F18 groundloop

Mitch Cronin

BTW.... I reckon I've paid enough taxes by now that I should get to play with one of our F18's for a while.... Just a little cloud busting.... maybe a buzz or two over folks I know... a little easy airwork.... some stuff I never dreamed of before... ??? Please? huh.gifcool.gif

Sorry Mitch,

Taxes and cloud bustin' notwithstanding, your mission – should you choose to accept it – will be to replace the MLG on this particular Hornet. After that, rumour has it you'll be transferred to the 910 crew... wink.gif

mic

Guest Kilo Mike

Typical Marine Corps pilot .... 5 kt crosswind and things go to h*ll and and hand basket ... Sheeshh wink.gifbiggrin.gif

As an aside , I'm surprised they stayed with it given the F18 is equipped with a zero zero seat. Going sideways into the rhubarb is not something I'd be inclined to hang around with.

As an aside , I'm surprised they stayed with it given the F18 is equipped with a zero zero seat. Going sideways into the rhubarb is not something I'd be inclined to hang around with.

Well...an ejection is not fun for one.

If the speed was less than 80 kts it was a pretty good chance they would be safe and if they did eject, it would probably prevent the aircraft from ever flying again. wink.gif

Why Handyman? 2 new seats and a canopy cost that much? is anything else damaged during ejection?...or is any of that stuff reuseable?

Being as that is an American bird, and one built to hit carrier decks, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find the gear only needed new wheels after all that... The stabilator, on the other hand??... Heck, they ain't meant to be used as spades!

Based on the position of the flight controls and what the driver was attempting to do with them in an effort to stay straight I would "guess" that if they punched out the aircraft may have "tumbled" down the runway...or boonies and ended up as a heap of puzzle parts......but then again that would depend on when they wanted to pull the handles. huh.gif

Why Handyman? 2 new seats and a canopy cost that much? is anything else damaged during ejection?...or is any of that stuff reuseable?

Being as that is an American bird, and one built to hit carrier decks, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find the gear only needed new wheels after all that... The stabilator, on the other hand??... Heck, they ain't meant to be used as spades!

The burning rockets cause alot of damage to the fuselage as the seats climb the rail. wink.gif

Based on the position of the flight controls and what the driver was attempting to do with them in an effort to stay straight

You can see he was trying to keep the nose down while he spun. Too bad he forgot the control reverse when going backwards! ohmy.gif

Too bad he forgot the control reverse when going backwards! ohmy.gif

Aren't you maybe asking a little too much? Few people (even fast jet jocks) can think that fast. I can't recall ever training for my airplane going backwards down the runway!

Aren't you maybe asking a little too much? Few people (even fast jet jocks) can think that fast. I can't recall ever training for my airplane going backwards down the runway!

No, I just pointed out a fact. I'm sure 99 out of a 100 would do the same but that doesn't change the fact that the controls reverse! cool.gif

Guest Kilo Mike

Too bad he forgot the control reverse when going backwards! ohmy.gif

or that the f18 has rudder / aileron nosewheel interconnect with it's flight controls. Makes for a wild ride during crosswind landings .... Hence the need to do a trap if the winds are too far off the runway centerline.

land ... try to keep into wing down with aileron ... interconnect makes unwanted input to rudder ... which makes input to nosewheel ... YEEE HAW Ride 'er cowboy.

This one turned out all right .. Theres been other cases where the a/c turtled and killed the crew so I'm surprised they stayed. Risky gamble IMO that turned out alright in this case.

Archived