Sunwing

Thebean

Tough crowd.....

#1 - I ended up here by googling sunwing review so I could warn others who knew as little as we did going in. I have no clue what this site is for and dont really care.

#2 - We got zero consideration from Sunwing for being on our honeymoon despite hearing from others that other airlines bent over backwards to make their experience memorable.

#3 - We paid for our own wedding and honeymoon because our parents are all on disability. So sorry for looking for the best deal.

#4 - I always get upgraded to the seat with the most legroom by other airlines because of my height and the inconvenience it causes both myself and the crew. Got a $7k first class ticket to NZ for the price of coach from a real airline, Air New Zealand.

#5 - my complaint/warning was to anyone else in my boat who also was going on their first ever package vacation and wasn't aware as to how bad sunwing is and how little they care about delivering what is promised. For those (who probably work for sunwing) insinuating that it's the hotel's fault, it is actually a package deal with promises made directly on sunwing's website and they should be expected to make good on what they promise to entice business. However, that is not on their priority list.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, why do fat people get a second seat for free because they can't put down a fork but my being born tall requires me to pay extra to be able to fit my legs in the 18 inches of space provided?

I know this case went to the supreme court of Canada and was struck down but the concept to its most basic tenets is preposterous.

Tough crowd.....

#1 - I ended up here by googling sunwing review so I could warn others who knew as little as we did going in. I have no clue what this site is for and dont really care.

Well, that's part of your problem right there. This is a website primarily used by airline people (not exclusively though). To say that you know nothing about this site and don't really care to know but you still want a sympathetic ear shows a certain self-centered attitude (this point could be made about your point 4 as well).

#2 - We got zero consideration from Sunwing for being on our honeymoon despite hearing from others that other airlines bent over backwards to make their experience memorable.

Look, the airplane and hotel are full of people who are celebrating, or mourning, important life events. You should have got the wine you expected, you should have got the room upgrade and dinner. As for the seat upgrade, nope, sorry. You knew that the seat you paid for would be terribly uncomfortable and you should have known that going cheap would risk having you sitting apart from your new bride but you rolled the dice on this to save the 40 bucks. Profit margins on this type of vacation are razor thin - if the airline made a habit of upgrading every honeymooner and every person who looked uncomfortable, well, they'd make no profit at all. You get no sympathy from me for going cheap here.

#3 - We paid for our own wedding and honeymoon because our parents are all on disability. So sorry for looking for the best deal.

I got no problem with looking for the best deal but you need to restrict your complaints to things that you actually paid for and didn't get rather than including all the things you hoped to get but didn't.

#4 - I always get upgraded to the seat with the most legroom by other airlines because of my height and the inconvenience it causes both myself and the crew. Got a $7k first class ticket to NZ for the price of coach from a real airline, Air New Zealand.

Whoa, stop right there. This is the stuff that drives me crazy - you got comped a hugely expensive seat once and now you're using that as the standard of measure as to what's right? You're going to be very disappointed with your life because this is a rare, rare thing. You should be gladly paying for the seat upgrade on the next 20 trips you do because you got the comp rather than expecting to get it every time.

#5 - my complaint/warning was to anyone else in my boat who also was going on their first ever package vacation and wasn't aware as to how bad sunwing is and how little they care about delivering what is promised. For those (who probably work for sunwing) insinuating that it's the hotel's fault, it is actually a package deal with promises made directly on sunwing's website and they should be expected to make good on what they promise to entice business. However, that is not on their priority list.

Right, you should have got the things you paid for. The rest of the stuff is because you went cheap.

Thanks for the clarification seeker. I definitely feel entitled to consideration due to my height, but I also think that is because I give so much courtesy to others whenever possible and shouldn't just assume I get it in return.

My apologies for the rudeness with the don't care comment, I was taken aback by the response I got when I was trying to post a warning on sunwing to as many places as possible when frustrated that I didn't do my research ahead of time.

I'll move it along now and in the future will book ahead of time with more reputable carriers who charge more up front but in return show more concern for the overall guest experience and don't try to make it up with an $80 each way for you and anyone who wants to sit with you tall tax.

Thanks for the info.

Guest rozar s'macco

This reminds me of a passenger who cornered me just prior to a B1900 flight I was operating years ago from somewhere Alberta to YYC, "are we going to be on time? I have a connection in Calgary." UH, yeah pal you and EVERYONE ELSE ON THE AIRPLANE. That's why it's called a "CONNECTOR" airline.

Or the Service Director when queried by the arrival agent if there are any "specials" on board to which she replied, deadpan, "they're all special."

ZING

ps. Air New Zealand is a somewhat large network, national, some would say "legacy" airline with multiple classes of service. Sunwing is a niche vacation charter low cost tour operator. You could have flown AC....just sayin'.

Tough crowd.....

Apology from other posts accepted. For future reference a better site for your customer kvetching would be flyertalk.com. However there is no forum specifically for Sunwing (too small in the global sense), also you would likely get a more hostile response from fellow customers than what you received on this forum. I will attempt to respond to your points from a frequent traveller perspective.

To get special consideration from the airline, you must be a very frequent traveller, the most frequent of frequent travellers (think George Clooney’s character in “Up in the Air”). This select group of travellers flies over 100,000 miles per annum and spend tens of thousands of dollars on airfare.

