Yyz Arrivals

Are there new arrival routes for traffic coming from YUL and YOW? I am seeing jet traffic flying well south of their normal arrival route into YYZ. Also, does Porter have some kind of YTZ arrival that includes flying over the Oshawa NDB?

I don't mind the sights and sounds but my neighbors are asking what is going on?

The redesign was part of a joint effort between Nav Canada,FAA, and industry including the National Airlines Council of Canada. Air Canada through retired Captain Brian Harkness and Westjet's Captain David Deere carried out many hours in the simulator flying the redesigned routes measuring fuel and time costs with the goal of producing more efficient descent profiles with less flat spots. The enroute portion realigned some of the existing airways and created a number of new waypoints designed to make transitions to the airway structure more efficient. There were some changes made to the Toronto Island arrival and departure routes but I wasn't involved in that part of the project so i'm not exactly sure what they changed.That is basically the Cole's notes version but it was a huge undertaking and although it is nowhere near the original plan, Nav Canada invested a lot of time, resources and money to carry out this project. They held regular meetings with the players to discuss issues, concerns and timelines. From what I saw they did a good job.

From a users point of view, 80% of the arrivals into yyz, seem to be a waste of energy, either having to keep the speed up [which compromises the arrival] or having to slow down [which means using speedbrakes] to satisfy ATC requmt's.Least of which, is because of waypoint realignment, jets can no longer use rwy 28 for departure in yul, which means longer taxi time/fuel burn, which, imo, negates the whole excercise in the first place.

Archived