FAA licence conversion

Rich Pulman

Does anyone have first-hand information on how to get a Canadian ATPL (with type ratings) converted to an FAA equivalent?

Any written exams? If so, what study material is recommended?

Any medical examination? If so, do any Doctors in the GTA have authority to complete the examination?

Any advice/recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks.

There is lots out there on other industry web boards but suffice to say that this conversion which used to be fairly simple and straightforward is now time consuming and expensive.

Suggest that you contact your nearest FAA FSDO office for the up to date and non hearsay process.

3 or 4 years ago, you needed an FAA medical, write a short exam and do some paperwork. Just like Americans have to do to get a TC ATPL.

Congress passed new regulations so that now you will have to do all the above plus....

The written exam is much bigger, and most importantly you have to get a certificate for the following...

Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certification Training Program (CTP). In 2013, the FAA published § 61.156, which prescribes the minimum training a pilot must complete in order to obtain an FAA ATP Certificate with an airplane-category multiengine class rating. It requires the ATP CTP to be completed prior to the FAA issuing an ATP Certificate with an airplane-category multiengine class rating to an individual. The ATP CTP includes training in: aerodynamics, automation, adverse weather conditions, air carrier operations, transport airplane performance, professionalism, and leadership and development. The training program is intended to impart conceptual knowledge through academics, and to consolidate that knowledge through training in a flight simulation training device (FSTD). The training program is designed to provide an applicant for an ATP Certificate with an airplane-category multiengine class rating with the knowledge and competencies required to function effectively as a professional flightcrew member in an air carrier environment.

This will cost several thousand dollars (USD$) and take a week or more of your time ...regardless of experience. It also includes simulator time...

FAA Advisory Circular

PS: Americans don't have to do a similar course to get their Canadian ATPL...just do the paperwork/medical/test like we used to....and TC doesn't care that Canadian ATPL holders have to jump through those hoops.

forgive me but you are trying to get the CANADIAN ATPL  and already posses an FAA ATPL correct?

I would contact the nearest TC Regional office and ask them.  you have already done the FAA requirements.

There are plenty of Aviation Medical Examiners in the GTA

4 hours ago, boestar said:

forgive me but you are trying to get the CANADIAN ATPL  and already posses an FAA ATPL correct?

I would contact the nearest TC Regional office and ask them.  you have already done the FAA requirements.

There are plenty of Aviation Medical Examiners in the GTA

No. I have both Canadian and Chinese ATPLs and seeing if it’s feasible to get an FAA licence.

Just now, Rich Pulman said:

No. I have both Canadian and Chinese ATPLs and seeing if it’s feasible to get an FAA licence.

ah ok I misunderstood the original post

It used to be a simple process. FAA medical, Air Law Exam (50 questions) then take results of both to nearest FAA office which for Toronto is Rochester. All type ratings transferred to the little credit card sized licence.

As already mentioned it has become more complicated and expensive. 

Archived