It All Fell Apart

Kip Powick

Wow....... The Canadians did well for two periods in Buffalo tonight and then came the third period....

Leading 3-0 against the Russians and then the Russians pop in 5 unanswered goals.

In the 3rd period the Canadian kids looked like each of them were dragging a piano behind them during each shift.......the high energy/spark plug performance just wasn't there from the moment they hit the ice, for that final period.

I feel sorry for those kids, they tried so hard, (well at least for two periods), and then basically "seemed" to give it all away.white.gif

Even in the first two periods where they were playing well, I was very disappointed by their power plays - I think there were three. They basically went to sleep and nearly allowed two short-handed goals. They didn't make hay while the sun shone. I think the Russian strategy was to let them play themselves out with the physical game, then nail them in the third when they were tired. The Russian team in the third period was not the same team as in 1 & 2. Congrats to those young fellows and coach. I'm not a fan of NHL "rock 'em, sock 'em" hockey, but this was a great, clean game.

At the very least that game should have gone into overtime tied 3-3. There were 2 very soft goals. In the third period the Canadians played exactly how the Leafs play for the majority of their games. Got give the Russians credit for not giving up and just sucking the momentum out of the Canadians.

Now, it seems, the entire Russian team has been booted off their Delta flight home for "unruly behaviour".

The Russian junior hockey team was kicked off a Delta Air Lines flight early Thursday for “unruly behaviour,” officials said.

The Russian delegation spent much of the night celebrating their 5-3 World Junior victory over Canada in the bar of a Buffalo hotel.

Thirty players and other members of the group were asked to deplane after boarding Delta flight 1266, which was scheduled to depart Buffalo for Atlanta at 6:10 a.m.

“In order to ensure the safe operation of the flight, the crew of flight 1266 denied boarding to 30 passengers who were flying together and displaying unruly behaviour and those passengers are being rebooked on a future flight,” said Betsy Talton, a Delta spokeswoman. The agency that operates the Buffalo Niagara International Airport called in extra police “just to make sure that nothing did happen,” said C. Douglas Hartmayer, director of public affairs for the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority. However, he said, officers did not have to intervene.

While Ms. Talton would not discuss the identities of the 30 unruly passengers because of airline policy, Mr. Hartmayer confirmed they were the Russian delegation.

The Russians stayed at the Adam’s Mark Hotel in Buffalo and marked their victory in its bar, singing and toasting well into the night.

The Russians stayed at the Adam’s Mark Hotel in Buffalo and marked their victory in its bar, singing and toasting well into the night

Interesting how a group of under 20 hockey players got to party it up in a public bar in a state with a drinking age of 21. Things that make you go Hmmmm. And who was the moron who booked thm on a 0610 flight the morning after the gold medal game. :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head:

Archived