Rewards / thanks being offered to healthcare workers and others

Flair Airlines is offering 1,000 flights to Canadian Nurses

From Flair Airlines

Inspired by the continued selflessness demonstrated by healthcare professionals in Canada and globally, Flair Airlines is offering 1000 flights to Canadian nurses in celebration of National Nursing Week, and as an expression of immeasurable gratitude in the face of COVID-19.

“Our communities are filled with heroes,” said Jim Scott, Flair CEO. “The incredible efforts demonstrated by our nurses is empowering and the words “thank you” do not seem to hold the same value as they did before. We hope that by providing these flights nurses will be able to further enjoy some much needed time off! We continue to express our thanks to them.”

Nurses will have until May 15, 2020 to register by email, including proof of employment, to health.heroes@flyflair.com. Promotional codes allocated will allow for a 100% discount on the base fare of the tickets. Taxes and fees are not included. Tickets must be booked by July 15, 2020 and flights completed by July 31, 2020. Travel may be completed with a companion.

“Respect, Integrity, Reliability and Resiliency are the values we hold ourselves to at Flair,” continues Scott. “We believe that each health care professional demonstrates these as well, and we are proud to bring this opportunity to our nurses during National Nursing Week.”

Share this:

Maybe I'm in a sour mood.. Nurses deserve credit, 100%. But so too do the doctors and janitors at hospitals; firefighters, police officers, and paramedics attending emergencies; customer service agents at grocery stores, liquor stores, gas stations; flight crews; and anyone else who has to be "exposed" to the general public. These aren't heroes these are people doing their jobs because they have to while some people don't. 

Nurses deserve a lot of credit I just don't want to diminish the contributions of a lot of other people in society right now. 

12 minutes ago, CanadaEH said:

Maybe I'm in a sour mood.. Nurses deserve credit, 100%. But so too do the doctors and janitors at hospitals; firefighters, police officers, and paramedics attending emergencies; customer service agents at grocery stores, liquor stores, gas stations; flight crews; and anyone else who has to be "exposed" to the general public. These aren't heroes these are people doing their jobs because they have to while some people don't. 

Nurses deserve a lot of credit I just don't want to diminish the contributions of a lot of other people in society right now. 

I am not in a sour mood:

+1

I wonder how these folks who are now recognized as essential to our survival will be treated when this mess is all over, especially the ones who only get part time hours at minimum wage, no benefits and little prospect for advancement.

13 hours ago, CanadaEH said:

CE, we haven't always seen eye to eye !! LOL

But you nailed it. 

I don't think I am in a sour mood either, but have been wondering about all this feel good BS for a while now.

It seems to me, that the corporate world is trying to out best each other with this nonsense in order to tug at heart strings and claim this is a very "Canadian" thing to do.

Most working people in these and any professions for that matter are embarrassed by it all, they are doing their jobs, and do them very well no matter what is going on in the world.

I have always considered my thanks for a job well done was on the first and seventeenth of the month, nothing else required.

Good Post.

and the rush is on:

Sunwing celebrates frontline heroes by giving away 100 vacations

From Sunwing Vacations Inc

sunwing.png?w=366

TORONTO, May 14, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Sunwing is giving back to frontline workers across the country by giving away 100 all inclusive vacations to Royalton Luxury Resorts.

Sunwing’s Hero Vacations initiative calls on Canadians to nominate deserving frontline heroes who have helped their family or community fight the pandemic. Eligible nominees can be health care workers, emergency service providers or anyone who has helped keep Canada safe during this difficult time.

“As a Canadian family-owned business, we are tremendously grateful for everything our frontline workers are doing to keep Canadian families safe. We want to do our part to thank these frontline heroes who step up each and every day, putting their lives at risk, to save lives and ensure we have our essentials,” said Stephen Hunter, President and CEO of Sunwing. “With Sunwing’s Hero Vacations, we hope to highlight amazing stories of everyday Canadians courage and care and thank those workers by making their vacation dreams come true, giving them a week of much-deserved rest, relaxation and luxury.”

There are two ways to enter:

1. Nominate a deserving frontline hero using this form, OR;
  2. Share a photo of a deserving frontline hero on Instagram using the #SunwingCelebratesHeroes hashtag and tagging @sunwingvacations in the caption with a brief description of why they deserve a vacation (must be posted from a public profile or the post will not be entered).

Nominations are open on May 14th and close on June 30th. Full terms and conditions can be found here.

Prior to today’s announcement, Sunwing has contributed to Canada’s pandemic response efforts by bringing home over 60,000 Canadians, including 3,300 non-Sunwing customers, free of charge from various destinations, and donating over 46,000 meals to food programs across Canada as part of a national partnership with Second Harvest.

Share this:

The Doctors and Nurses in BC have never had less to do. Hospitals normally run 100-120% occupancy are now 50%. On Vancouver Island there are 5 Covid patients in hospital none in ICU.

Get spooling up elective surgeries now!!!

Early post-lockdown lessons in gaslighting. Can't wait for the likes of Coca Cola and Canadian Tire to drum out their Xmas-like feel good campaigns, all designed to get their hands on our money.

JMO

I’m sorry but I just don’t accept the premise that your  janitors, gas jockeys, etc. should receive the accolades, (rewards), the “front-line” personnel do. Yes, they were all at their jobs  and they took the risk of infection as did anyone involved with  the disease, but the latter also had the option of calling in “sick” and foregoing their jobs for the duration. I believe you are comparing apples to oranges when you lump anyone who works during the pandemic to the Doctors and Nurses, when their decisions, concerning a patient, are responsible for the final outcome.

