Disagreement in the flight deck

conehead

Years ago we had two Captains battle for the left seat in front of boarding passengers. One was a former hockey player. The other not. The pair earned nic-names Pebbles and Bam-Bam. One was fired. One kept his job. 

I wouldn't want to speculate how the FO may have responded to a female giving him orders, but for her to have abandoned her primary responsibilities during a crisis in command is ... 

23 hours ago, st27 said:

Need to work on their selection process.

Slaps the Captain and then goes looking for her in flight. Brilliant! 

Today’s Boeing manuals for pilots are so “need to know” based and I think you would need to know the flow rate of the hydraulic fluid in GPM. So it’s a 3000 PSI system and maybe 2 GPM.........how about four healthy Clydesdales? They can pull those Budweiser wagons loaded with beer so 12 landing gear should be a snap.

Blues....you sly devil....1gpm @1500 psi = 1 hp. Ipso facto...3000 psi @2 gpm = 4 hp.

I love this.....I know and understand nothing but with the aid of the internet and Blues, now know how many hp is required to raise the 747 landing gear.

Now then....why did Defcon " need to know"?

3 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Blues....you sly devil....1gpm @1500 psi = 1 hp. Ipso facto...3000 psi @2 gpm = 4 hp.

I love this.....I know and understand nothing but with the aid of the internet and Blues, now know how many hp is required to raise the 747 landing gear.

Actually...DEFCON was asking about the 777 main landing gear;)

3 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Don’t know. He still hasn’t graded my paper yet. :(

Thanks Blues;.

UD's calculations are accurate enough and because we know it's going to take a lot more than 4 hp to do the job, it's pretty clear the 2 gpm value is way too low.

To answer UD's question; a related discussion took place amongst a number of old guys that frequent a regular local breakfast establishment. A search of the internet did not provide the answer and so, I thought I'd ask the man that appears to have a special interest in the massive legs of the aircraft he operates.

13 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Actually...DEFCON was asking about the 777 main landing gear;)

Ok, sir. I mis-typed but whilst on the subject, how many hp to raise the MAIN LANDING GEAR of the 747?

2 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Thanks Blues;.

UD's calculations are accurate enough and because we know it's going to take a lot more than 4 hp to do the job, it's pretty clear the 2 gpm value is way too low.

To answer UD's question; a related discussion took place amongst a number of old guys that frequent a regular local breakfast establishment. A search of the internet did not provide the answer and so, I thought I'd ask the man that appears to have a special interest in the massive legs of the aircraft he operates.

Ah!! I see...old guys stuff. I thought it might somehow relate to the force necessarily expended in efforts to modify certain actions or reactions.

The 777 MLG is definitely an amazing piece of engineering. 

I recall my previous Boeing type manuals contained more technical information in each system chapter for the pilot to review and understand. More recently I’ve noticed revised editions are now much more need to know vs. nice to know. The only reason I can think of is that when your airline purchases a Boeing aircraft they will of course provide you with full document and information support but only in English. So if this doesn’t happen to be your native language it can be a challenge. Keeping POM’s as simple as possible seems to be the current method for this plane maker. When working with the pilots I fly with now it seems system function during training and afterwards is rarely discussed. Almost never because again the Boeing manuals are all in English. In my previous years we would make a point of reviewing systems during line training in cruise to improve each others level of operating knowledge. Also, perhaps passing on something you’ve found to be helpful to the trainee. Some pilots would eat up anything they could learn and others not so much taking in just what they needed. 

Anyway DEFCON thanks for question. Interesting.

EF46FA0F-278E-4EE5-BF95-919CC4EB3C8B.png

2 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Ok, sir. I mis-typed but whilst on the subject, how many hp to raise the MAIN LANDING GEAR of the 747?

Well I believe each main gear assembly on the 777 weighs in at 6000 lbs (2 x 6000=12000 lbs), and  the 747 has 3 sets of gear on each side and I believe that those three sets weigh in at very close to 6500 per side or (2 x 6500 =13000 lbs)

I think the answer to HP (above post) required to lift the gear on a 777 is a quite bit low  but based on the numbers, the 777 would take less HP to raise the main gear vs the 747803028627 `s of 10 HP

More importantly......why does anyone care ?:lol:

I'm torn.  At this point in my career I have experienced aircraft courses that include the thread pitch on the bolts that hold the lav seat on and courses that were basically limited to; how many wings, how many engines - and done.  Having good system knowledge can help in certain circumstances but I have also seen it lead to making decisions based on what a guy thinks he knows.

Archived