Images That Make You Wonder...

Mitch Cronin

I was asked by my Squadron CO to reply to a letter written by a lady who was complaining about the horrendous noise of 3 C-130s in formation, flying very low over a parcel of land just north of YTR.

I 'did my thing' and sent my reply and signed off for the CO. Later he called me in and said it was a fairly well worded letter but he felt I had been a bit over dramatic with my closing line........which was......

Again, we regret any disturbance we have may have caused by our three aircraft during Low Level Tactical Air Lift manoeuvres, however, we trust you will understand that there are occasions where you will be subject to the 'Sound of Freedom' during our required training missions.

The lady never sent another letter........that I know of :Grin-Nod:

Somewhat similar story during the early sixties, CF-100 days, in North Bay. Again it was a lady who phoned about noise and was put through to the Sqn Ops centre.

The gent on duty asked her if the aircraft were "Ours or their's". "Ours of course" was the reply, "Thank God for that" he said, and hung up.

• 3 weeks later...

Beware: Aircraft Crossing! Another insanely low approach photo

Gilze Rijen is one of those famous airports where planes flew very low final approaches.

After the U.S. F-4E Phantom about to touch down on spotters heads in June 1984, here’s another ultra low final approach at Gilze-Rijen, this time by a Royal Netherlands Air Force NF-5A.

Taken in Winter 1987 by Jan Klijs, the photo depicts a Dutch NF-5 flying with the 316 Sqn, about to land at Gilze Rijen.

The aircraft touched down short of runway 28 but the fence was low and the aircraft wasn’t damaged too much.

Just a close call for both the pilot and anyone in the vicinity.

Image credit: Jan Klijs

post-26-0-93343200-1392502066_thumb.jpg

Archived