I don’t know how many of you have had to face the prospect that, because of a health issue, you may be dead within a few  hours, 6 months, or maybe even  a year. Both myself and Scuba 02 did, and I can tell you that in both cases the Doctors and Nurses were there for us and understood our fear of the unknown and the possible outcome. For those hours/days they were our life raft in a sea of despair, and when we were “ rescued” ……well we have not forgotten them…ever.

To shorten this……. Why don’t you sit back and think about the job these two professions have  had for these many months, not just the administration of the medical procedures but the fact that these individuals had to face the patient with the cold hard facts of a pending  death and then, face to face, advise the NOK that they could not save the person that the family  loved so dearly. How many times can anyone do that and maintain their own faith in their professional ability ?? Yet they soldiered on, day after day, knowing that death was just around the corner, almost everyday…….how stressful would that be ??

Do you really think all the “other” non front-line  workers underwent that form of stress ??

So sometime, hopefully a long time in  in the future, you may be laying in a hospital bed, or perhaps a gurney, wondering if you are going to live of die and a face will appear  above  you and introduce themselves as your surgeon and I am willing to bet that you will hang on every word he/she says, silently praying that he/she and their team, will work their magic and  let you see another day…and if they succeed, you will be eternally thankful  and never forget them.

If Companies want to give Doctors and Nurses free "anything" why would you be against such a gesture? JMO

You guys are forgetting about airline executives too.  That sounds like a joke but it isn't.  Aside from maybe cruise lines I can't think of any industry that has a larger logistical problem to solve.  Hilton Hotels has a bunch of empty buildings and they have to figure out some financing issues but the airline guys would have that handled before getting out of bed in the morning - in comparison to what's on their plate.

As a general conclusion I'd say that the medical field is under appreciated, especially paramedics, but I think that this feeling that it's chaos in the hospitals with Covid comes from watching too much CNN.  Now, if you wanted to start handing out freebies to people I'd say start with personal care workers - the lowest rung, worst paid, least supported positions in the field.

6 minutes ago, seeker said:

As a general conclusion I'd say that the medical field is under appreciated, especially paramedics, but I think that this feeling that it's chaos in the hospitals comes from watching too much CNN.  Now, if you wanted to start handing out freebies to people I'd say start with personal care workers - the lowest rung, worst paid, least supported positions in the field.

Spent 3 years (twice a week) as a volunteer in a hospital emergency department.  No chaos, just very organized. The most annoying part were the people who came in with minor ailments (tooth aches, etc) who could not understand why others (life and limb threatening injuries) were treated ahead of them.  

1 minute ago, Marshall said:

Spent 3 years (twice a week) as a volunteer in a hospital emergency department. 

Good on you.  ?   Volunteers, that's another group that's under appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

JMO

I’m sorry but I just don’t accept the premise that your  janitors, gas jockeys, etc. should receive the accolades, (rewards), the “front-line” personnel do. Yes, they were all at their jobs  and they took the risk of infection as did anyone involved with  the disease, but the latter also had the option of calling in “sick” and foregoing their jobs for the duration. I believe you are comparing apples to oranges when you lump anyone who works during the pandemic to the Doctors and Nurses, when their decisions, concerning a patient, are responsible for the final outcome.

I don’t know how many of you have had to face the prospect that, because of a health issue, you may be dead within a few  hours, 6 months, or maybe even  a year. Both myself and Scuba 02 did, and I can tell you that in both cases the Doctors and Nurses were there for us and understood our fear of the unknown and the possible outcome. For those hours/days they were our life raft in a sea of despair, and when we were “ rescued” ……well we have not forgotten them…ever.

To shorten this……. Why don’t you sit back and think about the job these two professions have  had for these many months, not just the administration of the medical procedures but the fact that these individuals had to face the patient with the cold hard facts of a pending  death and then, face to face, advise the NOK that they could not save the person that the family  loved so dearly. How many times can anyone do that and maintain their own faith in their professional ability ?? Yet they soldiered on, day after day, knowing that death was just around the corner, almost everyday…….how stressful would that be ??

Do you really think all the “other” non front-line  workers underwent that form of stress ??

So sometime, hopefully a long time in  in the future, you may be laying in a hospital bed, or perhaps a gurney, wondering if you are going to live of die and a face will appear  above  you and introduce themselves as your surgeon and I am willing to bet that you will hang on every word he/she says, silently praying that he/she and their team, will work their magic and  let you see another day…and if they succeed, you will be eternally thankful  and never forget them.

If Companies want to give Doctors and Nurses free "anything" why would you be against such a gesture? JMO

Hi Kip, I did not suggest doctors or nurses should be minimized nor did I suggest they shouldn't receive "free anything". I am simply pointing out that many other people deserve credit for the situation they find themselves in via their employment. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, CanadaEH said:

Hi Kip, I did not suggest doctors or nurses should be minimized nor did I suggest they shouldn't receive "free anything". I am simply pointing out that many other people deserve credit for the situation they find themselves in via their employment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nor was I picking your post out as an indicator of not giving credit where credit is due, (ref janitors/gas jockeys), however there followed a tone in some of the following  comments that there was no real reason to entertain the thought that  "Front Line" individuals  should be afforded anything other than written/spoken  recognition.

Truly, I can not think of any other professions  that are living, daily,  that close to the misery inflicted upon those that have contacted the virus. 

That "blue collar" workers are appreciated, there is absolutely no doubt, however, there is a distinct difference between their roles/responsibilities  and those of the Front Line" professionals.

Put quite simply, with respect to acquiring  a bad case of  Covid 19 ,  no matter what job/profession one has..............., without the Front Line professionals.... your odds of survival are very slim.

My point is that there is nothing discriminatory about offering  these two professions, Doctors and Nurses, a perq, considering what they do, and what they have to endure. 

Archived