Air Canada "Scary" Landing in YWG

Kip Powick

Passengers on an Air Canada flight had a rough landing after a mechanical problem with the tires brought it to a sudden halt after touching down in Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon.

The plane was coming from Vancouver and landed at the James Armstrong Richardson International Airport shortly after 3 p.m.

"Out of all the plane travel that I have done, it was probably one of the scariest moments I've ever had on a plane," said United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg president Alex Forrest, who was among the passengers on the plane, as was Liberal MP Bill Blair.

No one on the plane was injured, and vehicles were sent out to bring people into the terminal, said Tyler MacAfee, spokesperson for the Winnipeg Airports Authority.

After it came to a stop, the captain told the passengers that wet snow and water in Vancouver got into the brake system and froze, causing all tires on the plane to burst upon landing, Forrest told CBC News.

He said he was watching the movie Die Hard, and at first thought the loud pops he heard were part of the movie.

"When you hear the pop and you feel plane shuddering, you don't know what's going to happen but as soon as that plane stopped, there was a huge sigh of relief from every single passenger."

The passengers waited on the plane for about half an hour until vehicles started shuttling people to the terminal, Forrest said. 

MacAfee couldn't say exactly what mechanical problem the plane experienced, but confirmed there was at least one flat tire. The incident isn't affecting other operations at the airport, and the other runway is fully operational, MacAfee said.

(((((Can this really happen??...I know on wet/slushy runway departures it is pretty much SOP to leave the wheels down longer than normal to  "blow' water/slush off the under carriage))))

Passengers on an Air Canada flight had a rough landing after a mechanical problem with the tires brought it to a sudden halt after touching down in Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon.

The plane was coming from Vancouver and landed at the James Armstrong Richardson International Airport shortly after 3 p.m.

"Out of all the plane travel that I have done, it was probably one of the scariest moments I've ever had on a plane," said United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg president Alex Forrest, who was among the passengers on the plane, as was Liberal MP Bill Blair.

No one on the plane was injured, and vehicles were sent out to bring people into the terminal, said Tyler MacAfee, spokesperson for the Winnipeg Airports Authority.

After it came to a stop, the captain told the passengers that wet snow and water in Vancouver got into the brake system and froze, causing all tires on the plane to burst upon landing, Forrest told CBC News.

He said he was watching the movie Die Hard, and at first thought the loud pops he heard were part of the movie.

"When you hear the pop and you feel plane shuddering, you don't know what's going to happen but as soon as that plane stopped, there was a huge sigh of relief from every single passenger."

The passengers waited on the plane for about half an hour until vehicles started shuttling people to the terminal, Forrest said. 

MacAfee couldn't say exactly what mechanical problem the plane experienced, but confirmed there was at least one flat tire. The incident isn't affecting other operations at the airport, and the other runway is fully operational, MacAfee said.

(((((Can this really happen??...I know on wet/slushy runway departures it is pretty much SOP to leave the wheels down longer than normal to  "blow' water/slush off the under carriage))))

21 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Moderator.....can you combine this post with the other.??

I have no idea why it is on the board twice.

I don't recall  posting it twice

Thanks.

I’m not saying you did this Kip, but a common error I see being made is people double clicking web page links. They treat them the same as when they open files, but they’re not. On your computer, the mouse pointer should change shape (typically a pointing finger) whenever you hover over a link. 

At QK, you brief and announce that the landing gear would be retracted, re-extended then retracted. The theory being that all the shaking, juddering and wotnot would rattle the slush off. Never had a problem myself in the Maritimes (King of Slush region). The -146 had probs with freezing brakes in the early days but that got sorted out.

usually not an issue because the brakes get sufficiently hot during taxi.  Especially Carbon brakes (if you are using them correctly) This generally keeps the slush liquid and it blows off during the climb out.

However it could have been a single cold wheel that caused the issue.  It is not unheard of to have a failed brake that is not hot.  Indicative of a mechanical problem.

36 minutes ago, boestar said:

usually not an issue because the brakes get sufficiently hot during taxi.  Especially Carbon brakes (if you are using them correctly) This generally keeps the slush liquid and it blows off during the climb out.

However it could have been a single cold wheel that caused the issue.  It is not unheard of to have a failed brake that is not hot.  Indicative of a mechanical problem.

Agree on brake temp but what if you had a short taxi with a cold aircraft to a severely contaminated runway? From news reports (and JO) it sounds like they had a nasty weather day. 

WJ had a flight from YVR to YWG approx the same time. In YWG they spent 2.5 hrs clean the ice/slush/snow off the underside of the aircraft including the gear and cx the next flight. It looked like the days in a King Air in the Arctic where we carried a screw driver to pry the braked 

On 12/20/2017 at 12:15 PM, blues deville said:

Agree on brake temp but what if you had a short taxi with a cold aircraft to a severely contaminated runway? From news reports (and JO) it sounds like they had a nasty weather day. 

AFAIK there is a procedure for that in the AFM.  I believe it was mentioned earlier.

Archived