Hunting for a new friend

Mitch Cronin

...because all good aviators love their animals, right?! wink.gif )

Wondering if anyone here might have any personal experience with Bernese Mountain Dogs?.... and if so, what can you tell me about them? (I've read all that can be found,[Edit] - Lies! All lies! There's way more to read![/Edit] but I don't know anyone who has one that can add anything) Looking at possibilities... maybe a Bernese/Lab cross...?

I LOVE that breed! We never owned one ourselves, but friends of ours did, and I always thought she was the most loving, lovable creature.

She was very smart, family friendly, and beautiful to look at.

I think they make wonderful pets.

Cheers, Jennifer

Friends of ours have this dog and we are considering getting one. Lovable with a great personality. Our Lab absolutely loves when she comes to visit (take that with a grain of salt though because our Lab loves everone smile.gif)

Nice to see you thinking about adding a new family member after your loss last year:)

Guest rattler

Friends of my have two companions of this breed. Very intelligent, loving and gentle. The male presently weighs in at 150lbs.

Bouvier des Flandres Breed Standard

Herding Group

General Appearance

The Bouvier des Flandres is a powerfully built, compact, short-coupled, rough-coated dog of notably rugged appearance. He gives the impression of great strength without any sign of heaviness or clumsiness in his overall makeup. He is agile, spirited and bold, yet his serene, well behaved disposition denotes his steady, resolute and fearless character. His gaze is alert and brilliant, depicting his intelligence, vigor and daring. By nature he is an equable dog. His origin is that of a cattle herder and general farmer's helper, including cart pulling. He is an ideal farm dog. His harsh double coat protects him in all weather, enabling him to perform the most arduous tasks. He has been used as an ambulance and messenger dog. Modern times find him as a watch and guard dog as well as a family friend, guardian and protector. His physical and mental characteristics and deportment, coupled with his olfactory abilities, his intelligence and initiative enable him to also perform as a tracking dog and a guide dog for the blind. The following description is that of the ideal Bouvier des Flandres. Any deviation from this is to be penalized to the extent of the deviation.

They are fabulous animals Mitch.

We looked after one for a short time and wished that the owners wouldn't come back. She was the most loving friendly well behaved dog you could own. She even won over our own dog who wasn't real keen about somebody else invading her territory.

If you have the room - go for it!

Thanks all!

Knowing what I know already about dog's health problems... and reading what I have about the potential for such problems with this breed, I'm thinking a cross might be a really good idea...

I'm really not sure, but we're thinking about these little fella's:

user posted image

...they're from this ad: http://peterborough.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-...QQAdIdZ32182069

Cheers, and I do hope y'all have a very Merry Christmas! smile.gif

Mitch

To all you dog lovers out there and those who understand the difference between Yankees and Southerners...

A Translation Of Yankee Dogs To Southern Dawgs

(Yankee) German Shepherd Dog

(Southern) Poh-leece Dawg.

(Yankee) Poodle

(Southern) Circus Dawg.

(Yankee) St. Bernard

(Southern) "Thank Gawd, Here Comes The Whiskey Dawg."

(Yankee) Doberman Pinscher

(Southern-2 versions) Bad Dawg, or Dobimin Pinches.

(Yankee) Beagle

(Southern) Rabbit Dawg.

(Yankee) Rottweiler

(Southern) Bad Dawg AND Mean As Heck Dawg. Good dawg to guard the still.

(Yankee) Yellow Lab

(Southern) Ol' Yeller Dawg.

(Yankee) Black Lab

(Southern) Duck fetchin' Dawg.

(Yankee) Greyhound

(Southern) Greased Lightnin' Dawg.

(Yankee) Malinois

(Southern) Another kind of Poh-leece Dawg.

(Yankee) Blue Ticks, Red Bones, etc.

(Southern) Prize Coon Dawgs.

(Yankee) Pekinese

(Southern) Mop Dawg.

(Yankee) Chinese Crested

(Southern) Nekkid Dawg.

(Yankee) Dachshund

(Southern) Wienie Dawg.

(Yankee) Siberian Husky

(Southern) Sled-Pullin' Dawg.

(Yankee) Bouvier, Komondor

(Southern) "What The Heck Kinda Dawg Is That?"

(Yankee) Great Dane, Mastiff

(Southern) Danged BIG Dawg.

(Yankee) Any dog that raids the hen house

(Southern) Egg-Suckin' Dawg.

(Yankee) Any lazy dog

(Southern) Good fer nothin' Dawg.

(Yankee) Any dog that's dead & buried & gone to Rainbow Bridge

(Southern) Best danged Dawg I ever had

Mitch

I know you prefer a larger dog have you checked out the Australian Shepherd (not australian cattle dog) ? Nice size dog and very smart. Many owners have them in flyball and obstacle course as they are so quick.

Of course they are not as smart as my shelties or border collies but well worth checking out. You'd probably love a sheltie but I think they may be too small a dog for you.

When I'm out with my old guy everyone is amazed at how well behaved he is. Unfortunately he has bladder cancer and will not be long in this world.

The are so many wonderful dogs out there, it's really hard to choose a particular breed.

Gook luck to you.

When I got a dog it came down to finding one who really needed a home,

I agree...to a certain extent as I am a bit torn. One son had 2 purebred Labs, from a breeder, the other had an Australian Shepherd and an Australian Cattle dog, both from the dog pound.

Four really great dogs that were well trained by their new owners.

OK, how about this one;  I think there is soon to be a litter of bird-dog pups coming available....

A new breed is born, the Quack Russell terrier laugh.gif

Archived