Lockdown Distractions

deicer

thanks, in the early 60's Langley High School had windows (evidently they don't now) and if we were lucky we got to watch the 'Skyway Avengers takeoff and land on the airfield across the road from our school. Needless to say this did not impress our teachers. 

On 6/9/2020 at 10:15 AM, J.O. said:

I suspect the boys in the hangar would prefer they taxi to the end and turn around instead.

That particular runway: Been There, Done That! They are AT the end!  If I recall, that island strip is about 5,600' long and not very wide. It's not difficult to back up the 757 using reverse but nearly impossible (and definitely not approved) on the 767.

4 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

That particular runway: Been There, Done That! They are AT the end!  If I recall, that island strip is about 5,600' long and not very wide. It's not difficult to back up the 757 using reverse but nearly impossible (and definitely not approved) on the 767.

They're not at the end, where there is a teardrop for turnarounds (by the green star in the image). I know this because after the backup maneuver, they taxi straight ahead to the ramp. They landed on RWY 01 and they're at the second turnoff for the terminal (the red star in the image). The runway length is about 5300 ft, meaning it is a pretty impressive stopping distance. I landed on that runway once in a 320 and touched down at the first piano keys. With medium autobrake, we were not able to make that turnoff.

Skiathos.jpg

Edited by J.O.

17 hours ago, J.O. said:

They're not at the end, where there is a teardrop for turnarounds (by the green star in the image). I know this because after the backup maneuver, they taxi straight ahead to the ramp. They landed on RWY 01 and they're at the second turnoff for the terminal (the red star in the image). The runway length is about 5300 ft, meaning it is a pretty impressive stopping distance. I landed on that runway once in a 320 and touched down at the first piano keys. With medium autobrake, we were not able to make that turnoff.

Skiathos.jpg

I guess my memory fails me...again. I do recall the bigger issue we had was not landing distance but takeoff distance required for our weight (757). Still, good memories for the most part!

On 6/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, J.O. said:

I’m going to assume that spin wasn’t in the plan! 

you would be amazed what happens on test flights.  Especially test flights designed to test the flight envelope of the aircraft.  For example.  I know a certain business jet will lose its aft lavatory service panel when the aircraft exceeds Mach 1.02.

Crazy compilation - jumps from military to civilian, from good to bad, old and new.  Mixed in there is some really unique clips - worth watching.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...