As a recovering frequent traveller myself (I’m in a 12 step program called parenthood), I cringe whenever I read travel stories that point out honeymooners should mentioned their newlywed status to see if it gets them special perks. I suppose the special perk request got newlyweds special treatment in the days when most honeymoons were a quick trip to Niagra-on-the-lake rather than to a Sandals resort. Today’s honeymoon reality is that a lot of Montego Bay fliers are on some sort of honeymoon or other special event. As was mentioned elsewhere “everyone is special”.

No harm in looking for the best deal, most people do it all the time. The package vacation industry (of which the airline industry is part of) has also let you down. If you by chance happened to book through a travel agent, perhaps that person raised your expectation to unrealistic levels. Also the honeymoon package tour brochures also leave unrealistic impression of special treatments. For that we are sorry your expectations were not reality.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would not expect your ability to upgrade based on height to continue for much longer. In the past most airlines did not charge for seat selection and all seats within a specific class of service were created equal.

Today’s reality is that airlines are rapidly reconfiguring their economy class cabins to offer more legroom for a fee. United Airlines started charging for extra legroom about 7 years ago, Since then Delta, British Airways, American Airlines, even Air New Zealand have all rolled out more legroom for a fee. Air Canada will charge nonElite flyers $35 to sit in an exit row. Westjet also does the same thing (charge for seat selection with an increased charge for exit rows and bulkheads).

Last night, my wife attended a local radio stations 30th birthday party. She had won tickets to the party and part of the prize was a 1 in 300 chance to win a Sunwing Vacation tour to Mexico. Last week she called me at work after getting on the radio “caller number 9 – you won”. I reminded her that I only fly Air Canada Vacations or Westjet Vacations and she asked why. I simply mentioned that Sunwing puts 30 extra souls on their 737s compared to WestJet. She went to the party hoping that someone else would get stuck with the Mexico tour. Her wish came true last night.

• 1 month later...

Sunwing has a new customer:

Decision No. 213-A-2012

June 8, 2012

APPLICATION by Sunwing Airlines Inc., on behalf of itself and Corsair carrying on business as Corsairfly, pursuant to section 60 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended, and section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended.

File No.:

M4835-82-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunwing Airlines Inc. (Sunwing), on behalf of itself and Corsair carrying on business as Corsairfly (Corsair), has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an approval to permit Corsair to provide its scheduled international service between France and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Sunwing between France and Canada, for a period of three years or such longer period as may be authorized by the Agency, commencing on June 11, 2012.

Sunwing has also requested an exemption from the application of subsection 8.2(2) of the Air Transportation Regulations (ATR), which requires the filing of an application for an approval at least 45 days before the first planned flight. The Agency finds that compliance with subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR is impractical in this case. Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(1)© of the Canada Transportation Act (CTA), exempts Sunwing from the application of subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR.

Corsair is licensed to operate scheduled international services in accordance with the Agreement on Air Transport between Canada and the European Community and its Member States, signed on December 18, 2009.

The Agency has considered the application and the material in support and is satisfied that it meets the remaining requirements of section 8.2 of the ATR.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)( of the CTA and section 8.2 of the ATR, approves the use by Corsair of aircraft and flight crew provided by Sunwing, and the provision by Sunwing of such aircraft and flight crew to Corsair, to permit Corsair to provide its scheduled international service on licensed routes between France and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Sunwing between France and Canada, for an indefinite period commencing June 11, 2012.

This approval is subject to the following conditions:

1.Corsair shall continue to hold the valid licence authority.

2.Corsair shall apply its published tariffs, in effect, to the carriage of its traffic. Nothing in any commercial agreement between the air carriers relating to limits of liability shall diminish the rights of passengers as stated in such tariffs.

3.The air service approved shall only be provided as long as a code-sharing agreement providing for such service remains in effect.

4.Corsair and Sunwing shall continue to comply with the insurance requirements set out in subsections 8.2(4), 8.2(5) and 8.2(6) of the ATR.

5.Corsair shall continue to comply with the public disclosure requirements set out in section 8.5 of the ATR.

6.Corsair and Sunwing shall provide the Agency with a copy of any new agreement or amendments to their code‑sharing agreement, including any new or amended annex, without delay.

This should make for a happy day on the 6th floor of a certain office tower on Park Avenue in Montreal.....

:cool:

This should make for a happy day on the 6th floor of a certain office tower on Park Avenue in Montreal.....

:cool:

That company on Park Avenue is self-destructing without external assistance. Like a deer caught in the headlights, it doesn't know what to do.

QUOTE (shockwave @ Aug 31 2008, 01:00 AM) Ok bean you had me worried there for a second........

Yeah... I don't trust anyone who doesn't drink coffee... or wine.

Or better yet vodka

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)( of the CTA and section 8.2 of the ATR, approves the use by Corsair of aircraft and flight crew provided by Sunwing, and the provision by Sunwing of such aircraft and flight crew to Corsair, to permit Corsair to provide its scheduled international service on licensed routes between France and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Sunwing between France and Canada, for an indefinite period commencing June 11, 2012.

Does this mean that Canadian Sunwing pilots will be trained to fly Corsair F-reg airplanes???

What does the CTA have to do with allowing a Canadian company to provide planes to a French company?

Fishy...

Archived