Jet Blue Pilot Training Program

blues deville

How much you want to be that they will charge $100,000 plus!! Like Ryan Air it will be another profit centre!

I'm sure it won't be free but a pilot will now have a job after investing time and money in this career.

Also, does Jet Blue see this as method of attracting future pilots away from the legacy carriers or do they foresee a pilot shortage in the US?

All of the above, in my view

-profit centre

-early lock up of pilot pipeline, we can almost guarantee that these cadets will have limited to zero job mobility. By the time they have enough experience to be wanted elsewhere, nobody will want to leave because of the percieved "sunk cost" of seniority they'd be giving up

-pilot shortage...really but not really. There is no shortage if you pay more. This is about grabbing supply before the price moves up. Definite first mover advantage in the US market.

Regardless, to me this will drive compensation up...for others. Not for cadets that sign on the line. They will have no bargaining power forever so its a bit of a deal with the devil if you ask me.

The regional as "Academy" model was pretty severely broken by the 1500 hour rule. Cadet programs are probably inevitable, but how that works well in a world without very many second officers seats is another question.

I would hope it works better in a mainline setting.

If you need an ATP to hold the right seat now, I presume the school will need to lease out their Cadets at some point in the process so they can earn the requisite experience. A program like this might not be such a bad idea.

Archived