply for that reason.

PS - Wish You Were Here - also excellent.

edit to add - This may be sacreligious but in my mind I put Dark Side in the same box as Kraftwerk Autobahn and Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells  - amazing experimental synth accomplishments but without the same emotional depth as other more traditional compositions.

Lol, you were doing great, then you had to go and toss in a comparison with that robotic creation by Kraftwerk. I’ll forgive you, but only because it’s a Tuesday and my back is irritating me far more than this is. ;)

The best thing about Darkside was that it's profits were used to fund the Monty Python and the Holy Grail production....."who is it that is so wise in the ways of science?"

Archived