Airport Bird Dogs

blues deville

They probably graduated from a good US journalism school.....like the one that produced Sarah Palin. Forget that part of the article though.....what a great dog! We had one and she wouldn't let any birds nest or land on her turf.

Not that it matters but I think the dog is a Border Collie cross, not a pure a bred. I don't think the purebred Collie has ears like that...at least ours didn't.

We had a pure bred on the ranch and they are wonderful dogs. Ours was trained to herd cattle and we used her extensively with the herd.

When she was not working, she used to sneak throiugh the grass and get behind one of our horses and then leap up and grab on their tail and swing a couple of times before the horse almost booted her with their hoofs !!

Guest rattler

Apparently, just like people, their physical appearance varies.

Appearance

As Border Collies have historically been selected for working ability, and not looks, they vary widely in appearance. , Australian Shepherd In general, they are medium-sized dogs , Pomeranian without extreme physical characteristics and a moderate amount of coat. , Manx Their double coats , Akbash Dog can be anywhere from slick to lush, and can come in many colours, , Paso Fino Horses although black and white is by far the most common; tricolor (black/tan/white) and red and white also occurs regularly, with other colours , Society Finch (Bengalese Finch) such as, blue and white, red merle, blue merle, or sable seen less frequently. Eye colour , French Trotter - Norman Trotter varies from deep brown to amber or blue with occasionally one eye of each colour. , Akbash Dog The ears , McNab Collie of the Border Collie are also highly variable - some have fully erect ears, , Akbash Dog some fully dropped and other are semi-erect (similar to that of the Rough Collie). Although working Border Collie handlers may have superstitions about the appearance , Pomeranian of their dogs , Akhal-Teke Horse (many handlers do not prefer red dogs, , Meyers Parrot or mostly white dogs), in general a dog's appearance , Lipizzan horses is considered  irrelevant. It is much more useful to identify a working Border Collie by its attitude and ability, not its looks.

Border Collies bred for the conformation ring are much more uniform in appearance , Patterdale Terrier than working Border Collies, since to be successful show dogs , Cirneco dell'Etna they must conform to kennel club standards , Rottweiler that are specific on many points of the anatomy and furnishings. Kennel clubs specify that the Border Collie must have a keen and intelligent , Australian Shepherd expression; the preferred eye colour , American Curl is generally brown. In deference to the dog's working origin, scars and broken teeth received in the line of duty are not to be counted against a Border Collie in the show ring.

Guest rattler

I thought that perhaps the ears had been "clipped" for appearance. Thankfully not.

Ear cropping is something that I wish would happen to the dog owner rather than the dog.

From a "dog expert" on the Net..

Most Border Collies in photos have semi-erect ears, or ears that fold over at the edges (like Rough Collies), but there are also some with totally erect ears, and some that have lop-ears, or ears like a Labrador Retriever.

...so I guess there are all types wink.gif

When she was not working, she used to sneak throiugh the grass and get behind one of our horses and then leap up and grab on their tail and swing a couple of times before the horse almost booted her with their hoofs !!

That dog had a sense of humour! biggrin.gif

Years ago we brought the farm 10 year old Border Collie into the city for the winter cause my Mom didn't like the way my "new" Aunt treated her. For the first week she chased the cars driving in front of our house. Then one day she must have reasoned out that it wasn't worth chasing every car as there were far too many. From then on she became a real city girl and just ignored the cars!

Border Collies are way too smart for many humans!!!! Shelties are next!!!

If you search the Net you find one dog expert who states that Border Collies are very hard to totally domesticate. The standard "rule" is 'no-ranch-no dog'.

Apparently they have been bred to always be busy and "herding' is their instinct and if they have nothing to do, apparently they become very agitated and want to chase anything. It also stated that they are not good around small children because they want to "herd" them and if the child makes any sudden moves the dog may "snap" at them.

Anyhow, ours was on the ranch until she died and always slept in a shed.....I loved that dog.

We had several Border Collies on the farm when I was a lad. Three of them were female, and they all could be counted on to bring the herd in from the pasture with a single command. The one and only male, who was a real free spirit and fun to watch, was also a complete whack job. He just had to be on the move any time he was awake, so he'd chase the cattle in the field just for fun. One day, the matriarch of the herd decided she'd had enough of his antics, and my father saw her kick him so hard he flew about 10 yards. Even once his broken ribs had healed, he showed no desire to chase cows any more. Instead, he decided to chase birds and squirrels, or to run circles around inanimate objects. Most of our trees had a 10 ft circle around them where the grass was worn away. One morning, as we were standing at the end of the driveway waiting for the school bus, the nut bar came running toward us hot on the heels of a fleeing sparrow. He ran right onto the road into traffic, and as my sister shreaked and I cringed, he ran behind the drive wheels of a semi and popped out the other side before the wheels of the trailer could hit him (lucky SOB). Six weeks later, while chasing another bird, he didn't get so lucky. He hit the driver's side door on a VW Beetle. He hit it so hard that the driver couldn't open the door. Sadly, the dog got the worst of it.

YVR had two border collies, Sky and Fly I believe were their names.

They roamed the airport for quite awhile, they were trained not to go on paved surfaces, so they could roam around on their own more or less.

Archived