Congestion at YEG

Fido

Tomorrow is the grand opening of the new mall right on the access road.

They are already warning to give extra time if you are going to try and get to the terminal.

It otta be interesting.

9 hours ago, Fido said:

Tomorrow is the grand opening of the new mall right on the access road.

They are already warning to give extra time if you are going to try and get to the terminal.

It otta be interesting.

I wonder why YEG didn’t put it inside the terminal like every other airport these days?

I saw that construction at YEG last summer and my first thought went back to four years ago to when some genius opened a new outlet mall west of Mississauga next to one of the busiest stretches of commuter road in the country. Predictably, the commute home was a nightmare for over a month.

Yep right near my place.  They had to close the off ramp from the 401 due to the congestion to get into the parking lot.  Luckily the novelty wore off when people realized it is all just overpriced crap being sold for a slightly lower price.

Still busy there on the weekends

7 hours ago, blues deville said:

I wonder why YEG didn’t put it inside the terminal like every other airport these days?

Don't forget YVR.

Designer Outlet

McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport is a luxury shopping destination located on YVR’s Sea Island, steps from Canada Line’s Templeton Station. It features the best European and North American luxury, premium and lifestyle brands—with year-round savings of up to 70 per cent.

Hours of operation

• Monday to Saturday: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
  • Sunday: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.

McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport
1000-7899 Templeton Station Rd
Richmond, BC
V7B 0B7

Getting here

• McArthurGlen Vancouver Airport is about 20 minutes from Downtown Vancouver by Canada Line.
  • A 3 minute walk from Templeton Station, the Canada Line is a quick and convenient way to reach the Designer Outlet.
  • If you are driving from Vancouver, take Highway 99 south to the Arthur Laing Bridge. Follow the exit signs to Airport—Main Terminal. From here, follow signs for Designer Outlet and you'll find approximately 2,000 spaces in our free parking lot adjacent to the Designer Outlet.
  • If you're cycling, this map shows the location of the Designer Outlet.

About the project

A 50 per cent owner, Vancouver Airport Authority formed a joint venture with McArthurGlen Group, Europe’s leading developer of luxury outlet malls, to develop the centre. McArthurGlen Vancouver Airport is an innovative source of non-aeronautical revenue, funds which go to support airport operations.

Highlights of the outlet

• Increase the region’s destination appeal for visitors and travellers.
  • Creation of local jobs.
  • Options for shoppers to help keep local dollars within the community.
  • Public and entertainment spaces.
  • Environmental compatibility with the local area and installation of foot and cycling paths that fit into existing regional trail networks.

I remember the day the YVR mall opened.  Unfortunately, my normally 30 min drive to work turned into 1.5 hours with most of that spent about 2 miles from YVR.  There was a few crews delayed that day getting to work.

Based on the amount of traffic, you’d think the mall was only going to be open for one day.

2 hours ago, vanishing point said:

I remember the day the YVR mall opened.  Unfortunately, my normally 30 min drive to work turned into 1.5 hours with most of that spent about 2 miles from YVR.  There was a few crews delayed that day getting to work.

Based on the amount of traffic, you’d think the mall was only going to be open for one day.

A little like chasing the cheapest air fare and then bitching about the result............................ Surely a dumb idea opening a discount mall on the road to the airport. How is it now?

Archived