Olympics c'est fini

Canada.... Damn you make me proud! :tu:

I missed the game today (was busy singin' in a church - believe it or not!) dangit, but I just watched the closing ceremonies... and I have to say, well done! Well flippin' done, to all!!

The CBC will change their focus and start reporting on the "Renewed Ottawa Games". cool.gif

story link

However not to take away from the games in YVR, the following story pretty well sums it up.

Olympic Story Link

The games started off on a sad note and a little rough, but boy oh boy did they finish well!!!! very well done Canada!!!!! We set a record for most gold in a games and what a great hockey game yesterday. I need to tip my hat to the USA hockey team as they played and excellent game.

but I just watched the closing ceremonies... and I have to say, well done!

Really? I found the closing ceremonies to be pretty cheesy myself.

Moose, Beavers, Courier de Bois, who on this forum have seen any of these, let alone have it as your identity?

I was hoping for something a little more cosmopolitan and classier.

I'm sorry,....no I'm not.

Just watched the tape -

Neil Young - perfect!, but where the heck was Anne Murray? Major faux pas there boy!

...Spread your tiny wings and fly away,

And take the snow back with you where it came from on that day.

.... :whistling:

Really? I found the closing ceremonies to be pretty cheesy myself.

Moose, Beavers, Courier de Bois, who on this forum have seen any of these, let alone have it as your identity?

I was hoping for something a little more cosmopolitan and classier.

I'm sorry,....no I'm not.

I'm with you, I thought the closing ceremony was lame. After the 17 days that were absolutely amazing in terms of people, atmosphere, party, pride, sport, and enthusiasm I was hoping we'd celebrate more about what we are and have become and less played out stereotypes.

Lame? Is that the best you can do? We came up with the perfect descriptive adjective: "cringe-worthy".

The opening part where the mime pretended to pull up the fourth column of the cauldron was clever. After that it became increasingly appalling.

What a bunch of sticks in the mud! We took ourselves pretty seriously for 17 days, and personally I think a little levity at the end was a good thing. I watched some of the foreign media coverage this morning and everyone seemed to have enjoyed the ceremony. I think it helped to restore some of the innocence that we may have lost in the world's eyes with our Own The Podium program. Good idea, bad name, IMHO.

I just wish they'd had a few more entertainers from my generation at the end. Neil was a great start but there are so many others who are recognized around the world. Randy and Burton come to mind, although a rousing rendition of American Woman would probably have been a bit inappropriate. stirthepot.gif

We Owned the Podium, alright. The GOLD podium!! Grin-Nod.gif

From out here in Dotland......the beginning of the closing ceremonies was pretty dull....... although I did enjoy the head of VANOC attempting Frenchbiggrin2.gif .(He actually did fairly well)

The funniest thing I ever heard in the entire ceremony was when the "we're sorry" skit came out and Alex was handed his Gold medal and was voiced over with "I'm sorry, I'll have it bronzed"....Grin-Nod.gifGrin-Nod.gif

The Russian effort certainly didn't entice me to go there in 2014. All in all it was pretty good but certainly not excellent.

The main thing we should all remember is that the entire 14 days started in not so great fashion but as the Games progressed I think everyone, except Pravda, and the UK tabloids, (and really ....who cares about them?) felt it was very successful.

The women's and men's hockey teams did us proud and really pulled the country together..hopefully we remember how close, and patriotic we all felt on that last day .....and finally.........my journey through life has taken me to almost every country in the world, from the slums... to Royalty ....and when asked what country I preferred I have always said with a lot of pride..... "CANADA"

mo32a

With the exception of the Courier du bois(I'm too young to remember them)well yes moose tend to find their way into the city and beavers are very common place here on the prairies.

In the beginning lame and appalling came to mind but then I realized that we were doing what Canada does so well- taking a poke at ourselves. I especially like the maple leaf girls wearing a tartan. My only concern is that the rest of the world "wouldn't get it". Do we really care? We know what a great nation we are and I think we proved that to the world.

Good job, Vancouver and our athletes. As a nation, you did us proud.

Archived