Monday Morning Mini Mystery

Kip Powick

10 minutes ago, Lakelad said:

Driving in 'Park' or really stringing out 2nd gear?

That's it..:P.The gear shift lever is in "ParK" while they go down the hi-way. It shows in two places, the beginning, and when the driver arches his eyes..

Surprised it took 28 views and then I remembered...probably all the "young guys" were viewing and have probably never driven an automatic with the shift lever on the steering wheel column :lol::lol:

52 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

That's it..:P.The gear shift lever is in "ParK" while they go down the hi-way. It shows in two places, the beginning, and when the driver arches his eyes..

Surprised it took 28 views and then I remembered...probably all the "young guys" were viewing and have probably never driven an automatic with the shift lever on the steering wheel column :lol::lol:

You're probably right of course but the car appears to be a 1955 or '56 Ford Fairlane.  I was going to say that that car was probably available with a column mounted 3-speed and that as Lakelad mentioned he could have been driving the thing in 2nd gear.  Further research shows that the standard transmission was a floor shift however.  I was also going to mention something about driving a standard with your arm around the girl - difficult but not impossible, all you have to do is only shift when you're going straight and use your left hand to shift by reaching through the steering wheel to grab the shift lever.

28 minutes ago, seeker said:

You're probably right of course but the car appears to be a 1955 or '56 Ford Fairlane.  I was going to say that that car was probably available with a column mounted 3-speed and that as Lakelad mentioned he could have been driving the thing in 2nd gear.  Further research shows that the standard transmission was a floor shift however.  I was also going to mention something about driving a standard with your arm around the girl - difficult but not impossible, all you have to do is only shift when you're going straight and use your left hand to shift by reaching through the steering wheel to grab the shift lever.

And to support seeker's rebuttal.:D It def. could have been in 2nd.

7 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Or fourth!

All of a sudden, the black and white explanation is grey. EXPLAIN THAT Mr. Moderator!!!!!!:box:

Couldn't be 4th, 4-speed column shifters do exist but not for a '55 Fairlane.

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

And to support seeker's rebuttal.:D It def. could have been in 2nd.

Good find on the video, shows the shift lever position in 2nd.  I edited my post but guess I didn't hit the "save" button and I guess it's not clear that I was saying it's couldn't be a manual transmission because the '55 Fairlane had a floor shifter for the manual transmission option.  Your video shows a '55 Ford truck which, apparently, did have the column shifter.

4 hours ago, seeker said:

Good find on the video, shows the shift lever position in 2nd.  I edited my post but guess I didn't hit the "save" button and I guess it's not clear that I was saying it's couldn't be a manual transmission because the '55 Fairlane had a floor shifter for the manual transmission option.  Your video shows a '55 Ford truck which, apparently, did have the column shifter.

Looks like the car did offer a 3 speed manual shift. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-1956-ford-fairlane-crown-victoria5.htm

ransmissions
Conventional Drive 3-speed manual, synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd gears
Overdrive automatic 4th gear ratio (0.70:1), cuts in at 28 mph, cuts out at 22 mph
Speed-Trigger Fordomatic 3-speed with automatic planetary gear train and single-stage, 3-element hydraulic torque converter; automatic low-gear starts with wide-open throttle; illuminated Safety-Sequence Selector to control panel just above steering column

37 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Looks like the car did offer a 3 speed manual shift. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-1956-ford-fairlane-crown-victoria5.htm

ransmissions
Conventional Drive 3-speed manual, synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd gears
Overdrive automatic 4th gear ratio (0.70:1), cuts in at 28 mph, cuts out at 22 mph
Speed-Trigger Fordomatic 3-speed with automatic planetary gear train and single-stage, 3-element hydraulic torque converter; automatic low-gear starts with wide-open throttle; illuminated Safety-Sequence Selector to control panel just above steering column

Yes, I did say that a 3 speed manual was available on this car but it was a floor shifter.

Here are pictures of both manual and automatic;

BTW, the red paint code for the '55 Fairline is M0175 and it uses 185/80 R 15 tires.

7167377736_804076364b_b.jpeg

IMGP4316.jpeg

It appears that the 1955 Fairlane sedan did have 3 on the tree. Anyway, thanks to all for the puzzle, something to check out during a break from housework. This video says it is a 1955 ford fairlane but a rare model with 3 on the tree.

ford.jpg.48e57bbc94f8800d7b60807fdde7cbe3.jpg

On 4/4/2017 at 5:36 AM, seeker said:

Couldn't be 4th, 4-speed column shifters do exist but not for a '55 Fairlane.

Fair 'nuff. I'm the first to admit, I'm the last to know anything about cars, nor the least interested! But I do remember some of the old days!!!!!!!

Archived