Scoot 777

should say "FlyScat"

Knowing what I know about the operation, that livery would have to have been approved at the most senior levels within SIA.

The problem with all the "airline within an airline" concepts is that they require an entrepreneurial flair to be successful, yet they are controlled by the corporate mothership, who, almost by definition, have none of those characteristics, indeed, are threatened by the concept and effectively smother it before it's even launched.

The successful LCC's, (Ryanair, Southwest, WestJet, jetBlue, Air Asia etc) were created by people who worked outside the box, not by established "airline think" people.

The first outfit that figures this out and does it properly will rewrite the book on the "airline within an airline" phenomina.

The rest will muddle along mired in constant under achievement, much to the chagrin of their shareholders, perpetually wondering "what might have been?"

Knowing what I know about the operation, that livery would have to have been approved at the most senior levels within SIA.

The problem with all the "airline within an airline" concepts is that they require an entrepreneurial flair to be successful, yet they are controlled by the corporate mothership, who, almost by definition, have none of those characteristics, indeed, are threatened by the concept and effectively smother it before it's even launched.

The successful LCC's, (Ryanair, Southwest, WestJet, jetBlue, Air Asia etc) were created by people who worked outside the box, not by established "airline think" people.

The first outfit that figures this out and does it properly will rewrite the book on the "airline within an airline" phenomina.

The rest will muddle along mired in constant under achievement, much to the chagrin of their shareholders, perpetually wondering "what might have been?"

Long time reader - first time poster....

Would Jetstar not be considered a successful loco 'airline within an airline'?

Cheers

I guess you have to define "success".

It's not particularly difficult to reallocate costs to make one venture profitable at the expense of a related venture.

How successful has Qantas been over Jetstar's short history?

The key to these ventures is to ensure one isn't successful at the expense of another. It's doable, but requires discipline and a BoD that thinks long term rather than how to develop a spin off that will line the pockets of a select few at the expense of all others.

It's not particularly difficult to reallocate costs to make one venture profitable at the expense of a related venture.

The key to these ventures is to ensure one isn't successful at the expense of another. It's doable, but requires discipline and a BoD that thinks long term rather than how to develop a spin off that will line the pockets of a select few at the expense of all others.

That's about as accurate a description of Jetstar as one could possibly write.

Let's just say I'm not about to blindly jump on the Qantas / Jetstar bandwagon.

I've seen more than enough very expensive and ultimately futile attempts by legacy airlines to transform themselves over the years.

It's pretty obvious to me that if you recycle the same cast of characters who lack any sort of successful start up LCC experience and who recycle the same failed ideas and strategies using the same resources and methods to do the same things over and over again, why would the result be any different than before?

The goal in an "airline within an airline venture" is to have 2+2=5. It is doable if it is done correctly.

In this case, 2+2=3. Heads I win, tails you lose.

Scoot has yet to operate an ASM, so it's a little early to be proclaiming their success.

It is also very intriguing to watch AIr Asia's pull back on long haul flying.....

:cool:

Here's an innovative suggestion for Qantas.

1. Make a list of all the routes operated.

2. Rank them in terms of profitability

3. Eliminate the bottom 15% of routes that are probably the root cause of 50% of the losses.

4. If 15% of capacity is eliminated, reduce costs by 15%

5. Do not chase market share.

6. Repeat #5.

I guess you have to define "success".

How successful has Qantas been over Jetstar's short history?

Makes sense - thank you for the reply. Ironic that Calin has openly cited the QF/JQ example as a shining beacon worthy of imitation with regards to AC. I wonder whether he truly understands the points that you raised and their impact on the perceived viability of any venture or whether it's a distraction/diversion tactic whilst actively working towards another end game...

From that article: "In fact, CEO Campbell Wilson told me they ripped out 2.5 tons of cable from each plane to save on fuel. To balance that, Scoot rents out iPads for $17 for the entire flight."

I'm not buying the "2.5 tons" but I'll betcha when you include the seatback displays, it was substantial....

Now THAT is a good idea mr. CR ought to be paying some attention to!

More evidence of the "success" of the Qantas/Jetstar partnership......

From Plane Business:

Qantas: From Bad to Worse

qantas.jpg

Last week Qantas's shares dropped to the lowest price in history. In one week, the airline's market value dropped more than $1 billion.

The drop was so severe the airline announced that it has hired Macquarie Group Ltd. in an attempt to ward off potential hostile takeover bids.

Its stock plummeted after the airline announced it would post its first annual loss since the stock went public in 1995.

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that a stripe around the cowling or is it painted that way inside the translating reverser sleeve?

It appears to be a stripe on the cowling using a combination of colors.

Archived