Disagreement in the flight deck

conehead

Can you imagine the shock when Canadian Air Force pilots went to airlines ???

In the RCAF the instructional  syllabus was such that if you could build the aircraft you were going to fly, "they" would allow you to fly it !! 

After 28 years of the RCAF I joined the airline industry and my first "high tech" aircraft was the A310 and every time we asked the instructor about how things worked, (systems etc), we were told .."You don't have to know that...in the event of a malfunction the ECAM will tell you what to do". 

I was fortunate,  perhaps a bit stubborn after being DND for that length of time, and  was paired up with an Airbus developer from Toulouse France who rode along with us for a week or so in WD...... and I picked his brain so much that he gave up, and handed me his personal, very detailed binder and one night in the hotel in OW I photocopied it ($38.00 worth of paper), and learned more from his notes than I did from the AOMs.

I think the breed of pilot is now entering the industry  doesn't have the background, the experience or the desire to sink into the books....it is all magic and the young kids can handle the technology,  like their  video games, but we have all heard, read, or seen incidents where the lack of complete understanding of aerodynamics and systems can lead to a disaster. 

I have learned to live with technology but still want to know how it all works  but as far as the actual  fun in flying, in the airline industry......well  that is all gone and fortunately I only had to live with the locked door for two years.

Good luck guys/gals and no matter what seat you sit in..NEVER let the other pilot put you in harms way.....:o

On 2018-01-09 at 4:30 PM, UpperDeck said:

Kept us occupied for a bit. Down here in sunny Florida, it's NOT sunny and rain threatens so I'm sipping tea ( Yes...tea) in the salon watching the clock slowly edge towards cocktail time.

Nice. Pace yourself. :)

On 1/9/2018 at 5:21 PM, Kip Powick said:

Can you imagine the shock when Canadian Air Force pilots went to airlines ???

In the RCAF the instructional  syllabus was such that if you could build the aircraft you were going to fly, "they" would allow you to fly it !! 

After 28 years of the RCAF I joined the airline industry and my first "high tech" aircraft was the A310 and every time we asked the instructor about how things worked, (systems etc), we were told .."You don't have to know that...in the event of a malfunction the ECAM will tell you what to do". 

I was fortunate,  perhaps a bit stubborn after being DND for that length of time, and  was paired up with an Airbus developer from Toulouse France who rode along with us for a week or so in WD...... and I picked his brain so much that he gave up, and handed me his personal, very detailed binder and one night in the hotel in OW I photocopied it ($38.00 worth of paper), and learned more from his notes than I did from the AOMs.

I think the breed of pilot is now entering the industry  doesn't have the background, the experience or the desire to sink into the books....it is all magic and the young kids can handle the technology,  like their  video games, but we have all heard, read, or seen incidents where the lack of complete understanding of aerodynamics and systems can lead to a disaster. 

I have learned to live with technology but still want to know how it all works  but as far as the actual  fun in flying, in the airline industry......well  that is all gone and fortunately I only had to live with the locked door for two years.

Good luck guys/gals and no matter what seat you sit in..NEVER let the other pilot put you in harms way.....:o

Interesting Kip. I'm now kinda isolated in my government job and am not seeing what is entering flight decks commercially. By "commercially", I mean 704/05 operations. But over 10 years ago, overseas, I did see the very junior entrants who had managed to join the contract world.

That actually fuelled my decision to leave the contract world (amongst some other unbelievable events). I know full well that I can now go into retirement (another 3-5 years, inshalla) not having dumped another dozen or more candidates with insufficient hands & feet qual's into the industry. Selfish thought? Yeah, probably...

KP asks; "More importantly .... why would anyone care".

And then answers the question ... "but (I) still want to know how it all works".

The 747 has just 2 mlg legs on each side btw. Sounds like you need to join a breakfast club too.

:D

Thanks to the 'lurker' for the following information.

"PV3-300-16 Main System Engine and Air Motor Driven Pump Hydraulic power for the left and right systems is supplied by two 48 gpm (182 L/min), 4315 rpm, variable displacement, 3000 psi (207 bar), pressure compensated inline pumps. Displacement is 3.0 cu.in./rev. (49.14 ml/rev). Dry pump weight is 40.10 lbs (18.18 kg)."

On 2018-01-11 at 12:25 PM, DEFCON said:

Thanks to the 'lurker' for the following information.

"PV3-300-16 Main System Engine and Air Motor Driven Pump Hydraulic power for the left and right systems is supplied by two 48 gpm (182 L/min), 4315 rpm, variable displacement, 3000 psi (207 bar), pressure compensated inline pumps. Displacement is 3.0 cu.in./rev. (49.14 ml/rev). Dry pump weight is 40.10 lbs (18.18 kg)."

So each pump is 84 HP.

http://www.metaris.com/hydCal/HP.asp

Archived