AA orders more 787’s.

I had thought that there was kind of a consensus in the industry that Boeing wasn't likely to get further orders the the 787-8.  Any idea why AA.wanted more of this aircraft rather than the -9 or -10?  AA doesn't operate many routes that require the 787-8's range.

4 hours ago, FA@AC said:

I had thought that there was kind of a consensus in the industry that Boeing wasn't likely to get further orders the the 787-8.  Any idea why AA.wanted more of this aircraft rather than the -9 or -10?  AA doesn't operate many routes that require the 787-8's range.

The consensus doesn't apply to the AA order. Yes Boeing did stop selling the 788, but mostly because they offered discounts on the 789 and not 788. A good salesman always uses the line "For a little more money, look at all the extra features by going with the upgraded model. 

In AA case, the decision was either stay with the 330neo or go over to the 788. They didn't have a mission for  another 50 789s. Put it another way, if Boeing said "sorry we're not making anymore 788s", then AA would have said "sorry" to Boeing. 

The bigger Q, does this mean Boeing will open the 788 to other airlines? If Boeing does open up the 788 to discounting, I could see both AC and WS making follow on orders for the 788. 

I would not be surprised to see the 787-8s on relatively short-term leases until a true 767 replacement is available from Boeing.

In any event under McAllister Boeing has been a lot more aggressive while Airbus has become much less so and pretty open to letting customers walk away from launch pricing orders.

1 hour ago, Super 80 said:

on relatively short-term leases until a true 767 replacement is available from Boeing

I doubt that a 'short-term' lease would cover the years it will take to design a 767 replacement.

23 hours ago, FA@AC said:

The -8 and -9 have almost identical range.  Edit...just checked and the -9 has 280 miles more range.  

Archived